so how do you record a harmonica anyway?

Author
guitardog247
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1226
2010/10/07 13:31:59 (permalink)

so how do you record a harmonica anyway?

I've only a large diaphragm condenser, sm57 and vocal dynamic (for live vox) mics to work with.

The condenser seemed too pick up too much, it was weird. Or maybe it was my settings or position?

Any tips or suggestions on what has worked for others would be great.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........

15 Replies Related Threads

UbiquitousBubba
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re:so how do you record a harmonica anyway? 2010/10/07 14:51:31 (permalink)
    This may be a little subjective, but I like the SM57 for this.  In my opinion, it doesn't sound as brittle as some of the condenser mics.  With a little EQ and minimal signal processing, you can get a pretty good sound with the old 57.
    EasTexGuy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re:so how do you record a harmonica anyway? 2010/10/07 15:12:16 (permalink)
    I can't play one... but... I've seen many do so and live you know they all seem to blow it right into the mic like their vocals, but for recording I'd also think the SM57 would be a good choice based on what some locals do at the music store/studio. It seems placement has a lot to do with controlling the sound also. They are like a couple of feet from the mic and aimed fairly off center. It sure sounds great when one is recorded well though.

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.
    guitardog247
    Re:so how do you record a harmonica anyway? 2010/10/07 16:15:49 (permalink)
    A couple of feet shure seems far away for a 57. No?

I was thinking inches, but need to control placement carefully.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:so how do you record a harmonica anyway? 2010/10/07 16:29:57 (permalink)
    close up with the 57.  most of the harmonica players I've seen have the mic right in their hands and hold the harmonica with the harmonica and mic cupped in their hands..... Willie Nelsons harmonica player and the Magic Dick  from J Giles both use the same technique.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:so how do you record a harmonica anyway? 2010/10/07 16:47:58 (permalink)
    guitardog247

A couple of feet shure seems far away for a 57. No?

I was thinking inches, but need to control placement carefully.

agreed!  a couple of feet will sound bad.  move it in close.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:so how do you record a harmonica anyway? 2010/10/07 17:42:26 (permalink)
    holding it is usually good w/ the harmonica mic (I forget the name and number but it is a bullet, I believe)  That is live, anyway and usually w/ a amp.  A dynamic should be good, anywhere from 6 inches to 2 feet.  As always, a lot depends upon variables.  Don't want a swinging player to knock your mic flying, and the more movement they use the more likely the sweet spot is going to disappear.  an LCD above, kinda like a singer, might work too.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:so how do you record a harmonica anyway? 2010/10/08 08:35:08 (permalink)

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:so how do you record a harmonica anyway? 2010/10/08 10:39:39 (permalink)
    guitardog247

I've only a large diaphragm condenser, sm57 and vocal dynamic (for live vox) mics to work with.

The condenser seemed too pick up too much, it was weird. Or maybe it was my settings or position?

There are a number of different harmonica sounds that are common in recordings and it depends on what you are going for. If you want the blues harp sound with distortion a crystal or dynamic mic (and maybe a little guitar amp) might be needed. If it's clear harmonica it's rare to want a close miced sound, it's just too harsh to fit in the mix unless you wash it out with some effect.  Distance from the mic and mic placement seem to be key in getting a sound that fits in the mix. A condensor mic can work but you may need to play with the placement. I like to put the mic up high and play under it, not right into it. Just being off axis can help soften it up a bit.  Harp and Tambourine are two of the few things I record at a distance, in some cases a big distance.
    EasTexGuy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re:so how do you record a harmonica anyway? 2010/10/08 11:14:48 (permalink)
    Interesting mouth harp recording
    post edited by EasTexGuy - 2010/10/08 11:16:05

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.
    guitardog247
    Re:so how do you record a harmonica anyway? 2010/10/08 12:25:18 (permalink)
    ohhey

guitardog247

There are a number of different harmonica sounds that are common in recordings and it depends on what you are going for. If you want the blues harp sound with distortion a crystal or dynamic mic (and maybe a little guitar amp) might be needed. If it's clear harmonica it's rare to want a close miced sound, it's just too harsh to fit in the mix unless you wash it out with some effect.  Distance from the mic and mic placement seem to be key in getting a sound that fits in the mix. A condensor mic can work but you may need to play with the placement. I like to put the mic up high and play under it, not right into it. Just being off axis can help soften it up a bit.  Harp and Tambourine are two of the few things I record at a distance, in some cases a big distance.

I'm not looking for the blues. So I am the condenser at a distance. I was trying too close with reeds right at the diaphragm. I need to play with mic positioning more. Just needed some hints that I was going about it right.
    thanks.

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:so how do you record a harmonica anyway? 2010/10/08 14:35:54 (permalink)
    Are you using a pop screen?

I would think you'd get loads of huge air blasts, more so than singing (apart from Death Metal)

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    GMGM
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 494
    Re:so how do you record a harmonica anyway? 2010/10/08 15:37:51 (permalink)
    What kind of style is the music? If you want that rockin' blues tone (where the guys hold the harp right up to the mic), don't forget that some of those guys like to run that mic through little tubey guitar amps (or amp sim ) for a little grit.

DAW: SONAR Platinum
    PC: i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz, ASUS Motherboard, 16G RAM
    OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit I/O: MOTU 8M / MOTU 8PRE / PreSonus DigimaxLT / M-Audio Oxygen 49
    guitardog247
    Re:so how do you record a harmonica anyway? 2010/10/08 16:27:51 (permalink)
    GmGm - As I said, I'm not looking for the blues. Clean folky sound, with major chord sounds....... So I thinks the condenser mic is the way to play with.....

Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:so how do you record a harmonica anyway? 2010/10/09 23:31:29 (permalink)
    You really should cup the harmonica when playing it, but a large condenser works well for the folky sound...I'd still try running it into a tube amp thogh.

I just did harmonica on this tune. I made a mic from a crystal element, and ran it into my Champ. I had the amp close enough for the mic to pick up the live and mic'd amp. Towards the end there is another part with just the amp and more dirt.
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9655326

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:so how do you record a harmonica anyway? 2010/10/10 02:59:25 (permalink)
    guitardog247

GmGm - As I said, I'm not looking for the blues. Clean folky sound, with major chord sounds....... So I thinks the condenser mic is the way to play with.....

Wow, almost forgot I have an example. Follow the link in my sig to my soundclick page. Then go to my music page and find the song Jenny. The harp was recorded with a AKG C414 BULS up about foot and back about a foot. I'm playing "under" the mic but back about a foot.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1