Mixing Questions.... Thoughts?

Author
RockingChair
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 803
2010/10/26 21:58:45 (permalink)

Mixing Questions.... Thoughts?

I was working on this song recently using Music Creator 5 which is all I use now. And I should mention I really like it a lot, I think it's great. For my needs I see no need to go further.

That being said, here are a few mixing questions I thought I would ask. Also a few personal observations on my own recordings.

1 : - I kinda get the impression that when it comes to Bass and Drums, they need to be center, no exceptions? I felt on my last song post, that I should have moved the bass to 45% left. Although there were two Rhythm Guitars panned left and right. So it would have never worked. Also I must ask, is there any reason to ever record TWO bass tracks and pan them or perhaps harmonize them?

2 : - Should you always have compression in a song, at least on an instrument or the overall track? I have trouble figuring it out sometimes. At times it seems like a volume gain more so than anything else. Although I am aware that it does do things. My question actually is, does compression "Compress and shorten the sound of the track so that it fits better in the stereo field of things for the song"? I dunno.....

I only have two for now, but I am sure I will think of more later. These are probably basic questions, and most everyone knows this stuff. But I don't so I figured I would ask.

Bobby

12 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Mixing Questions.... Thoughts? 2010/10/26 23:44:08 (permalink)
    bass and kick should be center, the other drum kit pieces can be panned.  there are two camps on the way to pan them.  one camp is panning them as if you are a listener to a band.  the other camp is to pan them as if you were the drummer so that when you play air drums with the song you'll not be hitting the snare on the right and the ride on the left.

compression is something it takes a while to master.  all commercial releases will have compression on most all tracks and another compressor and a limiter on the master bus.  bass should be compressed and you can use compression to bring out the hits on the kick and snare.  vocals usually need compressing unless the vocalist is really, really good at working the mic and even then probably so. 

compression is used to make the sound snappier or harder and will bring the bottom up while pushing the top down.  it's not necessarily a tool for making things fit better in the stereo field, it's for evening out the volume or perceived volume of a track - typically mono except for the master bus.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Mixing Questions.... Thoughts? 2010/10/27 00:26:21 (permalink)
    The reasoning behind the bass/kick in the center is that the lowest frequencies require the most energy at a given volume, and so putting them in the center means both speakers are pushing them equally hard, so they get the most oomph. If it's a really low bass part it won't probably help much to pan it anyway since low bass isn't really directional. Once you start getting down low enough, the wave lengths are so much larger than your head, that your stereoscopic stereophonic hearing system can't figure out which direction they are coming from. It depends on slight variations in arrival time of the waves. But once the waves get way bigger than your head, that doesn't work very well.

Compression, as mentioned, is a huge topic. It'll take a few years probably to really start to fully get what it's all about. Same with EQ, I think. I'm going on four years into this thing come Feb, and I'm just now starting to really get these two topics. I'm not doing it full time, but I'm a very technical guy and have experimented quite a lot, and it's still taken this long for these things to really start sinking in.

And of course that's just the beginning of the beginning. There's still far more times more to learn still than I've learned so far. But, luckily I think that your rate of absorption also goes up more and more rapidly over time. The more you have figured out so far, the more puzzle pieces start coming together more rapidly.

One thing that helped me is that I would spend hours and hours just sitting there doing drum production. Drums involve usually significant amounts of production compared to most other instruments. So if you can work those out, you'll learn a lot. And, since the rock on top of which almost all pop and rock music is situation are drums, if you can get a good drum sound, you are way ahead of the game.

You don't want, in an actual mix, to get obessed too much with individual instruments' sounds, since what is important is how they fit into the mix, not how they sound on their own. But drum sound is often key to the whole thing.
    post edited by droddey - 2010/10/27 22:13:25

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Mixing Questions.... Thoughts? 2010/10/27 00:27:45 (permalink)
    The idea of putting the bass/kick in the center comes from vinal days, when the needle would actually "jump" out of record groove if it wasn't balanced.  Another point is that low frequencies use a lot more energy than highs and it is easier to get the bass loud if you are using two speakers.  But you don't have to center them, esp. if they aren't the dominating instrument.  On the other hand, I can't think of a song I've mixed where it is more than 10 degrees off.  Sometimes a little pan separation helps, well, separate the bass and kick.  But I've never gone wild with it.

