correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ?

Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2010/11/01 20:16:05 (permalink)

correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ?

Hi all

This has no dout been coverd before but I was hopeing for a bit of advice...

So I have been learning as much as I can about sonar as I go along and I am loveing every momment of it

I now have a good ammount of songs ready for mixing etc so its time for me to give it a dam good go
I dont want to do a half arsed attemt at it so there  is a few questions I would like to ask ?

What level is best to mix to by that I meen what should I be peeking at on the master buss before anything is added to it ? I heave from some its -12 others -6 and others say just use your ears

What are your thoughts

So once I figure out a ruff level to aim at for instance nothing peeking above -12 to leave a lot of head room on the master buss ( or whatever you guys recomend)

The next step is to start adding eq compression limiters like boost 11 etc

So what should I be useing and in what order are they supoz to go

I am sorry to any one who thinks this is a noob question but if I dont ask I will never know and I just want to learn the correct way

The only tools I have are what come with SP8.5 and also a program called ezmix.

What are all your thoughts?

Thanks to every one for any help and advice on this!

I hope to hear back to try mixing some tracks tomorow :D

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

19 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/01 20:51:52 (permalink)
    An important concept is that you should attain some consistency with regards to the levels that you listen to your playback on.

Then you'll be able to judge *by ear* how your mix compares to other mixes you or others have done.

Put on a current pop record and set your monitor levels so that you get about 82dBSPL average C weight at your listening position. Don't adjust the monitor level after that. If you do adjust it for fun or curiosity... put it back where it was when you are done.

After a few weeks you ears will be some what calibrated to the consistency.

Suggestions about the efx chain is that anything goes. It's fairly routine to use a hi-pass on tracks before anything else.

best regards,
    mike

Dyonight
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 529
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/02 23:53:04 (permalink)
    Hi again Norrie!

Looks like thing are doing fine!

Every questions you have here depend on how you like to work and which tests you have done that have acheived the best result.

The key word here is TESTING.

Read as many infos as you can and test everything.

You want to put a reverb before a compressor while everyone tells you its not good?  TEST it!!
    you can achieve very unque technique if you don't fear to not "do it right" the first time.

Anyway here's how I do and keep in mind that I don't hold THE "truth".

First, I send the drums and bass to the same buss, ensure there's a cut in the kick around 200-250hz and a light boost in the bass in this range if needed.

This way everything can be heard and I compress with sonitus multiband.  I keep a fast attack and release below 100hz and keep an overall dynamic range of 6 db.  Note that I mainly do metal stuff.  I mainly eq with multiband too on this buss.  Be carefull on the ultrahighs cause they can become really annoying later.  I keep everything around +/-12db.

I send rythm guitar to another buss, leads guiatr to another.  The tube limiter by studio devil (inculded in Sonar 8.5) on these busses can do really great things.  I adjust the volume of these with the drum/bass by ears.

Vocals to another buss with a light reverb to tie them togheter. Mix with the rest.

I keep my average mix level around -6,-7db, don't mind if there's sometimes peaks around -3,-2db.

Here comes the shelling. On the master buss,  Linear multiband first.  Thighten bass if needed, bring farward or backward low mids , mids, highs etc.  Linear EQ after.  Surgical things here. Cut all unwanted freq till you like what you hear. Boost if needed. Last but not least: Boost11.  If you've done well, Boost11 should only tame the peeks without touching the "meat" of the wave.  Boost as much as you can without causing your mix to "choke". If it choke, turn back a little. If the volume is not loud enough (compared to a wathever "pro" mix), find which instrument is too loud, adjust it and retry.  Your fist mixes WILL take long to get what you want and maybe you'll have to go far backward in your mixing steps but once you get it: CONGRAT!  you're one step closer to excellence!

Don't forget it's the way that work best for me so far, and probably if you ask to 100 enginers they will have 100 differents ways to do things. 100 differents ways shure but I think they share the same basis... which I'm still in search of!

Anyway I hope it will help you get started and don't forget to try things!
    Good luck with your mixes!
    post edited by Dyonight - 2010/11/03 00:06:53
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/03 07:19:11 (permalink)
    What to use on the master buss for final mixing.

2 trains of thought:

1. Mix with nothing in the master. Export it and then master it from a new project. Useful on a computer that is running HIGH CPU numbers from the FX and plugs.

2. Master in the mastering buss.

Levels in the mastering/premastering stages..... -3db is the number I hear a lot. just a wee bit of headroom for the final mastering "bump".  Finished, nothing above 0db.

I generally use #2.   I insert as FEW plugs as possible into a project master. Use only what you really need. In my case I use Ozone4 and I have a number of custom configurations that I will use as starting points. I have refined these to the point that I can pop them in and with very minor tweeks I'm in the ballpark for what I want. I have them for mastering, drums, vocals(several) , and they work very well.

I don't like the reverb in O4 so I tend to use the Studioverb2 cake reverb set to a very low number.

The main plugs in the master buss for most people are compression and EQ. You should not need to use much of either if you have done a good job in the tracking stages.

Mastering should not be a "fix the mix" operation, it should be a "polish this jewel a bit more" operation.

Mastering , as Mike mentioned, is used to get ALL the tracks on a CD to a certain level of consistency, with volume, and EQ. Hopefully the tracks all sound similar so the project sounds like it was recorded at the same time and in the same place. Mastering pulls it all together as one cohesive project.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/11/03 07:24:23

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Norrie
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/03 07:28:28 (permalink)
    This is all really really good stuf guys thanks for everything

On a side note I was hopeing to figure out.....

Once att the mixing stage say for instance I have a vox track and I want it to peek no more than -12 so I lower the fader till i get the level I want  but every so often there is a few peeks going up over the 0db mark

What plugin could I put on that track from Sonar p that would stop the signal going past the -12 mark and whats the best way to set it ?

