Boot Sequence Problem

Author
Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
2010/10/28 05:38:46 (permalink)

Boot Sequence Problem

Hi all.

Now this is a strange one. (this is NOT my DAW under discussion, it's my general purpose pc)

This pc contains 2 internal drives, my system drive 'C' (programs & settings etc) and a data drive 'D' (music & videos)

A couple of weeks ago I bought a new internal hard drive to replace the data one which had failed (all content backed up)

Ordinarily, I would simply install the new drive, restart Windows & format the new drive under Admin Tasks > Computer Management (Running XP SP2 btw)

However, this time I didn't get a format option when the drive was right clicked, instead, it took me to an Initialisation Wizard which seemed to run ok, after which I got the option toformat the drive which went smoothly.

Copied all my data across, all visible to Windows/Media Player etc. No problemo.

Now, whenever I boot up my pc, it informs me that by boot sequence has changed and I need to enter the Bios to set it up properly.

My System drive is the Master, the data drive is the Slave

These are old style IDE drives btw.

It reads the system drive FIRST in it's boot up sequence, and I don't need to change anything in the Bios to boot up successfully.

In fact, my current workaround is wait for the boot to fail, enter the Bios, then hit "Exit WITHOUT Saving" and continue.
The machine will then boot as normal.

So what the hell have I done?

This is a real pain in the rear.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received, trust me!!!!!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,

7 Replies Related Threads

RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Boot Sequence Problem 2010/10/28 14:48:13 (permalink)
    That's a strange one, but the first thing I would do is use a program like Acronis Disk Image and check if there are any extra partitions (on either drive) that might be interfering with the boot process.

Good luck.

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    IronSound
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re:Boot Sequence Problem 2010/10/28 16:54:14 (permalink)
        Hello... Ok as I understand it... you have a new IDE drive running slave on 1 IDE cable? I would try to change the jumpers on the back of the new drive... not all drives mfg'rs use the same locations as others... experiment and try each location or check mfg'rs website for correct location for master/slave/cable select... also try using a seperate IDE cable to determine if problem started from the windows format by isolating the drives from the single cable use... try to see if the Original /boot/drive will boot windows on it's own (disconnect new drive)... again a windows format problem...
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Boot Sequence Problem 2010/10/28 23:40:33 (permalink)
    The default search for a bootable drive is to check the drive that you have told your bios is the first in the boot sequence. If you have not told your bios what to consider the boot drive (first drive in its list of drives usually) then the default is to look for a boot sector on drive 0. Drive zero is usually the first drive on the master setting on IDE 1 (the first of two IDE controllers if you have 2). If the boot sector is not on that drive, and if you have a friendly bios, it will keep looking until it finds a bootable drive, and the first one it finds will boot. Older bios would just not boot under these circumstances until you either connected the drives as they expected or  told them where to look. Whatever you have told the bios, Windows will always name the drive that actually booted the system as C:.

You added a drive that is seen by your bios as being the first drive, and that drive is not bootable. The obvious solution is to do as your error report suggests, and find out how to tell your bios which is the first (boobable) drive and set your bootable drive as that drive. That would be a lot easier than physically connecting your boot drive to the proper IDE port and jumpered as master, but that would be another option.

If you had two drives on the same IDE channel both jumpered as master or both as slave, or with one jumpered as master or slave and the other as cable select and connected to the wrong plug on the cable so as to conflict with the jumpered drive, you would most likely find that one of the drives would not be recognized although on occasion you could get corruption of data. That is a bad situation, but is probably not your problem here.
    post edited by slartabartfast - 2010/10/28 23:45:23
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Boot Sequence Problem 2010/10/29 04:35:37 (permalink)
    Thanks all for your comments

RogerS - Yes I have Acronis so will check for any weird partitioning, though I don't think this is the case

IronSound - I disconnected the new drive and Windows booted up perfectly, though I haven't looked at the jumper settings on either drive, so this is something to definitely check out

Slartabartfast - Good info mate, it is an older BIOS (2003 ish I think). I might just connect the new drive to the spare cable on my other IDE channel, currently only the DVD drive is connected to it.

How are the fjords coming along?

Thanks one and all.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    IronSound
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re:Boot Sequence Problem 2010/10/29 09:11:18 (permalink)
         Hello again... Yes Slartabartfast suggested checking/changing your boot order in your BIOS... I agree... very easy to do... typical orders are floppy drive, CD/DVD drives. hard drive, hard drive. etc... But some bios will not let you chose the hard drives by MFG'r name... some will... that is why you use jumpers on IDE drives connected on 1 cable... to physically tell the bios which to look for first. In fact you could speed boot time by telling your bios not to look at the floppy drives or CD/DVD drives at start up...

So yes enter your BIOS and see if your boot drive order shows the drive by MFG'r name, and not the generic "harddrive", and place in proper order... save and boot again...

But as us Yanks sometime say... "Place all your Ducks in a Row"... I would place the jumper on the new drive to slave position... typically the second pin position to the right, jumper the top and bottom two pins vertically... they will come new, in master position or no jumper installed at all...

As for my information or "misinformation" on the Windows format problem... typically hard drives come with a fat16/fat32 format, and now with your XP you can format to NTFS, and this is typical for Windows to suggest with a new harddrive... But if Windows thinks this is a master Boot Drive being formatted, ( due to both drives being seen as masters on that IDE Channel ), That Windows added information ( other than just formatting ) that made that drive Bootable... and now your Bios is seeing that Bootable information on the new Hard drive... Which it knows... is a different Hard drive than what is on it's Boot order list... But... electrically or thru firmware... The BIOS see's/looks at the new hard drive first... and it's a Bootable drive!!!... and thus the warning... and this is why, this problem started, after the Windows format, and rebooting the computer.

You can use/format extra drives with or without boot information... and IDE drives use jumpers to force/tell the BIO's where to look first for Boot information.

post edited by IronSound - 2010/10/29 10:22:53
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Boot Sequence Problem 2010/10/29 17:42:43 (permalink)
    Slartabartfast - Good info mate, it is an older BIOS (2003 ish I think).

I expect that if the bios is capable of initiating the error message you are getting it is probably capable of setting the boot sequence in software. Look for a heading called boot sequence in the advanced setup page (or something similar). If clicking on that option gives you a list of your devices you will probably be able to set the device by clicking on the first device current drive to show a list of hard drives, CD drives  floppies etc. attached to your system. Just select the hard drive with the bootable system and you are fixed.
    jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:Boot Sequence Problem 2010/10/31 20:37:49 (permalink)
    So why did you not save the new BIOS settings and test?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1