Audio / Midi Tempo change effect question

Author
Dega
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
2010/10/25 00:56:37 (permalink)

Audio / Midi Tempo change effect question

OK let me see if I can explain this - I have a song that has a long "intro" piece then goes into the "main" piece

The song is a mixture of midi and audio tracks and I would like to both increase the tempo AND alter the pitch of audio and midi so it sounds like it is sped up.  Then at a certain point I would like to smoothly bring the tempo and pitch down to the songs "normal" place.

To further confuse this, after I have sped up the first part I will be adding one more track of spoken audio that will be at normal pitch.

I wrote the song using my TASCAM 4 Track and it was easy to do this.  Below is a link to a small piece of the song from a little before to a little after the tempo change.

My question is - How does one recreate this kind of analogue effect using Sonar?  If it matters, I am using 8.5 producer

Thanks for any help with this and feel free to ask any questions if I didn't make anything clear

Here is a link to the audio of the 4 track version

The Exit Inn - Tempo change

Thanks again

Russell
________
Don't ever try and be like anybody else and don't be afraid to take risks.
Waylon Jennings

5 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Audio / Midi Tempo change effect question 2010/10/25 08:43:55 (permalink)
    In the Tascam 4 track..correct me if I'm wrong, but that was ALL audio wasn't it? 

I think trying to do this with MIDI and audio would prove to be near impossible due to the sync issues between the midi tracks and the audio tracks since the time changing, pitch shifting is an audio effect, which means it doesn't work on midi. Midi is easy to change the time/pitch, but not smoothly like you want.

Converting it to audio (bounce the midi tracks to audio tracks) and then apply the time/pitch stretch shift tool would likely get you where you want. I have heard about this tool in SONAR, but since I do not have SONAR (MC4/5) and I don't recall seeing it in the DAW software I have, I do not know the particulars in exactly how this would be done.

Stick around, I think someone will have the answer for you shortly.....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Dega
    Re:Audio / Midi Tempo change effect question 2010/12/13 16:06:05 (permalink)
    Just bumping this up

Russell
    ________
    Waylon Jennings
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Audio / Midi Tempo change effect question 2010/12/14 06:58:17 (permalink)
    I'd try this.

http://www.kvraudio.com/db/tapestop_by_tbt

But what you'll need to do is first of all bounce all your Midi down to audio.

Then isolate the bit you want to speed up. (split ALL tracks at selection)

Then - most importantly - Process > Audio > REVERSE the clip

Then apply Tapestop to the reversed clip

Print the clip with the Tapestop effect

Finally reverse the clip again.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Dega
    Re:Audio / Midi Tempo change effect question 2010/12/14 14:27:57 (permalink)
    Thanks a bunch for that info - seems like a very complicated way to do something I thought would be simple.  I'm really surprised that Sonar doesn't allow speed and pitch changes for audio.

Thanks again for the info and the link - I'll be trying this out this weekend and let you know how it works

Russell
    ________
    Waylon Jennings
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Audio / Midi Tempo change effect question 2010/12/14 14:47:39 (permalink)
    Well, you ultimately get out of something what you're prepared to put in.

To my mind, there aren't many totally transparent pitch/tempo shifters out there, and although you could try mucking around with some of the stock plugs, you might be disappointed with the result.

But, as always, YMMV.

Have fun! (that's what it's all about ultimately)

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1