Basment Studio

Author
dmmi
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 536
2010/10/29 10:17:52 (permalink)

Basment Studio

I have my project studio in my basement.....The celing isn't finished, and I'm debating whether to finish it or not after my drummer suggested I get a spray gun and just paint it......that got me thinking that there may be some sort of spray foam or something with acoustic benefits.

As it stands I have sound isolation insulation attached to the upper subfloor bottom between the floor joists.....I think this works well for acoustics because it elimiantes all flat surfaces.

So could anyone point me to a product....i've done some google foo, and results arn't encouraging thus far.

Thanks!

7 Replies Related Threads

RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    Re:Basment Studio 2010/10/29 11:26:18 (permalink)
    I ran across a lot of info on acoustic treatment when building my bass traps.
    If I had an unfinished basement that I wanted to treat, I'd put fluffy insulation between the studs and a plastic vapor barrier to hold it in.
    Then some sort of fabric cover. This will allow you to use that insulation as a giant absorber.
    This technique is used by studio designers. Check out this thread.
    http://www.johnlsayers.co...amp;hilit=plastic+wrap
    Scroll about half way down for a picture.
    dmmi
    Re:Basment Studio 2010/10/29 12:14:25 (permalink)
    That is what I've done.....but it looks like crap so I wanted to paint it, and thought maybe some spray foam would look nice, and benefit as well?
    RLD
    • Total Posts : 1990
    Re:Basment Studio 2010/10/29 12:31:38 (permalink)
    Sound isolation material is not the same as acoustic treatment material.
    Do you want to soundproof or improve the response of the room?
    If acoustic treatment is the goal, fill up the cavity with insulation, then plastic barrier, then fabric cover.
    What is there to paint?
    Foam is not as good an absorber as fiberglass insulation.
    Anyway, that's what I'd do...
    post edited by RLD - 2010/10/29 12:52:10
    wst3
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Basment Studio 2010/10/29 13:23:12 (permalink)
    just to be clear...

the insulation between the joists thing can make the room sound better, and if the world were a just place that would be enough<G>!

It will not provide any isolation between the basement and the space above. You did not mention needing isolation, so for now I'll assume you don't need it (and dang are you lucky!)

Before you start painting and what not, assuming you have some time & money to play around, there are some things you can do to make it even more interesting as a recording space.

1) instead of fabric, cover the space with boards of unequal size in a random (more or less) pattern - leave lots of gaps. This adds some diffusion and reflection to the space, and can sound really good. If the ceiling is only 8 ft the effect will be subtle.

2) again with the randomness... if you don't like the idea of attaching lumber to the underside of the joists you can put boards up inbetween the joists in a haphazrd fashion before you close it up with plastic and fabric. This will eliminate the uniform cavities, which can have an audible effect on the room.

3) I can't explain it, but the idea of a loosely coupled space works really well too. You can buy/build frames that do some goofy magic to make the room sound larger (sometimes much larger) than it really is. There is an outstanding paper available from the AES (aes.org), and Auralex (believe it or not) sells these panels as part of their pArt Science line.

Stuff that makes you go "hmmmm"

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    dmmi
    Re:Basment Studio 2010/10/29 13:56:12 (permalink)
    Thanks guys....but to be clear....I have fiberglass Sound isolation insulation between the joists held up with vapor barrior....what I want to paint is the whole thing because it's ugly.....think obout it....pink between each joist, then wood joists and visible HVAC ducting....I was thinking of renting a paint spray gun and just spraying the whole thing....then it would give that industrial look.  (kindof like many resuaraunts, stores, etc.)

But then I thought that the vapor barrier is reflective so not good....(as another suggested cover with fabric....but if I wanted to paint it all.....why not use a colored spray foam instead to act as a visual appeal as well as plush type material??
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:Basment Studio 2010/10/30 14:06:47 (permalink)
    dmmi

Thanks guys....but to be clear....I have fiberglass Sound isolation insulation between the joists held up with vapor barrior....what I want to paint is the whole thing because it's ugly.....think obout it....pink between each joist, then wood joists and visible HVAC ducting....I was thinking of renting a paint spray gun and just spraying the whole thing....then it would give that industrial look.  (kindof like many resuaraunts, stores, etc.)

But then I thought that the vapor barrier is reflective so not good....(as another suggested cover with fabric....but if I wanted to paint it all.....why not use a colored spray foam instead to act as a visual appeal as well as plush type material??

I would caution against using a paint sprayer inside where there are furnace's and water heaters with posible flames inside them. Also the spray foam cures out and forms a skin over it. I would think that the spray form with a skin on it would be even more reflective.

Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:Basment Studio 2010/10/31 22:24:38 (permalink)
    Large inexpensive cloth is available at the name brand fabric stores...it's basically cheap cotton t-shirt type material you can buy in bulk. It'll throw a color up there and acoustically won't do much.  You concern about reflection isn't going to be much of an issue at all. It may likely act as a broad band absorber.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1