Mic suggestions please

Author
lhansen
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4765
2010/10/06 15:31:42 (permalink)

Mic suggestions please

I'm shopping around a little..so..

If you had only $250 bucks to spend, what mic would you purchase (and maybe currently using) for recording acoustic guitar?? (Taylor 414ce)

The wife is actually allowing me this for Christmas (I know it's a bit early), so, I'm making a list of all you good folks suggestions here.

Fire away please, but, be gentle... I like doing a bit of homework.

Much appreciated,

Larry

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".

11 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Mic suggestions please 2010/10/06 16:09:42 (permalink)
    I usually use a Oktava Mk102 SDC - that is what I have here at home.  I got lucky when they were blowing them out and got 2 for $100.  One is about $250 now.

I'm sure others will pop in w/ their favs, that is just what I use (and on female vox, etc.).

Another one to look at is the crown CM700.  Front End has them for $279, which is close enough I'd hope.  Once again a good, pro mic that you won't have to upgrade for a long time.
    @
    post edited by AT - 2010/10/06 16:21:03

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re: Mic suggestions please 2010/10/06 16:58:28 (permalink)
    Larry I'm not sure what you use now, but you get such a great acoustic sound already it's hard to imagine you're going to improve it with a mic budget of $250.

Having said that, I was using a Rode NT1 on my Taylor and liked the sound... but had to get a 2nd one for stereo recording which I like a lot better! I record them to two separate tracks so I can adjust the balance and panning between the two, or even combine them to a mono track if that's what the song calls for. Or even just pick which track sounded better! Mic placement on an acoustic is finnicky to me, so I like to have that flexibility.
    windsurfer25x
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re: Mic suggestions please 2010/10/06 17:01:27 (permalink)
    I don't have any experience with Audio Technica's 20xx series, but the Audio Technica 2050 is around that price.. I've got some of their 40xx series mics and they're great! but a fair bit more.

Actually the Audio Technica 4021 would be worth looking at for sure, it's a small diaphragm condenser

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
    Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Mic suggestions please 2010/10/06 19:07:27 (permalink)
    i use a ADK Hamburg to record my Taylor 414.

love it.

look for used hamburgs.

here's an example of the taylor with the hamburg

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=661726&songID=7813406

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    Re: Mic suggestions please 2010/10/07 13:01:08 (permalink)
    At- I 've heard both good 'n bad on the Octava's..depending on who's opinion is correct (like all info), but a lot of folk do use them. i need to do a little digging to see who sells 'em. The Crown sounds interesting too. Thanks!

Dave- A couple of months ago, my AKG c414 died :(..and the cost for repair is too darn high and I don't have another 1k to drop down on another one (nor care too) I did get an inexpensive AT 2020 and having great results with it (makes me smile). I'm looking to build up a small, inexpensive mic locker, as they are my tone/eg for acoustic, and want to try different ones depending on the song. I'll have in my hands another acoustic (Takamine..solid mahogany, back & sides, with solid cedar top) before years end, so I have this feeling it my call for different mics. The Rode NT1a is on my 'list', so thanks for that!

Aaron - Just wrote down the AT mics you've mentioned as well!! I wish Sweetwater would send me a box of different ones to try out for about 30 days!! :))

Bat - Listened to 'High Time'..that is an excellent acoustic sound man! Warm! ADK Hamburg..I recall someone sending me a link to their web/mic site a couple of yrs. ago, so I'll have to revisit ( prices were very reasonable too)

Thanks again gents..I'm starting the hunt...

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Mic suggestions please 2010/10/07 14:59:11 (permalink)
    About the Oktavas - a few years ago there were chinese knockoffs that weren't too good.  And before that Guitar Center sold them as mass produced mics - pushing the Ruskies.  So there was a big failure rate (+ one in ten).  When I bought mine I tried them first to make sure they were OK - here in Texas (and a lot of other states) you can't return mics since singers tend to drool in them.

Visit OktavaUSA.com or Micheal Joly's site to get info on getting a "good" Oktava.  The Chinese aren't making any more and most of the badly made ones (they probably sound alright if you drink enough vodka) have been flushed out of the system and none of the newer ones should be bad.

I just know I've been very happy w/ the ones I got.   I'll send them to Joly to get pimped out if I ever get the money to do it, but they sound fine now.

But just about any of the mics listed should be good.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re: Mic suggestions please 2010/10/07 17:04:21 (permalink)
    Right, AT.  And I belive it's Joly's site that has the specs on which Oktavas were real and which one's werent.

If I'm not mistaken, even Guitar Center was very confused as to which ones were real and which ones were knock offs...so at one point they were selling those things dirt cheap.

I got 5 of them for $250 back then.  Every one of them....drum roll.....

AUTHENTIC!

I concur....they are some excellent sounding mics.  I still use one over the body when I'm doing acoustic guitar.  Generally, though, they get used on anything with quick transients...like acoustic guitar, drums, percussion, etc.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re: Mic suggestions please 2010/10/07 17:14:53 (permalink)
    http://www.gauge-usa.com/Larry, I think we talked about these before. Seriously, take a look and listen to the demo's.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re: Mic suggestions please 2010/10/07 17:17:23 (permalink)
    rsp@odyssey.net

http://www.gauge-usa.com/Larry, I think we talked about these before. Seriously, take a look and listen to the demo's. If you take the shot, and don't like it, I'll pay ya what ya paid and pay for the shipping to me.

Randy

post edited by rsp@odyssey.net - 2010/10/07 17:18:58

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Butch
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re:Mic suggestions please 2010/10/08 07:34:52 (permalink)
    A friend of mine knows a big time audio engineer from LA.  The engineer started his own mic company a few years back and I ended up with a "free sample".  I compared it to my Rode NT1 and my AT 3035 and it was way better than both and sells for less money.  Check out Guage Microphones.  I have the ECM-87 and it is awesome!

PS.  Their web site is great with audio samples and even an audio mic comparison with mics that cost many times more...I'm serious, check it out.

(Ha Ha Ha!  I just noticed the post above, so I guess I should have just said,"+1 on the Guage!")
    post edited by Butch - 2010/10/08 07:37:20

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Mic suggestions please 2010/10/08 10:43:25 (permalink)
    lhansen
    thanks man.
    yep, the ADK is a brilliant mic, especially for the money.

i like to post examples of stuff, so you can actually hear what it does.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1