Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues)

Author
Freddy J
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2348
2010/10/24 20:03:39 (permalink)

Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues)

Final Report from Freddy J’s delusional daydream:  THE REVELATION.

Well, finally, reality hit hard and I had to rouse myself from my cranially incarcerated excursion (read-- daydream).  As I went through my tasks of the day, I thought a lot about my virtual cerebral fantasy.  What did it mean?  Who were the “Freds” and why were they so doggone familiar?  Why did their collective tastes in music match my collective interests so completely?  Then it hit me.  The imaginary “Freds” were simply a manifestation of all the kinds of music that I have heard and loved, and that have been such an influence on my feeble attempts at making music. 

By way of acknowledgement to these influences they are: Tampa Fred --- the Blues man -- with his love of Blues, old style R & B, 1950’s rock ‘n roll, rockabilly, jump Blues, and dowop;  Bald Head Fred --- the wild child -- with his love of cool jazz, beatnik bop, raunchy rock, hard driving rock ‘n roll, hard rock, the more rocking new Blues, and even some metal;  Freddy Jim  --- the steady one -- with his more moderate preferences of country, western swing, big band, alternative pop, and Americana;  and most recently Freddy Younger – the kid -- with his love of alternative everything, electronica (thanks to some of the Song Forum members), and all the new stuff that is breaking rules and coming on down the line.

I was watching a TV show on the history of the Blues on cable TV and the discussion turned to how it seemed as if a lot of the early Blues guys were stealing material from each other.  I don’t remember who said it but they said something like “…that’s the way the Blues is.  You hear things that you like and that sound gets incorporated into what your music is.” (this is a fairly close paraphrase)  I guess that that is true of all of us and is true for all music. 

Anyway, that is it.  That is the revelation.  Thanks for your patience and for tolerating my story.

The “Freds” have one more collaboration (Mangrove Sally), which I hope you get a giggle out of.  It is musically more in the style of “swamp Blues” but the lyrics and story follow more in line with some of the Coasters’ songs or songs such as “Love Potion #9” by the Clovers. This one is just for fun.

Mangrove Sally
[link=http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=963481]http://www.soundclick.com...usic.cfm?bandID=963481[/link]

Freddy J

27 Replies Related Threads

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/24 20:14:55 (permalink)
      Yep, it's fun. :-)  AND well done. :-) 
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/24 21:33:00 (permalink)
    This is more the Freddy I know. You just continue to put out really great blues music - I love your voice Freddy - fantastic.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/24 22:35:21 (permalink)
    Well there's something about Sally... I can't quite put my finger on it? I would be willing to put up with a fair amount of peculiarity? 

I think this is one of your better blue tunes Freddy.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/25 00:28:59 (permalink)
    Love the vibe, cool performances. Your voice is perfect for this genre. Nice balanced mix. Very well done!

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/25 11:07:02 (permalink)
    Well, you nailed it.  Great playing, great production.  Great story.  If the song doesn't grab you the narrative will keep you engaged.  I had a film producer tell me once that no matter how bad, people never walk out of a murder/mystery.  A blues song should be that way - except this is a good song too.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/26 14:07:23 (permalink)
    Watch that #9 love potion Freddy...it'll hook ya every time.

Grungy,swamp slime vibe that makes me smile.

Everything went hand-n-hand on this tune..from the geetar right down to the vocals.

I think Mangrove Sally hangs out with the gators, so, watch where you walk son... :)

This was a great listen!

Larry
    Freddy J
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/26 14:33:27 (permalink)
    Thank you Janet!  Yup --- us boys just want to have fun also.

Hey Mark. Thank you my friend.  You are much too kind.  Thanks for the good words and your cheque is in the mail (lol).

Hi Robby.  I might be willing to put up with it also (if I were a single man).  Thanks for the good words.

Thank you for the kind words Greg. I am definetly more comfortable doing this kind of stuff and besides, I just love the Blues.

