Multitrack recording with mixer

Author
Ryan Veurink
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 88
2010/10/30 19:09:28 (permalink)

Multitrack recording with mixer

Hello,

I recently purchased a Behringer Eurorack Pro RX1202FX to use with my M-Audio 8R usb interface.   I want to be able to "see" each of the eight seperate tracks in the DAW so I can work on them seperately.   The standard way of setting up the mixer prevents this from happening and just gives you a main mix of everything recorded, I did some research and I found out that if you send a 1/4 jack from the channel insert of the mixer to the input of the soundcard that you can "see" each track seperately recorded the Cakewalk.   The problem with this is that it seems to prevent use of the functions, like changing the equaliser, adding effects from the mixer, the faders etc.

Just wondering if someone uses a similar setup and how they went about it, or if anyone knows what my problem is?    It records fine each track is shown seperately in the daw etc but that does not serve me any purpose unless I can use the functions of the mixer.   

This raised a few other questions, like which phantom power should I use the one on the mixer or the one on the interface, which volumn controls should I use the ones on the mixer or the ones on the interface?

Appreciate any assistance,

Cheers
Ryan

16 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Multitrack recording with mixer 2010/10/30 23:06:27 (permalink)
    A channel insert is usually used for adding a compressor to a channel.  You use the send and return.  Different mixers do it differently.  The Behri might be one plug that carries the signal in and out on one cable.  I don't know.  IF you don't have a direct out you can, as you discovered, go Mic > mixer mic input > insert out > interface in.  Unfortunately that leaves the rest of the channel eq etc. out of the interface.  With a low cost mixer you probably aren't losing too much - any DAW's eq should  be better.  You might be able to route the interface outputs back to the "in" insert.  That would still leave the eq/fx/routing of the mixer out of the equation.

Taking a stab at a solution would involve a patchbay.  You have your interface and mixer patched into it and can route cables anyway you like.  It isn't that expensive - even cheap patchbays work.  Cabling is more expensive, but once you've got it wired up it should be good for years.

You need to let us know more technically what you are trying to do.  How many tracks do you record at once?   Is the mixer for monitoring or you want it before the interface (the latter, I presume)?  Your interface should have a software mixer, as does SONAR or whatever daw you are using and that is the easiest place to set levels and automate them. 

You probably need to do a little more research.  If at all possible I would use the simplest set up, which means plugging in mics to your interface and recording 8 tracks that way.  Then from sonar you can send out 8 tracks back into the mixer and get a stereo mix from it that you record back into your interface.  There are a lot of variables.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Multitrack recording with mixer 2010/10/30 23:20:19 (permalink)
    For what you're trying to do you really need a digital mixer. As far as phantom power, use phantom power on the device you plug your microphone into.

If you use the inserts like you've been doing you can send a straight signal into your recording software and use the mixer more for monitoring your live sound. What you record will be different than what you hear while you are recording but latency won't be a problem (because you aren't monitoring the audio signal as it passes through the computer) and you will have more options as to what to do with the audio after it's recorded. If you record audio with FX from your mixer you are stuck with those FX. If you record audio with no FX then you have many more options.
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Multitrack recording with mixer 2010/10/31 14:21:46 (permalink)
    I think you are confused that a standard analog stereo mixer would show up as a multi channel device in Sonar.  Only a mixer with digital outputs via something like ADAT will show as a multi channel device in any DAW.
    Advice given above is correct. Inserts are used to re -route the signal after the pre amps.
    This signal can be routed to any piece of out board gear or to a recording device.
    An insert patch will intercept the signal before it goes onward to the mixer giving you a nice clean signal.
    To loop through a compressor you would use a special insert cable with a TRS ( stereo) jack on one end and a Y split to 2 standard jacks on the other. ( in/out)

It uses a Tip Ring Sleeve - ( TRS) connection. Normally it sends from the sleeve and returns to the tip. The ring is common.  (I think Mackie reversed this)
    For recording you can therefore intercept the direct signal when you push a standard 1/4" jack in to first click. Pushing a standard jack all the way in will normally stop the signal from continuing onward to the mixer and can also short out the input. I don't know how many times I've found someone has done this and wonders why there's no sound.
    But what I think you are wishing for is a mixer with an 8 bus output. Yours is only stereo.
    You don't want to use the on board EFX they are not a good as the ones in Sonar. I have a sister board so believe me.
    Be careful with phantom power, Do not turn on the audio interface Phantom power when a mixer is attached. You can cause damage.
    post edited by johnnyV - 2010/11/01 12:23:04

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Sonico
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 266
    Re:Multitrack recording with mixer 2010/11/01 13:18:01 (permalink)
    I'am not sure why you want to use your mixer's preamps and eq's but my advice is to go straight to the interface's preamps. Comparing to the behringer, the preamps in your interface should be of better quality and you will be able to eq your recorded sounds and add some flavor once in the digital domain.