Compression compresses the sound, lowering the loudest parts, which lets you raise the softer parts.  Squeezing from both top and bottom, so to speak.  This has the effect of evening out a performance, so it is neither too loud or too soft, but like Goldilocks, just right.  But just because you can put a soft comp on everything doesn't mean you need to.  It is really just an automatic gain control unit.  Hardware use to limit (pun intended) the number of comps (unless you were in a really nice studio).  Judicious is the word - only use them if you really need them.  It is very easy to overcompress, rendering your beautifully dynamic piece into a flat, painted on a sheet of cardboard sound. 

An opposite fact is that using a little compression several times often sounds more "natural" than slamming a sound hard once.  A little hardware compression when going to tape (or hard drive), a little compression during the mix stage, and a little more during mastering usually sounds better.

And as Beagle sez, comp/limiting has nothing to do, really, with stereo.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Mixing Questions.... Thoughts? 2010/10/27 07:41:41 (permalink)
    Beagle

There are two camps on the way to pan them.  one camp is panning them as if you are a listener to a band.  the other camp is to pan them as if you were the drummer so that when you play air drums with the song you'll not be hitting the snare on the right and the ride on the left.
    That's fine if both you and the drummer are right handed...  I'm told there are also left handed drummers though, and even if the drummer is right handed, the air-drumming listener might be left handed..

From my experience doing FOH, the hard/fast rule was that you matched any panning you did to what you could see on the stage.  Panning would be kept to a minimum but I would always use some to give clarity to toms and cymbols by seperating them in space between the pa stacks.

In recorded material it doesn't realy matter how you pan drum kit pieces, unless you're deliberately replicating a 'live' stage sound.  The only thing to watch for is where you have two mics pointed at a similar area they should both be panned to the same side.  eg. an overhead near the high hats and a high hat mic should both be panned to the same side.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Mixing Questions.... Thoughts? 2010/10/27 08:08:52 (permalink)
    drums and bass centered.

One bass track should be more than enough. If you need 2... you should find out why you need them. Unless it's an avant-gard type song that specifically has 2 bass players..... like the Allman bros had 2 drummers.... bass harmonies... don't know that it would sound to good, unless it was done really, really well.  I have heard one bass player play the bass like a guitar... chords and all.... up higher on the neck.

Compression.... I use only where it's needed.... usually not in the tracks ( with rare exceptions) but in the master buss, always, but just a touch. Keep the dynamics in the song material.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Mixing Questions.... Thoughts? 2010/10/27 10:05:26 (permalink)
    I always compress my bass tracks because, well, I'm a guitar player, not a bass player, and my feeble attempts usually result in a wave that fluctuates all over the place.

I'll use track/clip automation as a rough leveller, then compress it to even out the remaining peaks/troughs, hopefully retaining whatever dynamics I intended to be recorded.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Mixing Questions.... Thoughts? 2010/10/27 10:54:01 (permalink)
    is there any reason to ever record TWO bass tracks and pan them or perhaps harmonize them?

It's been done. One old school technique is to double-track the bass with a down-tuned guitar to give it definition. I've done it myself and it's fun. I've also double-tracked bass with piano. And I've layered two different bass patches driven by one MIDI track (a funky slap bass + mellow Beatle-ish Hofner).

Booker T Jones, best known as an organist, made his recording debut playing tuba(!) double-tracked over the bass. I forget which song it was, but it was a big hit, maybe Sam and Dave's "Hold On, I'm Comin'".

So yeh, there's no reason why the bass absolutely must follow convention. But taking it out of the center is a little dangerous. We're accustomed to hearing the bass in the center, going back to vinyl days when it was a technical necessity. I find it uncomfortable to listen with headphones if the low frequencies are not balanced left and right.

