Building a drumkit in DropZone question.

Author
s2k
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/10/10 11:44:57 (permalink)

Building a drumkit in DropZone question.

So far I found you can assign only 2 elements (in my case a kick drum and a snare) to dropzone and use it in the piano roll view! I assign the kick drum to the frist key of the keybord in dropzone by greying out the rest using the Lo/Hi Key on Element 1.Then in Element 2 I assign a snare from the list and assign it the second key and do the same for it as i did for the kick drum.I want to keep on assinging other parts of the drum sounds to the rest of the keys in that dropzone but cant.I have to open another dropzone and assign 2 more parts of a kit and so on and so on.This is very involved but the drum sounds are more real than the TTS-1 kits themselves.Is it possible to assign all the parts of a drumkit to one dropzone keyboard so it can be used in one piano roll view?

10 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Building a drumkit in DropZone question. 2010/10/10 13:28:55 (permalink)
    IDK...since I do not use dropzone... but it sounds to me like you are doing things the hard way. 

First question: What version of Music Creator are you using?

If it's MC 5.... why not use the drums in it...? Not TTS drums either. Studio Instruments Drums..... sampled if I don't miss my guess... which means they should sound pretty real.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Building a drumkit in DropZone question. 2010/10/10 14:30:50 (permalink)
    I believe MC5 doesn't come with dropzone.
    If you plan on building a kit using dropzone, you'll have to use multiple instances of Drop Zone, preferably one for each drum.

There are other alternatives for producing drum kits. Dropzone is capable of using soundfonts as well as wav files. Many here also use the sfz+ professional which is now a free download from cakewalk ( SFZ+ )

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Building a drumkit in DropZone question. 2010/10/10 16:13:59 (permalink)
    look at my tutorial on drum maps in the MUSIC TOWN link in my signature.  you can use multiple softsynths for output of a single MIDI track using drum maps.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    s2k
    Re:Building a drumkit in DropZone question. 2010/10/10 20:28:48 (permalink)
    In response to Guitar Hacker im running MC4 and studio Inst. Drums didn't come with it to the best of my knowlege. To Tap....I am opening multiple DropZones with 2 samples per DropZone if thats what you ment by (instantces) and i did check out that prog you mentioned realy don't know if thats a route i should take until im more knowlagable about it.And Beagle ,I actually started looking into drummapping  earlier in the week before posting this.It too seems like a very involved process,however I did goto your tutorial and got to the step about routing or assigning channels and got lost.Heres what i did take notice of though,that when you route the channels from 1 thru 16 to the different parts of the list and put them all to TTS-1 instead of MS Wavetable then choose the drumkits you want patched at the bottom they will play on your piano roll keys channel by channel,but they are not playing the sounds listed in the drum map manager they are playing the sounds coming thru the TTS1 cause thats all they let you choose from when patching the sounds at the bottom of the drum map manager.I'll run over the tutorial again this week and see if I cant get it figured out,also on a sidenote following the tutorial i noticed the outputs got changed in the pics from TTS1 to the Drummap Managers Kit that was chosen,which i did as well maybe thats what i scewed up, who knows,but I'll give it another try and thanks to you all! 
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Building a drumkit in DropZone question. 2010/10/10 22:29:14 (permalink)
    Drop Zone already has complete drum kits with it. Have you tried them?
    One instance of DZ and different keys on the synth's keyboard, and different notes in the PRV and Staff views will trigger those drum samples.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Building a drumkit in DropZone question. 2010/10/10 23:13:22 (permalink)
    Copy that.
    Or, if you have ten bucks you can spare, Session Drummer 2 is available as a download. Not the best around, but certainly usable. It's been my go-to drums for a while.
    Also Proteus VX (free download, but may have some issues depending on your OS) has some nice drums.
    No sense making it harder than it needs to be.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Building a drumkit in DropZone question. 2010/10/11 00:07:34 (permalink)
    Just for kicks, and since I can't seem to write/finish any new songs, I did a little sampler of some of the Drop Zone drum kits. I used MIDI loops from Session Drummer 1 and ran them through DZ using different kits, bounced them to audio, and uploaded that to my personal website.
    Not the 'My Noises' link below, but the embarqspace link.
    Give it a listen.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Building a drumkit in DropZone question. 2010/10/11 19:48:12 (permalink)
    Greg is right. I had to back through the libraries to find them.  Not the greatest, but I believe it is possible to create your own sfz file from wav samples. I remember I was looking into this quite a while ago.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

s2k
    Re:Building a drumkit in DropZone question. 2010/10/11 21:23:18 (permalink)
    Wanna thank everybody for the help offered.I ended up following Roberts advice and dropped the 9.99 on session Drummer 2.This is exactly what i needed and it lets me bring the files over from DropZone to utilize thier kits and tweek um,I could never hear DropZones Kick drums and the Cymbals were overbearing when it came to their drumsets.Now I can control that.Someday though I want to get to the bottom of this drummapping thing just for the challange!
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:Building a drumkit in DropZone question. 2010/11/22 04:22:55 (permalink)
    The DropZone kits are great for providing a little more than a metronome type backing to build a song up from. The MIDI track created could also then be used to create a more sonic drum track with a more fully featured plug-in downstream.

What I have not been able to figure out is how DropZone is configured to trigger an entire kit using the usual GM keys. I can see that you can load 2 samples into it (hence the OP's post) and layer them, but a complete (even simplified) kit is more than that, anyone know how DropZone achieves that?
    post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2010/11/22 04:24:10

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1