Getting a clip back and forth from an audio editor?

Author
silvercn
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1238
2010/10/19 07:50:27 (permalink)

Getting a clip back and forth from an audio editor?

I think I need to rephrase my question in simpler terms. Once I have repaired a a project clip in an audio editor (taken from my DAW)- what's the best / easiest way to return it.

THanks

11 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Getting a clip back and forth from an audio editor? 2010/10/19 08:52:08 (permalink)
    File > Import

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    silvercn
    Re:Getting a clip back and forth from an audio editor? 2010/10/19 09:10:20 (permalink)
    Simple enough.....but just wondering since in the past, the files that open up in an editor, usually just re-insert themselves back into my DAW as soon as I am done working on the "Tool copy" in the editor: as soon as I hit "Save" in the editor, it does a mixdown and then pops it back into the DAW - but it't not happening in this case?!

Thanks
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Getting a clip back and forth from an audio editor? 2010/10/19 10:02:43 (permalink)
    It depends on the editor I'm guessing.

I use Wavepad and I have to export from MC4 into it...and if I want to reopen it in MC4, I have to import it back in.

I'm curious, what can you do in an editor that you can't do inside the "Sonar Box"? 

I normally do all my processing and FX and such inside the box, and export it to the wave editor. In the editor is where I trim the count in, trim the silence at the end, run the normalize function and convert it to mp3 or save it as a finished wave. I also can view the wave to see if it's overly compressed.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Getting a clip back and forth from an audio editor? 2010/10/19 18:11:05 (permalink)
    I can't remember what it's called, but there is a little add-on you can get which allows you to link your wave editor into SONAR. So you get click on a clip, then effectively go 'edit in wave-editor' and it opens your clip in your wave editor of choice, you make modifications, then click save, and it updates the clip in SONAR. Support for this finished in SONAR 6 I think, but I'm pretty sure it still works for later versions. I'll have to have a look when I'm on my DAW and see what it was called and if it still works on 8.5. It's very handy though.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

silvercn
    Re:Getting a clip back and forth from an audio editor? 2010/10/19 18:23:25 (permalink)
    I have it set up as you describe - with the Pyro on my HS Tools menu and yes it does open up the clip in Pyro - but it is not putting the fixed clip back in when I close / save the Pyro session. I guess I am spoiled since when I do this same procedure with a file from CD Architect - it DOES put the repaired / processed clip back into CD-A. In the past when I have used Wave Lab LE it worked this way then...... I am zooming way in on an acoustic guitar clip that has a bad click in it - and taking that out. I guess I could just do that in my DAW but haven't quite figured out how to do precision cuts / silencing like that in HS7..
    silvercn
    Re:Getting a clip back and forth from an audio editor? 2010/10/19 18:26:49 (permalink)
    I suppose I could do it in Sonar - I am trying to take a bad click out of an acoustic guitar track / clip- it just seemed a little easier to zero in on it in Pyro....maybe I don't have the knack of doing that in Sonar.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Getting a clip back and forth from an audio editor? 2010/10/19 19:08:53 (permalink)
    you can zoom in to the click pretty precisely... however, if you remove a click it causes another click. It is best to zoom way in and split very close before it and after it creating a very tiny clip... then process the clip with REDUCE Audio volume...repeat the volume reduction until the click is lower than the surrounding material and it disappears ..... I find that method leaves no tell tale signs of a drastic edit.

Another solution is to record it again using punch in/out.

BMI/NSAI

silvercn
    Re:Getting a clip back and forth from an audio editor? 2010/10/19 19:21:32 (permalink)
    Good technique - in the short time since you mentioned doing this right in Sonar I taught myself how to zoom way in on the click. - I will try as you suggest - good idea. I know it is important to keep the "splice" at the zero line - but I like your way.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Getting a clip back and forth from an audio editor? 2010/10/19 19:49:19 (permalink)
    the splice or split,  zero's automatically.

Just highlight that tiny clip and reduce the volume as needed.... I also use this exact same technique to increase the volume..... in the case of a "pick up word" that is too low..... the same thing using increase volume will do the trick nicely..... sure beats recording it again.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/10/19 19:51:15

BMI/NSAI

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Getting a clip back and forth from an audio editor? 2010/10/19 21:44:59 (permalink)
    Sonar Utilities. That's what I use (or have used in the past). Don't know if it works in recent versions as I have not used it in a while.

http://www.digifreq.com/d.ifreq/download.asp?ID=66

Check this thread for a little more info on it:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=398369

When I did use it it was perfect and did the job with no troubles.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Getting a clip back and forth from an audio editor? 2010/10/20 07:32:27 (permalink)
    If the clip is monophonic, or you can isolate a monophonic section for editing, you might get some success using V-Vocal.

I've done this when I needed to fix one bum note in a lengthy solo, rather than re-record the whole thing.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1