POD HD series

Author
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
2010/10/25 13:52:00 (permalink)

POD HD series

Anyone else have a chance to checkout the new POD HD series?

I played with one this weekend... and it seems a major improvement in realism/response (over previous units).  I haven't spent hours with the unit, but the Fender sims with tube driver in front sound pretty realistic to my ears.
Some folks are put-off by the smaller number of simulated amps/cabs... but I'd personally rather have a smaller number of models... where each of those models sounds good and is useable.

The USB audio features (while certainly not providing low RTL - even at the smallest buffer size) were robust and glitch-free running at the smallest buffer size (attached to a 3GHz i7 DAW).

I wish the tuner was more akin to TC's PolyTune.
Aside from the polyphonic tuning, TC has the most stable tuner I've seen.

Some of the presets are good... but many are useless 'demonstrations' of just how far you can process your guitar.
Cool to hear... but not that practical.  I would have liked a more general purpose collection of presets... but it's relatively easy to program your own...

post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2010/10/25 13:56:07

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com

21 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:POD HD series 2010/10/25 14:40:09 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

I played with one this weekend... and it seems a major improvement in realism/response (over previous units).  I haven't spent hours with the unit, but the Fender sims with tube driver in front sound pretty realistic to my ears.
    Some folks are put-off by the smaller number of simulated amps/cabs... but I'd personally rather have a smaller number of models... where each of those models sounds good and is useable.

The USB audio features (while certainly not providing low RTL - even at the smallest buffer size) were robust and glitch-free running at the smallest buffer size (attached to a 3GHz i7 DAW).

I wish the tuner was more akin to TC's PolyTune.
    Aside from the polyphonic tuning, TC has the most stable tuner I've seen.

Some of the presets are good... but many are useless 'demonstrations' of just how far you can process your guitar.
    Cool to hear... but not that practical.  I would have liked a more general purpose collection of presets... but it's relatively easy to program your own...

Still no clock input of any kind ? Humm... I guess they are still thinking that the POD is your only interface. Too bad.
    kristoffer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:POD HD series 2010/10/25 16:30:53 (permalink)
    Just waiting for a bean or a rack version :)        

Havent tried it myself - but have seen/heard a few tests and have the same impression: a lot of the presets are just "show offs". (how far have we taken amp modulation)

SonarPlatinum/X3e Producer
    HW:
    ~Pod HD pro~Pod X3~JTV-69 US~Tascam FW1884~BEYERDYNAM​IC DT770 PRO~Røde NTK~MaschineMikro~ADAM ARTist5
    W10 - i7 920 - Intel DX58SO2 - Nvidia NVS450 Quad - 12GB OCZ Gold 1600Mhz RAM - Noctua NH-D14 - Corsair TX950w PSU
    - Corsair MX200 500GB OS/Programs - OCZ Agility 3 SSD (Audio) - WD Black 1TB
    Jim Roseberry
    Re:POD HD series 2010/10/25 16:52:19 (permalink)

I just got the HD Edit software installed.
    The floor unit is built nice (all metal)... but bending down to program isn't the most comfortable.  
    Once it's programmed, the pedal board is nice/convenient.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jim Roseberry
    Re:POD HD series 2010/10/25 17:02:52 (permalink)
    Still no clock input of any kind ? Humm... I guess they are still thinking that the POD is your only interface. Too bad.

Yeah
    I think that cost plays a factor...
    You can work around the WC issue (using the USB connection to record or using the HD's clock via S/PDIF).
    Not the ideal solution... but it works.
    At $499 for the flagship HD500... it's not surprising that L6 cut a corner in not offering WC or S/PDIF inputs.
    Lest I sound too negative, the HD500 packs a lot of features into a $500 box.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:POD HD series 2010/10/25 17:06:23 (permalink)
    Line 6 make great stuff, but they've always had this issue with presets; very few of them are of practical use, and you do have to learn how to operate the things properly to get useful sounds.

I'm all for the reduced number of core amps in the HD series. I only really use about four or five of the amp models in my XT live.
    ohhey
    Re:POD HD series 2010/10/25 19:18:11 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

Yeah
    I think that cost plays a factor...
    You can work around the WC issue (using the USB connection to record or using the HD's clock via S/PDIF).
    Not the ideal solution... but it works.
    At $499 for the flagship HD500... it's not surprising that L6 cut a corner in not offering WC or S/PDIF inputs.
    Lest I sound too negative, the HD500 packs a lot of features into a $500 box.

I'm not buying the cost factor thing, it doesn't cost anything to add wordclock or the spdif input.  It's not like they are cheap devices anyway they could do it easy but for some reason they don't want to.  I can't think of anything they make that is clockable.

Jim Roseberry
    Re:POD HD series 2010/10/26 00:35:01 (permalink)
    I'm not buying the cost factor thing, it doesn't cost anything to add wordclock or the spdif input. It's not like they are cheap devices anyway they could do it easy but for some reason they don't want to. I can't think of anything they make that is clockable.