Hi JA.  A lot of the old Blues guys were great story tellers.  One of my favourite story tellers was Albert Collins.  Thanks for the encouragement.  I very much appreciate it.

Many thanks for the encouragement Larry! I have been mucking about in the Florida swamps for a while and one thing I have learned is that you walk looking down.  Not too many things might jump on you from a tree but the snakes and 'gators are on the ground.

Freddy J

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/26 14:46:45 (permalink)
    Terrific drum track, got my attention right away. Solid storytelling. I thought the guitar lick was too upfront, kind of drowns out the rhythm and even lead tracks and vocal too. That's really the only problem from my humble perspective. Bring that track down and everything else will stand out better. But overall a great tune.
    Mark

and quite the coincidence that I just put up Love Potion #9 yesterday!
    post edited by mcourter - 2010/10/26 14:48:09

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/26 15:10:00 (permalink)

I can't help but think that every time that I hear a tune of yours that  it sounds
    so "freddy J". I say this in a complimentary way because your style is such an
    "identifiable" one. To have an identity is very cool.
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/26 16:15:38 (permalink)
    Freddy, you B the real deal.  This is great blues.  Love the whole vibe.  Your mental excursions were a very enjoyable education and sad to see it end.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/27 08:59:06 (permalink)
    Fun stuff Freddy!....like the lead in the back...

cool stuff!
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/27 17:49:36 (permalink)
    Sensation opening, had me hooked from the off.

Loved the grungy, dirty feel this had.

Vocals sound ing good as usual, but would still like to hear it with a little less reverb.

You sound like you're in your element here Freddy cause you're firing on all cylinders.

Excellent.
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/27 19:20:13 (permalink)
    Good one Fredster.  I'm not sure which Fred you are, though.  Your vocals arew getting better all the time.  Now that you know you can do it all the doubts are gone.  Your vocals fit so perfectly with your music.  So, you got your head back together?  All the Freds into one?  LOL!!  Great tune, Freddy!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Freddy J
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/29 22:40:03 (permalink)
    Hi Mark.  Thanks a bunch for your comments.  I originally had that lick pushed back too much and a friend suggested that I bring it up front some.  As usual, I overcompensated.  You're right about the coincidence!

Thank you Jimmy.  I appreciate your kind words.  Being in my second childhood, I have been trying to develop my new identity  --- maybe I have hit upon it musically (LOL).

Hey Rick.  I am really glad you liked it and thank you.  Yea --- the journey is over but the Fred's are still with me and I'm sure will have their influence.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and the kind comments, Tom.

Hey John.  Thanks for the kind comments.  Reverb --- my nemesis.  I missed my Delay Abusers Anonymous (DAA) meeting the week that I did this song  --- must have fallen off the wagon (lol). Thanks again.

Hi Warren.  Yup the Fred's are all back to one but unfortunately my head never has and probably never will be all back together (lol).  I appreciate your encouragement buddy.  Thanks.

Freddy J
    EddieZilker
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 236
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/30 09:29:38 (permalink)
    I have to agree, nice work on this one.  Really like the guitar work and the vocals just seem to sit well within the track while having a bit of an edge enough to keep them interesting.  Well done.

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/30 09:52:47 (permalink)
    hey, freddy!  cool blues stuff!

your drums are really thin sounding and your vox are very dry, things don't seem to "gel" together in the mix.

just my opinion.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/30 11:04:42 (permalink)
    This was a great story and a fun listen with that really cool, grungy, down home bluesy kinda' feel.  I could almost smell the swamp.  I liked the dry, clean narrative tone of the vocal as I think it fit the song to a T.  No real crits from me, but I did find myself wondering how the guitar leads would have sounded witth less distortion. 
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/31 20:11:23 (permalink)
    Astonishing swampy blues here ... just as you forewarned!

I love the guitars, vox, swampiness, and vexations in this solid ballad.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Drumz
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/10/31 21:24:14 (permalink)
    Cool song Freddy. I like the lyrics and steady shuffle going on. Definitely Bluesy.

I agree with Beagle on the drums needing to come up. Let them drive the groove.

