Piano student needs some 'soul'

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/18 19:56:25 (permalink)
If it doesn't work out, she can always wear a hat.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/18 19:57:09 (permalink)
Always so practical. 
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/18 20:37:35 (permalink)
Janet

"A piano (basically speaking) is not an instrument that allows one to be emotive
or soulful."

Sorry Jimmy.  I'll have to beg to differ with you on that one. 

ME TOO....!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/18 20:46:38 (permalink)
This should help: Little bit of Soul

have her listen to this for 24 hrs straight... that'll fix the problem....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/19 06:42:05 (permalink)
I've met many technically skilled musicians to whom music is merely technique and sound, like math. And I've met many who don't know much about playing any instruments, nor are interested in seriously studying it, but who just "have it". They can create a catchy song with attitude only strumming an E7-chord.

There is always the possibility that a prodigy, a maybe-the-new-Amadeus, is something like a "25%" autistic talent, who will actually never have any emotions involved in the music.

If you ask her what kind of music makes her feel like crying, you might get hints about her feelings.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
tarsier
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3029
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/19 10:49:19 (permalink)
You need to have her play Chopin's Etude Op.25 #11 because "small souled men, no matter how agile their fingers, should not attempt it."

julibee
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2826
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/19 12:47:36 (permalink)
Janet, I'm with Legion... You can throw all the Dr. John and Ray Charles you want at her, and it might not tweak her ear.  I didn't understand any of that stuff until much later.  I'd suggest asking her what she listens to when she's on her own, and if she's ever played in that style.  I didn't feel anything until I started playing what I like.  No, it didn't necesarrily translate well to piano (seriously, Depeche Mode and Pink Floyd), but I TRIED HARD to make it do so.   At the time, all I had was a piano, so I did what I could.  And, it was so nice not to play Pachelbel AGAIN.

If you can draw her out, it could be amazing.  Maybe even ask her to try her hand at songwriting - you are certainly talented enough in your own right to help her to that end. 

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
DW_Mike
Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6907
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/19 19:14:49 (permalink)
I remember when I was younger (9-15ish), I was all about playing the drums and all the teachers I had said I showed a tremendous amount of talent.
Then when I was about 17 I started playing with a band who were a few years older then I was. Thats when I finally started to play with feel and emotion.
It just came through in their playing and I fell into the groove so to speak.

As a few others have stated, give her a good solid foundation and she'll do the rest.

Mike 

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
Janet
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/19 19:19:31 (permalink)
All great thoughts, guys.  Thanks!  Very helpful!  She just came for her lesson and is playing 'Dona Nobis Pacem,' obviously a very pretty song.  She almost has it down technically, but I encouraged her to now add feeling, sort of showing her the difference.  I asked her what it made her think of and she said and nice, quiet, winter evening around a fire.  And I told her to play that.  We'll see how that goes. :-) 

And yeah, Mike...what fun and inspiration it is to play with a good band.  Wow!! :-)

Jules, I wanna give her a chance at songwriting in the next few months too.  :-)
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/20 13:33:19 (permalink)
Here's another thought.  Daniel Barenboim (about whom I have mixed feelings) did a series of concerts in which he performed all the Beethoven piano sonatas.  The concerts are on DVD and the set contains two DVDs of master classes.  You can get the individual DVDs on Netflix.

I watched a bit of one of the master classes.  In the bit I watched, his student was technically perfect, but a little "dry".  It was fascinating to see how he was taught to add some subtile "soul" to his interpretation.  Let me suggest that you check one or both of these DVDs.  It might be just the thing to show your student to generate some inspiration about playing with passion.

But beyond that ... hey, she's thirteen.  She may "get it" next month or next decade or never.  If she's getting her technique down now, that's enough for the moment, IMO.
Janet
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/20 19:37:02 (permalink)
That's a great idea, David.  Thanks!  Actually, she's smart enough she'll probably get it when she's ready.  And she's definitely getting her technique down now.  Shoot, if only I woulda practiced that much at her age!!!
Janet
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/20 22:05:08 (permalink)
Tarsier:  Finally got a chance to look at your link.  Can't wait to read more of it.  I'm watching/listening to the Etude now.  Good grief! Wow!!!  It's the type of piece she'd probably kill herself learning in a couple years.  We'll see.  She'll probably have to get another teacher for that one though. lol  I have about 10 of his Etudes in some old piano books, but not that one. 