Desktop: Intel Core i7 3.60Ghz, 16 GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Laptop: Intel i5 2.3Ghz, 6GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
    Presonus Faderport
    My Music
    fwrend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 709
    Re:Multitrack recording with mixer 2010/11/01 16:47:13 (permalink)
    As a recap including what others have suggested, here are my 2 cents worth:

1. the 8r is your "interface" not the Behringer, and is what allows you to record 8 separate channels into the DAW.

2. the mic preamps on the 8r are going to be much better than the Behringer so, IMO you are going about it the wrong way.  The 8r provides 8 analog outs and can be used to monitor (or supply your live feed) by plugging these into the line in of the Behringer.

3. use the Phantom on the "preamp" you are plugging your mics into (whether the Behri or 8r) but NOT both.  This is assuming that the mics you're using require it.

4. +1 - effects in Sonar will be better than the Behringer so don't limit your options by altering the signal going in because you will be stuck with it once it is recorded

5. if you insist on using the Behringer into the 8r, than yes, use 1/4" cables and insert them into the "inserts" of the Behringer only to the first click as explained so well by johnnyV.  I did this with a Mackie 24/4 mixer into a MOTU 24i (which has no preamps) and it worked awesome.  But again, in your case the 8r has better preamps than your mixer so I would use them.

6. of course, it would be helpful to know exactly in what context you are recording e.g. a live performance, rehearsal. or tracking session - you have the ability to any of those.

Best of luck!
    Ryan Veurink
    Re:Multitrack recording with mixer 2010/11/18 22:23:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for all your responses,

I guess I just bought the wrong thing :)  I figured I would have a bit more control over the sound and would learn basically how it effects the sound because this is all pretty new to me.   Because of the way my room is set up it is easier to change settings on hardware than software, but I can get over that.

So just keep recording through the 8R and change settings through Sonar,

What do you mean by using the mixer to monitor?  

I have a different question also, when I am recording through the 8r I now get input echo without even having Sonar open, I figure there must be an option to turn that off on my sound card but cannot find it.  I want to be able to record while listening to the entire song, less the track I am recording.    This worked fine a few months ago, I would just turn on Input echo if I wanted to hear what I was recording as I recorded it, otherwise I would not hear what I was recording as I recorded it.   Now I hear what is recording simply if a mic is plugged in and the soundcard on.

Cheers
    Ryan
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Multitrack recording with mixer 2010/11/19 00:06:36 (permalink)
    Ryan Veurink

What do you mean by using the mixer to monitor?  

I have a different question also, when I am recording through the 8r I now get input echo without even having Sonar open, I figure there must be an option to turn that off on my sound card but cannot find it.  I want to be able to record while listening to the entire song, less the track I am recording.    This worked fine a few months ago, I would just turn on Input echo if I wanted to hear what I was recording as I recorded it, otherwise I would not hear what I was recording as I recorded it.   Now I hear what is recording simply if a mic is plugged in and the soundcard on.

Cheers
    Ryan

You can use your mixer to monitor an audio signal before it goes into your computer. Doing this allows you to hear what you are recording with no latency. Very handy for recording vocals and any audio source you are running into a soft synth. Your audio interface can also do this. Frankly, you can probably do anything you want without even using your hardware mixer.

If you are getting input echo without Sonar being open, what software are you recording with? You mention your soundcard, are you also using your computer's built in audio interface? So many people use "soundcard" as a generic description for audio interface that it gets a little confusing sometimes. If you are recording audio into your computer all you need to use is your M-Audio 8R. You don't need to use anything that is inside your computer (soundcard/integrated sound). If you do use these devices for recording audio in addition to using the M-Audio 8R it might make a simple situation more complicated than it needs to be.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Multitrack recording with mixer 2010/11/19 00:22:58 (permalink)
    The M-Audio is probably set up to "echo" the input, which is why you are hearing it if you have SONAR configured correctly.  Try bringing up the M-Audio software that controls its soft mixer.  If it is like other interfaces it is capable of zero-latency recording, which means tapping your input signal before sending it to SONAR and directing it to an output (usually this is the corresponding out, so that "In 1" is echoed via "Out 1").  When you overdub it allows you to hear your new signal w/o the delay (latency) inherent in any native daw like SONAR.  4 milliseconds, for example, might be the M-Audio's latency setting.  But you have to double this since the signal is going into Sonar and then back out.  And it takes a ms to do conversion, again both ways.  10 ms might be too much latency for drums or fast guitar runs, etc.  So the interface's zero-latency function allows you to skip the back and forth between SONAR and keep latency as low as possible.  This is important for singers, too, who use the signal to adjust their pitch.  It is worse than useless if their headphone mix is too far behind hitting the note. 

