USB mixer no longer recognized after faulty driver install

Author
DelvarWorld
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
2010/10/25 21:45:03 (permalink)

USB mixer no longer recognized after faulty driver install

I recently purchased an Alesis MultiMix 4 USB mixer. It's a PnP device and does not have specific drivers for it. The website shows ASIO4ALL as an optional choice for possible improved latency.

So I tried out ASIO4ALL, but I couldn't get multi-track recording to work. I actually don't know if this little POS is capable of multi-track recording, but I could only get one output signal into my DAW.

I then tried usb-asio, which I didn't realize was a trial version and it makes a beep every 30 seconds. Here's where the problems start. I ran the uninstaller for the driver and it said it needed to reboot. So I did. After the reboot the beeping continued. Note the beeping just came from the mixer > headphone signal. When I routed output to my main speakers through my sound card there was no beeping. But I could still see the mixer meters go up every 30 seconds. So, not sure what else to do, I went to Control Panel > Sound > Manage Audio Devices, right clicked on the USB Audio device, and hit "uninstall" or "remove" or something like that. This made the beeping stop.

It also made my mixer stop being recognized by Windows.

Now when I go to the windows device manager I can see under "Other devices": Audio device on USB bus, and it has a yellow triangle on the icon. From there I can "scan for hardware changes" or "update driver software", neither of which have any effect. I also tried uninstalling it from that menu, unplugging it, rebooting, and trying again. No luck. I get the Windows ba-dum and da-bum sounds when I plug it in / unplug it, so the USB port is definitely recognizing it. But it doesn't show up as a usable audio device anymore.

If I plug it into a different USB port I get the "installing device driver" and it says "successful", but I still don't see it in audio devices, and it still has the device triangle in device manager. It doesn't show up in the ASIO4ALL control panel anymore either. It used to before I tried out those ****s' driver.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit. Help?
post edited by DelvarWorld - 2010/10/25 21:46:59

4 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:USB mixer no longer recognized after faulty driver install 2010/10/25 21:57:41 (permalink)
    So I tried out ASIO4ALL, but I couldn't get multi-track recording to work. I actually don't know if this little POS is capable of multi-track recording, but I could only get one output signal into my DAW.

it's only capable of 2 simultaneous inputs.  you should be able to choose either left, right or stereo input using ASIO4ALL or MME driver mode.

I don't know anything about USB-ASIO.

this thing is a POS IMO. 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    songmart
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:USB mixer no longer recognized after faulty driver install 2010/10/26 02:24:15 (permalink)
    I have an Alesis Mulitmix 8 which I used with GT Pro3, no problem. I was able to use it as a stereo USB input and output device.

Now with GT Pro4, I can get it to work as an output device only and that's only when I select WDM/KS driver mode, set the output device as USB CODEC and the input device as my Line6 PODXT. When I set bot the input and output device (under Options/Audio) to USB CODEC, it doesn't accept any inputs and when I try to play back, it gives me a message that says it's not compatible for playback.

I've tried ASIO4ALL with no success.....any ideas?

DelvarWorld
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    Re:USB mixer no longer recognized after faulty driver install 2010/10/28 20:57:16 (permalink)
    Figured out my issue. I just deleted the codec (burr-brown for me) from Universal Serial Bus Controllers in the Device Manager, which I didn't look at before. This was while the mixer was plugged in to USB. Then I unplugged it, plugged it back in, and it reinstalled, and now it works. thank god.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:USB mixer no longer recognized after faulty driver install 2010/10/28 22:57:55 (permalink)
    songmart

I have an Alesis Mulitmix 8 which I used with GT Pro3, no problem. I was able to use it as a stereo USB input and output device.

Now with GT Pro4, I can get it to work as an output device only and that's only when I select WDM/KS driver mode, set the output device as USB CODEC and the input device as my Line6 PODXT. When I set bot the input and output device (under Options/Audio) to USB CODEC, it doesn't accept any inputs and when I try to play back, it gives me a message that says it's not compatible for playback.

I've tried ASIO4ALL with no success.....any ideas?

line 6's drivers are stingy.  they typically will not allow any other soundcard to work when they're connected.  that and the multimix having inferior drivers (using the usb codec) is probably a combination for disaster.  you probably will have to uninstall the line 6 before the alesis will work.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1