Sonar 8 PE, Windows 7 32 bit, Intel w/H55 chipset, Intel Core i5 3.2GHz,2x Seagate 500GB SATA,4GB DDR3/1333, Presonus FP10, Roland TD 20, Mapex Maple, Paistie, and a bunch of other noise making stuff.
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/11/01 00:57:47 (permalink)
    ^

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/11/02 18:14:02 (permalink)
    I enjoyed the journey Freddy. Thank you!

And another TOP 50 !

geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/11/02 23:27:44 (permalink)
    Hey Freddy,

Great job on this. You always sound right at home in this genre.

I like the way all the different guitar parts fit together...very nice!

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/11/03 01:43:52 (permalink)
    This is some sticky fruit you created , little miss hot pants must be picky the fruit . LOL
    Never mind my humor hey this is cool love the groove in this song .

Cheers! Radio

Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/11/03 02:54:27 (permalink)
    Hey, Freddy,

Very cool and super smoooooooothe blues number!   I just knew I was going to love this from that first sustained chord.

Dynamite vocals and great playing, and I think the contrasting guitar tones sound absolutely perfect during those sweet blues jam solos.

You've also got a really authentic vintage blues style mix that fits the song like a glove.  I'm on my third listen, definitely one of my favorites from you, excellent work, buddy!

Bob
    lvsranch
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 59
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/11/12 21:18:42 (permalink)
    Totally awesome Freddy,  A fellow Floridian can relate.  Keepin the blues alive my friend.
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/11/12 21:29:40 (permalink)
    This sounds like a fun jam. The vocals and all inst. sound GREAT! I love the lyrics too. Keep on trackin'!

String Jammer
    Freddy J
    Re:Mangrove Sally (Swamp Blues) 2010/11/14 16:56:34 (permalink)
    First of all, please accept my apologies for taking so long to respond to your comments.  I have been diverted from the important stuff of life (music stuff) to paying attention to the demands of reality.  Doggone reality anyway!   Hopefully, I will be able to get back to the important stuff soon, but I thought that I had better use these few free minutes to respond.

Eddie:   I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment and thank you very much for your kind words.  I guess every once in a great while I get lucky and come up with something that won’t embarrass me too much.

Hi Reece.  Thanks for your input.  I was trying to reach back for a kind of retro feel on this one.  I did have a much more fat sound on the drums but took off the distortion and compression thinking that I would get that older, “playing in a club” sound.   I went back and listened and well  ---- this was probably another one of my ideas that went astray.

Thanks Phil.  I appreciate your feedback.  Now you got me to wondering also.  When my load lightens up, I may have to go back and fiddle with the guitars.

Thank you Philip.  I really appreciate your comments.

Hi Drumz.  I appreciate your feedback and can’t disagree with the comments about the drums.  Thanks again. 

Hey Robby.  Yup --- I got the message about the drums but you really got verbose with your comments ----  Quote “^”.  Just kidding --- lol!  Thanks again.

Hi JC.  Thanks a million.  Ya ---  you know, there must be something wrong with SoundClick’s counter or the way that they are calculating.

Thanks Gary.  Even as a wee little one I gravitated toward the old style Blues (Delta, Memphis, early electric Chicago, and Louisiana swampy style).  The heavy rhythmic style (vs. the more folksy style of the Piedmont Blues) just drew me right on in.

Hey Radio.  I was going to write some cheeky comment about miss hot pants and fruit but this is a family forum , so I better not.  Thanks for the listen and kind words.

Hey back to you Bob.  Coming from a talent such as you, I really appreciate comments and kind words.  Thanks again. 

Thank you Larry.  Being a Floridian, if you have been around the Ruskin/Gib’town area of Tampa Bay you may have run into Mangrove Sally yourself?

Thanks a bunch Scotty.  You know you’re right.  Some songs require a lot of work and others  seem to just fall together and you can have a lot of un-frustrated fun with them.  This was one of those fun ones.  Thank again.

Freddy J
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1