For your purposes you don't want to hear this signal.  If SONAR's Echo is turned off and/or the track muted (if you have a previous overdub on that track), then it is most likely the M-Audio producing the overdub sound in the output.  Track it down in the software mixer that controls the interface and you are done.

It is confusing, since you have the interface hardware, its software control, and SONAR's own soft mixer.  Eliminate SONAR first, then track the problem back to the source.

@

ps, I hope this makes sense, it is late.
    post edited by AT - 2010/11/19 00:27:14

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Sonico
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 266
    Re:Multitrack recording with mixer 2010/11/19 17:37:57 (permalink)
    AFAIK, the M-Audio 8R is capable of low round trip latencies so it should be fine to only use it for recording and monitoring. 

In fact, it also has built in fx to monitor with delay and reverb and dual headphone amp, so you are covered, no mixer needed.

In fact, after checking its features and reading Jim's (Roseberry) comments about the 8r, I now want one for me!!! even when my firestudio project works like a charm!!!!  

Desktop: Intel Core i7 3.60Ghz, 16 GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Laptop: Intel i5 2.3Ghz, 6GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
    Presonus Faderport
    My Music
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:Multitrack recording with mixer 2010/11/19 17:48:54 (permalink)
    You can use the insert out jacks on your mixer. By-passing the EQ, sends, etc is no big deal. You'll have much better tools within Sonar to tweek the tracks later than what your mixer offers....BUT....if your audio interface has 8 inputs, then you don't require the mixer at all. You'll get a better result going straight into your audio interface. That's your best option.
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re:Multitrack recording with mixer 2010/11/19 21:39:00 (permalink)
    But as said, His interface is a better quality piece of gear than that mixer, Behringer Euroracks are entry level.  The less stuff in the way of your signal path the better. A mixer with digital outputs and Better quality pre amps is a good idea, An entry level mixer with pre amps that are possibly not as good as your interface is not a good idea.
    This is a very basic test if you are not sure which pre amp to use.

Turn off all but one channel.
    Set the volume and  Eq at unity, turn off aux and efx.
    Plug in a set of headphones set at 2 o clock
    Now crank up the input gain on the one channel and listen for noise. Do you hear a hum or static? At what volume level does this noise kick in.
    Now try this with a mike plugged in carefully  turn up gain. do this with both and see which device gives you a louder signal at the point where the noise kicks in. A test tone from a guitar tuner placed near the mike works for this. Just watch you don't go nuts and overdrive the pre amp into the red.
    If you are hearing an echo you must have some setting wrong.

post edited by Cactus Music - 2010/11/19 21:47:56

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Ryan Veurink
    Re:Multitrack recording with mixer 2010/11/19 23:15:18 (permalink)
    Thanks once again for all your responses,

All sorted, it was as simple as muting the input on the monitor mixer (interface software)   I thought that muting the input would completely stop the signal from getting to Sonar, but as I now understand the monitor mix is just a duplicate and has nothing to do with what goes into Sonar, all makes more sense now.    So the effects that I can put on through 8r make no difference to the recording, only the monitor mix. 

As for the mixer, its just going to look pretty next to my 8r, no other good use as I can see because the 8r does everything I want. 

Thanks again
    Ryan   
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:Multitrack recording with mixer 2010/11/20 01:34:57 (permalink)
    Well, an outboard mixer can be a handy thing to have if you end up with a lot of outboard midi gear. I've got two 24ch mixers and they're both just about maxed out. All my midi gear and outboard fx are plugged in and ready to go anytime without ever having to patch anything. One less thing to distract you when the creative juices are at work. 
    fentorydekson
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Multitrack recording with mixer 2010/11/22 13:37:35 (permalink)
    Basically use of this multi-track recording with mixer is music recording. Music recording is like to song, road show programme recording. Music is one type of entertainment programme. It is must require to the to multi-track recording
    post edited by fentorydekson - 2010/11/22 13:45:35
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Multitrack recording with mixer 2010/11/24 18:40:37 (permalink)
    Best use for a mixer I find is to crank up the headphone mix, specialty if you are sharing. Both my interfaces have wimpy headphone output due to having to listen to half the signal with the blend knob while overdubbing.
    To hear both input and the computer it has to be in the middle resulting in half the volume from both.
    So I use the mixer to monitor instead.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Multitrack recording with mixer 2010/11/25 05:32:59 (permalink)
    Some good info on this thread.

I've always used a mixer, but these days it isn;'t used for mixing!

I use it to route a wide variety of hardware boxes inot my monitor chain - synths, cd players, mp3 players, hell I've still got a Minidisc & Cassette recorder hooked up!

I recently rationalised my studio outboard gear and what I have left is connected via patchbays to the desk.

This way, I can patch anything in to Sonar very quickly & easily.

It's also used to bring all my ins & outs from my interface into play and setting up headphone mixes.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1