Studio Instruments Help

Author
lakefront38
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2010/11/01 12:08:11 (permalink)

Studio Instruments Help

I am very new to home recording... I purchased Studio Instruments this past week and I while I find the software excellent for the price, I was disappointed at the chords included in the package. How can I add chords to the keyboard and strings? Like a basic "G" Progression... Maybe I'm stupid, but I have read everything available and can not find a clue... I can't imagine anyone just using the chords included in the program... please help.

6 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Studio Instruments Help 2010/11/01 12:52:16 (permalink)
    you can add your own

http://forum.cakewalk.com...58&mpage=1#2118640

just record the midi choard, or find some on the net, save the midi and drop it into the patterns folder :)

lakefront38
    Re:Studio Instruments Help 2010/11/02 11:51:06 (permalink)
    If I had a midi interface and a midi device I probably would not have needed the software. I have a Behringer board and a Behringer UCA 202 interface for recording my guitar work and vocals into the software.  So you feel that I will find these chords on the internet if I do a search? Then I just need to save them in a folder and ultimately copy them into the folder containing the other chords... that sounds reasonable.... thank you.... I'll try that and let you know how I managed... It just seemed strange that they would not have made the software work to allow me to enter them myself... something like press the CTRL key and click on the notes in the chord.... then save the new chord....  it was what I expected.... Do you know where I might find these chords? A website?
    Fog
    Re:Studio Instruments Help 2010/11/02 12:10:19 (permalink)
    well yep you can find them on the net BUT you might find em as groups.. and well export each one..

if you do a search for "chords . mid " although you don't play keys.. regardless of what instrument you do play even a 25 key cheapo one is a great help.

or you can get a chord chart.. and just draw them in in the piano roll view window.. you don't say what you use as a sequencer

post edited by Fog - 2010/11/02 12:15:05
    lakefront38
    Re:Studio Instruments Help 2010/11/08 12:26:57 (permalink)
    Fog

well yep you can find them on the net BUT you might find em as groups.. and well export each one..

if you do a search for "chords . mid " although you don't play keys.. regardless of what instrument you do play even a 25 key cheapo one is a great help.

or you can get a chord chart.. and just draw them in in the piano roll view window.. you don't say what you use as a sequencer

Thanks for your response... I have an old version of Cakewalk i.e., Cakewalk Home Studio XL 2004).  A friend gave it to me because he had upgraded and thought I would make use of it... it has piano roll view...  I'm interested in this concept.... could I just draw in the chords I want to use in a new project then highlight the chord and save it into the chord folder? If this is possible I will look at the documentation associated to the piano roll view and see how this works.... thanks for the tip.... I have searched the net and have come up empty with just finding basic chord files available for download... its always pointing to little chord programs that show you how to play the chords.... I actually have a KORG keyboard in the house... I might consider purchasing a midi interface to plug it in... then I can just play the chords into the package and save them.
    Fog
    Re:Studio Instruments Help 2010/11/09 15:12:19 (permalink)
    yes you can draw in chords, export as midi.. and well your friend shouldn't have "given you" the upgrade.. as he's breaking the license they agreed to.. and the cost of the upgrade was subsidised from his previous version.

lakefront38
    Re:Studio Instruments Help 2010/11/13 15:22:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for your response. My friend did not violate any laws. He purchased a more modern computer and purchased a boxed version of 8.5 from his music store. It wasn't an upgrade it was a complete new install of software and ceased using the older program that he then felt he had the right to transfer to me since he paid for it many years ago and was no longer using it. What I have found from going through the tutorials on the other Cakewalk software is that I will probably purchase another program in the near future. The one that I have (2004 Home Studio XL) is one of the oldest and has the least documentation associated with it. It has slowed me down considerably, but I have managed to record my guitar and vocals into the software... no where in the help does it tell me how to plug the studio intruments into the software... who knows it might have preceeded the use of VSTs in the software (but I doubt it)...  I have determined that my 10 year old Sony Vaio doesn't have the power to do what I want to do with this studio. I will purchase a new computer in the near future and after that I will purchase another  program from Cakewalk now that I realize this is something that I want to do with my spare time. Its fun... I tried typing chords into the piano roll view to no avail... I still can't use the studio instruments the way that I want to... no harm done it was $20... but I believe that I will go to the review of the software and make sure that I spell the fact that it doesn't come with usable chords....  
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1