Herb--great jazz video. Thanks!  lol

Lance--Herbie Hancock is interesting. :-)

Jim--that Ray Charles video is pretty cool too.  Thanks! 
JLH2
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/21 09:56:19 (permalink)
To echo a lot of the posts :

It is important to find out what she likes. After that, you can help her analyze why she likes it. There is the possibility that it could end up being something that you don’t expect.

I grew up with a guy who was a gifted guitarist. His parents bought him a Gibson SG when he was 13 years old. He already had nylon acoustic and steel string acoustic guitars, and he played them to bits. He could play anything – rock, jazz, blues, country, classical, bluegrass, anything that came his way. He could listen to a song and work on it until he could play it flawlessly. The notes were perfect, timing perfect, tones perfect. The thing that irritated me the most was that he didn’t have any internal fire. His great love was in his ability to play, mostly his ability to conquer the mechanics of playing and his ability to capture something with his ear and accurately relay it to his guitar. His life was centered on doing rather than creating.

He ended up being a session guitarist in a small studio. He was a “go to” guy when somebody needed a backup/support musician, and he was good at it. He never wrote any music on his own, but he always had a paycheck and he was always happy with his chosen career.

Find out what motivates her and help it along. She will eventually pick her own course.

Jim 

P5N-D,E8400 3GHz,2x500GB SATA II,4GB Ram,GForce 9500GT,Audiophile 2496,Roland Strat,GI-20, SHS6,S7SE,S8PE,X1,Mustang Bass,SG 12 String 
Janet
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/21 10:11:48 (permalink)
You make some good points.  Some people are destined to be perfect.  Perhaps without soul, but perfect and happy about it.  Others can't even read music, but are dripping with soul and emotion and talent all in one.  And of course, there are many different flavors of musicians in between, some having varying degrees of both qualities somehow.  I need to try to figure out what type she is and help her be the best she can be, while also encouraging the other side a little if possible.
JLH2
  • Total Posts : 28
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/21 11:12:56 (permalink)
And it's not limited to music - it seems to pop up in anything that can be called "artistry". When you go to an art museum, the majority of the people there will be one of two types - those who "know art" and will collect anything that they can define as "real art", and those who don't "know" art but really know what they "like".

I'm one of those guys who can read music if given enough time - I can figure out the notes in a single bar if you give me about an hour or so. But I have the drive and desire to play anything that's on my mind at the moment. It's too bad that I'm also all thumbs and my playing stops just short of having the cops show up while the neighbors are pelting me with garbage.

(I would like to claim that I also have a ton of expertise in DAWs too, but I don't. Fortunately for me, you installed your home studio just about the same time I did - I really never had to post a bunch because you were already asking the questions that I needed answers to...)

Jim 

P5N-D,E8400 3GHz,2x500GB SATA II,4GB Ram,GForce 9500GT,Audiophile 2496,Roland Strat,GI-20, SHS6,S7SE,S8PE,X1,Mustang Bass,SG 12 String 
Janet
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/21 11:29:56 (permalink)
Oh, so my total ignorance was helping you too?  :-)  Wow--I'm sure I set the record for having the most questions. 
bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/21 12:51:53 (permalink)
My experiences in this area have been that it takes time and evolution for the student to grow here. I do know that one thing that will help is to teach or have her sing a song she likes. Explain she's not going to perform this song to anyone but alone to herself . Ask her to pick a song, she doesn't have to tell anybody about it, to include in her practice just for fun. See if she can pretend to sing it to an imaginary crowd. She won't have to spend no more that 10 min on it it doesn't have to be loud or anything like that. It's for her. Assign a simple melody and have her play only one note at a time but to make out like the piano is her voice. That way she can concentrate on the feel of what she's playing and not the technique and physical part of it. Soul is an individual thing and her's will emerge in time. It's our job tell help our students realize the possibilities in as many ways as we can. Hope this helped.