Not that I'm arguing with you... (a clock input would be great)
    But even if the WC and S/PDIF input cost a dollar to add (parts and manufacturing costs), if the run was 25,000 units that saves Line-6 $25k.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    ohhey
    Re:POD HD series 2010/10/26 11:09:50 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

I'm not buying the cost factor thing, it doesn't cost anything to add wordclock or the spdif input. It's not like they are cheap devices anyway they could do it easy but for some reason they don't want to. I can't think of anything they make that is clockable.

Not that I'm arguing with you... (a clock input would be great)
    But even if the WC and S/PDIF input cost a dollar to add (parts and manufacturing costs), if the run was 25,000 units that saves Line-6 $25k.

I still don't agree. It only cost a dollar if you didn't plan for it and have to add it on a rev. If you design it in to the product from the start (like you should) then it costs nothing.  The manufacturing costs are the same once it's designed. The parts are pennies at wholesale and are simply part of the budget that would be the same if the part was there or not.  It would only take one or two extra sales to pay for the parts even if it did cost a few cents more.  You can't get metrics on sales you lose because a feature is not there but it could be huge.  Line 6 just doesn't want to do that and I can't figure out why.

post edited by ohhey - 2010/10/26 11:14:24
    Jim Roseberry
    Re:POD HD series 2010/10/26 13:02:40 (permalink)
    I still don't agree. It only cost a dollar if you didn't plan for it and have to add it on a rev. If you design it in to the product from the start (like you should) then it costs nothing.

If WC I/O was a "no cost" option, then why don't we see it on all digital audio gear?  Granted, many low cost units do feature a S/PDIF input.
    Even if the savings is just a few thousand dollars, the bean-counters will swing that direction.

These kinds of decisions/scenarios happen all the time in manufacturing...
    Look at keyboards as an example:
    It took years before almost all keyboards featured a large display.
    Many folks (including myself) didn't understand why an $80 calculator had a large display... while a $2000+ keyboard didn't.
    ie: Yamaha is a huge company... yet they decided to go with the smaller display on the Motif/ES to save money (knowing it would be an unpopular decision with end users).
    Yamaha finally added a larger screen on the Motif XS series.

Even if it comes down to quicker/easier manufacturing... lessening the odds of failure... or lessening the need for support, that all boils down to money.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    Re:POD HD series 2010/10/27 17:10:13 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry
    I'd personally rather have a smaller number of models... where each of those models sounds good and is useable. 

This is my personal gripe with Line6. I have a max'ed out TonePort UX2 (it's basically a dongle now) and it bothers me that there are a million different amp models and they all more or less have the same basic sound! Say what you will about Guitar Rig, but the amp models sound truly different from each other, know what I mean?

Interested in this new POD. Should mean there will be new software models soon, no?
    post edited by SvenArne - 2010/10/27 17:18:57

Sonico
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 266
    Re:POD HD series 2010/10/27 20:08:20 (permalink)
    I'am very happy with my pod xt live, I really don't think about how close to the original model it can sound but more as if it can give me the sound I'am looking for, and it has been great for that in my opinion.

I've heard and watched some reviews of the new hd series and it sounds great for me, so I think is time for a new guitar multi fx pedal.

Desktop: Intel Core i7 3.60Ghz, 16 GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Laptop: Intel i5 2.3Ghz, 6GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
    Presonus Faderport
    My Music
    kristoffer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:POD HD series 2010/10/29 04:37:02 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

I just got the HD Edit software installed.
    The floor unit is built nice (all metal)... but bending down to program isn't the most comfortable.  
    Once it's programmed, the pedal board is nice/convenient.
    I dont disagree - but I already have the FBV board and take it out when I need it
    (I have a micro studio ) But both computer and my audio interface is 19" rack.
    Usually the mic, bass or guitar directly, withour the FBV.
    and for Wah/volume I need the FBV.
    for live use, or band rehearsal - thats a different story!

SonarPlatinum/X3e Producer
    HW:
    ~Pod HD pro~Pod X3~JTV-69 US~Tascam FW1884~BEYERDYNAM​IC DT770 PRO~Røde NTK~MaschineMikro~ADAM ARTist5
    W10 - i7 920 - Intel DX58SO2 - Nvidia NVS450 Quad - 12GB OCZ Gold 1600Mhz RAM - Noctua NH-D14 - Corsair TX950w PSU
    - Corsair MX200 500GB OS/Programs - OCZ Agility 3 SSD (Audio) - WD Black 1TB
    rgs
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re:POD HD series 2010/11/07 21:48:44 (permalink)
    I upgraded to a POD HD500 from my old Digitech RP500.  A night and day difference in quality of sounds. I'm still getting a handle on the signal path aspect and how everything interacts but have manage several patches that I'm really happy with.