Bass is quite often heavily compressed, for two reasons. One is that basses tend to be uneven in volume from one string to the next. The other reason is that the bass often establishes the reference level for everything else and should therefore be fairly consistent.

Compression means to a) make quiet sounds louder, or b) make loud sounds quieter, or c) both. In other words, to limit the dynamic range. Beyond that very basic definition, compression is used for so many different purposes that it's hard to generalize about it. Just be careful with it.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Beagle
    Re:Mixing Questions.... Thoughts? 2010/10/27 11:53:50 (permalink)
    Karyn

Beagle

There are two camps on the way to pan them.  one camp is panning them as if you are a listener to a band.  the other camp is to pan them as if you were the drummer so that when you play air drums with the song you'll not be hitting the snare on the right and the ride on the left.
    That's fine if both you and the drummer are right handed...  I'm told there are also left handed drummers though, and even if the drummer is right handed, the air-drumming listener might be left handed..

From my experience doing FOH, the hard/fast rule was that you matched any panning you did to what you could see on the stage.  Panning would be kept to a minimum but I would always use some to give clarity to toms and cymbols by seperating them in space between the pa stacks.

In recorded material it doesn't realy matter how you pan drum kit pieces, unless you're deliberately replicating a 'live' stage sound.  The only thing to watch for is where you have two mics pointed at a similar area they should both be panned to the same side.  eg. an overhead near the high hats and a high hat mic should both be panned to the same side.

True - but left handed air drummers are definitely in the minority!  who cares abou them???

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Mixing Questions.... Thoughts? 2010/10/27 12:03:55 (permalink)
    I had to sell my best air guitar because it was left handed and I just couldn't play it.  Even tried re-stringing it but I just couldn't get a note out of it.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Beagle
    Re:Mixing Questions.... Thoughts? 2010/10/27 12:09:33 (permalink)
    Karyn

I had to sell my best air guitar because it was left handed and I just couldn't play it.  Even tried re-stringing it but I just couldn't get a note out of it.

I hate it when that happens!!!

RockingChair
    Re:Mixing Questions.... Thoughts? 2010/10/27 21:07:10 (permalink)
    Beagle

bass and kick should be center, the other drum kit pieces can be panned.  there are two camps on the way to pan them.  one camp is panning them as if you are a listener to a band.  the other camp is to pan them as if you were the drummer so that when you play air drums with the song you'll not be hitting the snare on the right and the ride on the left.

compression is something it takes a while to master.  all commercial releases will have compression on most all tracks and another compressor and a limiter on the master bus.  bass should be compressed and you can use compression to bring out the hits on the kick and snare.  vocals usually need compressing unless the vocalist is really, really good at working the mic and even then probably so. 

compression is used to make the sound snappier or harder and will bring the bottom up while pushing the top down.  it's not necessarily a tool for making things fit better in the stereo field, it's for evening out the volume or perceived volume of a track - typically mono except for the master bus.

Thank you for the answer! Up until I got MC5 I never thought of drums in the stereo field in different places. Or I should say that is I have but I was using loops. Now I am creating my own drum patterns and I can control the volume levels. That cool! But kinda confusing at times, especially on the final mix down.

BTW: Beagle, You and Robert B" are freaking geniuses on this stuff in my opinion!!!! No offense meant to anyone by saying that. But you both know what the heck you are talking about on this music daw stuff! No doubt you guys are the best, PERIOD!

Thanks for your help over the years, LOL, uh, 2 or maybe 3, but it's seemed longer than that.

I wanna thank everyone else here for their answers also, very informative, I have learned a lot with this post/thread, I hope it helps someone in the future.

Bobby

post edited by RockingChair - 2010/10/27 21:14:20

RockingChair
    Re:Mixing Questions.... Thoughts? 2010/10/27 21:16:25 (permalink)
    Karyn

I know how that is, finding strings for those things can be a real pain! Have you tried La La Land? They have everything you might want, and then some. It's the "And Then Some part you better watch out for though!".

Bobby

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1