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/21 16:30:32 (permalink)
I'd fire her and get a student with enough soul.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
Janet
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/21 18:01:16 (permalink)
Great idea, Bill!

Mark, I can always count on you for great ideas!  Thanks!  :-)  (actually, she's one of my favorite and students are few and far between this year...)
jsaras
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/24 19:27:10 (permalink)
I am a firm believer that you cannot connect with the music on the deepest level until you have mastered the material to the point where you don't have to consciously think about it any more.  Achieving that level of mastery will vary depending on the inherent physical mastery required to perform that type of music.  One can be a blues "master" by just noodling on a six-note scale...and people respond because the performer isn't worried about the notes anymore.  If you're performing a Rachmaninoff concerto you should plan on spending 10,000 hours to achieve that same level of mastery. 

It's impossible to be in a spiritual place when you're worried about messing up the notes!

My $0.02.

J

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
Janet
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/24 19:51:29 (permalink)
Good points, Jonas.  At the rate she's going, she'll have 10,000 hours racked up in a year or so. 
faizjoks
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/25 07:32:46 (permalink)
I am sure we have all had students who are low on motivation at one point or another.  It’s not always easy to keep students practicing week after week.  To make matters complicated, every student is different something that motivates one student might not work for the next.
Janet
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/25 07:50:32 (permalink)
Unfortunately, a good majority of my students are low on motivation.  It's not until most people are adults (me included) that they realize what they wasted.  But this gal...well, her mom gets upset that she practices so MUCH! 

I'm sure she'll get the 'feeling' eventually.  Right now she's working so hard on the technique...and she'll be brilliant if she keeps it up.
Tap
Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4536
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/25 14:28:25 (permalink)
Janet,
I guess many have eluded to it here. To play with feeling ( Soul ), it comes from within.  Simply put it has to be there before it can just "come out". Since she seems to be technically capable of bringing it out, it's a matter of developing a style. The style comes from listening to a variety of music and finding what one really likes to listen to. It's the stuff that we start humming and when we reach for an instrument, try to play.  All you can really do is to introduce her to many different styles of music and how to approach playing them. You learned how to play by ear. Learning the music on her own, picking a song she wants to learn and trying to piece it together works wonders.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Janet
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/26 09:36:21 (permalink)
Good ideas, Jim.  Thanks. :-) 

How's Canada treating you? 
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/29 14:13:14 (permalink)
Hi Janet,
I read this thread with a lot of interest as I have a 4 yr old (who has a good ear and also sings quite well in key) whom I'm planning on giving/getting piano lessons (unfotunately, I'm just a self taught key banger)....
Can you recommend any tips/techniques on getting her started? (she's just learning to play through the C scale back & forth) Are there any websites you can suggest or books recommended for beginners?  

Sorry, I don't have anything additional to add to all the wealth of info above....

Thanks,

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Janet
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/29 14:34:01 (permalink)
Hi Mesh!

I've used Bastien Piano Basics for years.  There are other similar ones out there though.  (unfortunately, the names escape me right now.)  I get my Bastien books on Amazon for 1-49 cents each (plus shipping.)  I don't start students until they're 7 (maybe because that's what my mom did), but of course, if they're quite interested and capable, I'd start them earlier.  Do you read music?  If you do, I'd think you'd at least be able to get her started...and then just keep learning along with her.  If you don't and you're musical anyway (which you must be if you're here :-)  )  then, I'd guess that as long as you keep one lesson ahead of her, you could continue to teach her.  I'd like to know if that works if you try it. :-)  

Or you can go the Suzuki-type method and have her listen to songs then play them without even reading music for several months.  I don't really know much about that though.  Whatever you do, at this stage just make it fun for her and don't go so overboard that she loses interest. 
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/29 15:07:45 (permalink)
Thanks Janet!!
Your're absolutely right....must make it just fun for the moment (with a little direction)....
She does enjoy playing a particular note and singing it, so hopefully she'll get interested in playing a song and singing along....
I appreciate the advice!!

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Janet
Re:Piano student needs some 'soul' 2010/10/29 18:27:46 (permalink)
You're welcome.  She sounds pretty musical already.  I'm looking forward to seeing where she goes with it. :-)
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1