Jim....I'm wanting to make up an S/PDIF cable (just under 10ft) for the HD500 and know the specs call for 75ohm. RG-59 is ok but I would rather use RG-174 even though it's 50ohm does it matter?  Right now I'm using a composite video cable (the one with the yellow plugs) as a make shift. 
    post edited by rgs - 2010/11/07 21:53:16

AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4400+ 2.3 GHz,
    4 gig ram, Echo AudioFire4, Sonar X1 PE
    Vista Home Premium 32 bit
    Jim Roseberry
    Re:POD HD series 2010/11/07 23:18:31 (permalink)
    Jim....I'm wanting to make up an S/PDIF cable (just under 10ft) for the HD500 and know the specs call for 75ohm. RG-59 is ok but I would rather use RG-174 even though it's 50ohm does it matter? Right now I'm using a composite video cable (the one with the yellow plugs) as a make shift.

FWIW, I'd just use 75-ohm coax cable... (to stay in spec)

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    rgs
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re:POD HD series 2010/11/08 11:53:19 (permalink)
    I've found some f type to rca adapters that will save me the soldering on the rg59/rg6.

I'm running the POD HD500 S/PDIF out into an Echo audiofire4. It sounds really, really good.

AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4400+ 2.3 GHz,
    4 gig ram, Echo AudioFire4, Sonar X1 PE
    Vista Home Premium 32 bit
    Jim Roseberry
    Re:POD HD series 2010/11/08 13:33:50 (permalink)
    I've found some f type to rca adapters that will save me the soldering on the rg59/rg6.

Yeah... you can get nice gold-plated (screw-on) RCA plugs.
    Radio Shack carries them...  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    jayson
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 367
    Re:POD HD series 2010/11/14 21:25:29 (permalink)
    I've had a HD500 for just over a week now and have easily managed to get some of the best guitar tracks I've ever recorded!  Very impressive!

Cheers,

jayson
    zungle
    • Total Posts : 2745
    Re:POD HD series 2010/12/06 23:55:57 (permalink)

I just took the HD300 home on loan and gave it a solid 2 day run thru.

I honestly felt nothing but disappointment for the unit.

This was not disappointment for all the bells and whistles ,just the core amp and cab sims.

For recording.......

And at its price point(HD300)............ 

I wouldn't buy it.

Sonico
    Re:POD HD series 2010/12/07 19:20:19 (permalink)
    zungle,

Could you elaborate a little bit more please??

What are you comparing it to?? what about the amp and cab sims didn't you like??

I'am interested because I'am planning to sell my POD xtlive and get a HD500

Thanks 

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
    Presonus Faderport
    My Music
    zungle
    • Total Posts : 2745
    Re:POD HD series 2010/12/08 01:55:29 (permalink)
    Could you elaborate a little bit more please?? What are you comparing it to?? what about the amp and cab sims didn't you like?? I'am interested because I'am planning to sell my POD xtlive and get a HD500

I compared this unit to a V-Amp Pro,Tone Lab ST, Genesis3, GSP1101, ART DST 830 Direct Out.

And my comment/comments only apply to recording guitar tracks not live use.

The unit flat out masks your guitars tone more than I like. In a cold nasally way.I played it with a Gibson LP 50's tribute w/P-90's,a Fender Show Master with tapped Humbuckers,a Warmoth Super Strat with EMG 81/85, PRS Soapbar II w/P-90's and a VM Gibson LP Studio w/BB Pro's. 

The V-Amp Pro may not have the most accurate or impressive sims but it does have a few cab sims that will let your guitar come thru. That matters to me.

I had the best Luck with the Gibsons .When using the EMG's it accented the cold  sterility.

The cab and amp sims were not that impressive without applying several of the other fx. It also seemed little fizzier than I remember my old POD Pro.

To my ears unit hasn't enough natural warmth......The V-Amp Pro and the ToneLab ST both have more natural warmth. Now they may only have it on a few sim combo's but its there.

Also unit did not seem to track naturally against my Beta Monkey Drum Loops.

Now you need to remember I only had a couple days to go thru it. I am pretty good with outboard gear so I was able to get fairly deep into to it tonally, but if a guy owned it and had weeks to work with it you may get 100% better results than i did.

But,Thats the other problem I didnt feel I should have to work that hard or deep.
     Also remember I could just be a" Line6 " idiot as I have never really liked the Line6 guitar modeling that much.

The reason I wouldn't buy it .................

I already own and am familiar with the for-mentioned units and the HD300 didn't have the "WOW" blew me away factor, needed to justify spending that extra money with what I already own.
    Sonico
    Re:POD HD series 2010/12/08 11:16:18 (permalink)
    I get it, thanks for sharing your experience with the unit.

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
    Presonus Faderport
    My Music
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1