DIY Lap Steel build? I don't know anything about lap steels!

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2010/11/01 17:19:32 (permalink)

DIY Lap Steel build? I don't know anything about lap steels!

I just ordered two suitable chunks of wood to make a pair of lap steels.

It's something I have always wanted to do.

I am about to begin sketching my plans and have downloaded a few from DIY sites to look at.

I look forward to making custom bridge and nut fixtures.

Having said that...

What I really need to be thinking about at this stage is some basic stuff:

What tunings for beginners?

How many strings?

Scale length? Both of my boards are long enough to go 25-1/2" or more nut to saddle. Is there a sweet spot for tension?

What kind of strings? Gauge? etc

stuff like that.

12 Replies Related Threads

geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:DIY Lap Steel build? I don't know anything about lap steels! 2010/11/02 12:49:40 (permalink)
    Hi Mike,

Great idea! I made a copy of a Rickenbacker lap steel out of Corian a few years ago:

" border="0" />

For beginners I would suggest 6 strings. I think the most common tuning for non-Hawaiian playing is open E or D.

I'm not sure about scale length. I just used the scale length of the guitar I was copying...and I don't remember what it is.

I've never been real particular about strings but you can buy lapsteel sets for various tunings.

Check out Brad's Page of Steel for lot's of useful info:
    Brad's Page of Steel

What kind of pickup are you planning of using?

Have fun and I hope to see/hear it when you're done.
    post edited by geeare1 - 2010/11/02 12:53:51

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:DIY Lap Steel build? I don't know anything about lap steels! 2010/11/02 13:34:41 (permalink)
    Wow! Cool project, please keep us posted!

I'd concur on 6 strings, it let's you start in familiar territory and wander about as you please. I tend to stick to open E and C6 for most of my playing around. The later gives you access to some pretty cool chords without contortions<G>...

In addition to plain old open E (E-B-E-G#-B-e) you can also lower any of the E strings to D to get a flat 7th for an E7 sort of tuning. I usually lower one of the outside strings.

For C6 I use either E-G-C-A-C-e (if I am too lazy to change strings) or C-E-G-A-C-E if I want to use different strings. The cool thing about the later tuning is that you can lower the low string one more step and get a flatted 7th.

I've also experimented with open G and a DADGAD-like tuning (E-B-E-A-B-D) but I have come up with almost nothing that sounds good in either<G>! I really need to work on that, as I enjoy using both on regular guitar.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:DIY Lap Steel build? I don't know anything about lap steels! 2010/11/02 13:35:12 (permalink)
    Mike...

You might recall the custom build I chronicled here a while back.  Here's a link to a guitar builder's site that my builder frequents.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?

In fact, there's a really cool thread there now for a 50's lappy recreation that a guy is almost done with.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=44275

Lots of builders there with lots of experience....really good about answering questions or giving advice/opinions.  Would be a great place to document your build as well.

Funny you bring this up...I've been talking to the guy who built my custom about getting together on a double-neck lap steel build this winter!

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:DIY Lap Steel build? I don't know anything about lap steels! 2010/11/02 13:44:12 (permalink)
    wow... that sounds like a really cool project.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:DIY Lap Steel build? I don't know anything about lap steels! 2010/11/02 13:45:40 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone.

Great links.

Thanks for the strong suggestion for a 6 string and your thoughts on good tunings to try.

I really like the Corian idea... especially when I think about the wide variety of materials that have been historically used.

I'm going to go with a real basic utilitarian design that highlights the fact that the wood is a big solid chunk of nature

I'll be sure to keep posting as I go along. :-)

I wonder if anyone has anymore thoughts about scale length. I'm comfortable laying out fret marks at any scale length... I just wonder if there is any compelling reason to go shorter than an over the neck guitar.

best regards,
    mike

RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:DIY Lap Steel build? I don't know anything about lap steels! 2010/11/02 14:35:41 (permalink)
    geeare1

Hi Mike,

Great idea! I made a copy of a Rickenbacker lap steel out of Corian a few years ago:

Corian - That is clever. And it looks like the bridge is Corian also. Very nice.

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re:DIY Lap Steel build? I don't know anything about lap steels! 2010/11/02 15:02:25 (permalink)
    removed. Decided it wasn't helpful. 
    post edited by spacey - 2010/11/03 06:12:54
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:DIY Lap Steel build? I don't know anything about lap steels! 2010/11/02 17:33:38 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

I just ordered two suitable chunks of wood to make a pair of lap steels.

It's something I have always wanted to do.

I am about to begin sketching my plans and have downloaded a few from DIY sites to look at.

I look forward to making custom bridge and nut fixtures.

Having said that...

What I really need to be thinking about at this stage is some basic stuff:

What tunings for beginners?

How many strings?

Scale length? Both of my boards are long enough to go 25-1/2" or more nut to saddle. Is there a sweet spot for tension?

What kind of strings? Gauge? etc

stuff like that.

If you want to use the Gibson style wrap around bridge there are lots of them cheap on e-bay, just do a search for "wrap around bridge".  I would also get a set of locking studs. I got the ones with the center allen set screw for my LP Jr. and they work great.  May as well get an adjustable bridge while you are at it.  Intonation shouldn't be as big a deal on a slide box but hey, why not ?
    spacey
    Re:DIY Lap Steel build? I don't know anything about lap steels! 2010/11/02 18:06:48 (permalink)
    post edited by spacey - 2010/11/03 06:13:21
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:DIY Lap Steel build? I don't know anything about lap steels! 2010/11/03 03:24:06 (permalink)
    I made one once. It was really easy. This is how you do it:

1 - Buy a mega cheap guitar off eBay
    2 - Grab some pliers
    3 - Rip out the frets
    4 - Tune and play your new lapsteel!!!

I never play it.

I did modify an acoustic once by loosening all the strings then placing a bit of plastic with six grooves (for the strings) in it over the nut to lift the strings well above the frets. After a re-tune it played great! I then performed 'Treat Yo Mamma' by John Butler in front of 1000 students and parents. And it worked!! Pitty my singing sucked... But I got a solo gig on a Sunday afternoon at a pub for it!

Something tells me none of the above info will be useful for your quest.........

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

spacey
    Re:DIY Lap Steel build? I don't know anything about lap steels! 2010/11/03 05:54:49 (permalink)
    post edited by spacey - 2010/11/03 06:13:47
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:DIY Lap Steel build? I don't know anything about lap steels! 2010/11/03 06:50:45 (permalink)
    Yes, I just plan to use regular guitar parts.

I've had a brand new Leo Quan bridge for a long time and I have some tuners etc.

I want to make my own pickup someday... we'll see if this is the project I don it on or if I get to a stage where I want to put in a store bought and start playing.

best regards,
    mike

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1