Would it be a limiter ? what would i set the limiter to ?

Thanks again to everyone :)

Norrie 
    post edited by Norrie - 2010/11/03 07:31:19

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Guitarhacker
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/03 07:32:08 (permalink)
    compression would help achieve that.....BUT....

I find that if I use proper mic technique, and have a strong signal, this is not a problem. I don't put compressors on my vocal tracks, but I do use O4 in the vox sub master. Mild multiband compression, but that is used AFTER the track, so the track is still compression free. Take a listen to my vox on the latest stuff I have on soundclick..... that is done as I have pointed out here.

BMI/NSAI

jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/22 22:03:01 (permalink)
    For what it's worth, I was wondering the same thing and came across this site:
    http://audio.tutsplus.com...in-15-minutes-or-less/

(although the title is somewhat amusing; as I say at work when someone gives an unrealistic time-frame "We can always do a bad job in a short time.")

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    Norrie
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/22 22:19:37 (permalink)
    Guys

If any one is still looking at this thread ......

Would I be right in saying that In the final mastering stage nothing should peek above -0 ?

Thing is I am always mixing out my drums to there own buss and I always leave them there especialy if I have used a preset in superior drummer in that case it takes it to well in to the red so I put boost 11 on it and cut the peek down till it sits not to high

I dont know if I am doing this right though

I then bring everything else up until I am happy with it eg gutars on one buss and bass on another vox on another

I sort of master each buss if that makes sence ?

But as I was saying should I have nothing comeing above -0 when mastering ?

I have to ask this as the drums always peek up in to the red some times even cliping.

You would never know it by listening to them and any one who uses superior drummer 2 would know exactly what I am talk ing about

Infact I put a thread up about it here earlyer if you could get a chance to take a look ? http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2137404

It is this that has me most confused apart from that everything is working out well and nothing apart from the drums peeks above -0 like I said and its at pro sounding levels I am happy with ....

Help ? :P

haha

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/23 00:59:40 (permalink)
    Norrie,

no, nothing should go into the red - not tracks or buses or master bus.  Doing pop or rock, you probably want to hear the bass and drum together so that you can hear the kick and the bass separately.  Kinda funky since both are usually close to center.

You probably don't want the bass on a bus, either - it can just go to the master.  Buses are for treating certain elements together - unless you have several basses playing, no need.  Use track fx.

The great thing about buses is the interior ratio of instruments (such as drums) doesn't change but you can lower the overall sound in the final mix.  If your drum bus is clipping, you need to back off the bus volume.  No need for boost 11 - it (and all comps/limiters) will screw with your sound.  If your drum bus is redlining, so will your master unless you pull it down.

The simplest way to think of comps is that they reduce the dynamic range of the track/bus.  Take drums - if you squash the bejebbers out of it your high-hat is getting almost as loud as your snare, or tom rolls.  It makes the sound flat, one-dimentional and, dare I say, harsh.  When you add that bus to a guitar bus with no depth, your song loses any dynamics, any air around the sounds for your ear to breath (boy, that is a mixed metaphor), and sounds even flatter.  Get a mix together and take out the comps and see the effect. 

I usually start w/ every track at -6dB and pull down from there.  My mixes usually come out -12 to -6 dB.  Once I'm happy, I export it.  Usually that is via analog outs, where I use analog compression/limting and play with that and get a hotter signal.  You can do the same ITB.  Then in Sound Forge I add a final touch of EQ and compression to the file, just a touch, usually to make the songs sound like a coherent CD w/ the same levels and general EQ.  And in CD Architect, you can do the final db adjustment.  I think it has about 1 db + or - for a final tweak when you hear the songs butted up against the other. 

So don't worry about getting your mix as hot as possible.  You can do that in the mastering stage, tho one thing you might want to do is put boost 11 on the master bus and engage it only to see how your mastered song will sound.  I also recommend, if possible, something like Voxengo's package for mastering - Curve EQ and Elephant.  Cheap and very good.  I like them better than Cake's stuff, but I had them before the 64 bit stuff so I haven't really used Cake's mastering tools.  You may find them as good.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Norrie
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/23 04:04:19 (permalink)
    Hi AT!

Good to hear from you again!

Yeah I tottaly agree the way I see it is green is good and red is bad haha

The thing that I wasnt geting was due to superior drummer presets or even with out the pre sets the moment you start playign the kits on them it starts cliping.

I thoguht if a company like that were to be makeing pre sets they would make sure that they were able to use straight away (meening no cliping etc)

The bass bus is a very bad habit I fell in to when starting a track and one I need to get out of like you said its not need and just needs to go to the master bus.... I have no idea why I started doing it that way.....

Anyhoooooo back to the drum bus thing

Normaly when I mix my own useing compressors and Eqs etc I will make sure I hit around -12 leaveing plenty of room for the mastering stage

I have no Idea why the pre sets from toontrack hit the red

I think what I will do is try a pre set today and bring the fader level downon the bus so it peeks no higher than -0

With all that said though is it wrong for me to be doing things like this.....

Drums out to one bus / fx etc on that bus
    Guitars out to one bus /fx etc on that bus
    Leed guitar out to one bus / fx etc on that bus
    Vox out to bus / fx etc
    Once I am happy with all my levels I send every bus back to the master ?

PLease tell me if I am wrong I just want to wrong and not fal in to any bad habbits like I have

Thanks guys

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/23 06:07:27 (permalink)
    Norrie, just for your information, I use BFD2 for my drumming needs, and I've noticed that if I use their mixing presets, they too clip like crazy when I bring them into Sonar.

There are a couple of solutions:

1 - Don't use the presets in the plug, bring all your drum outputs separately into Sonar and mix from there
    2 - Lower all the faders in the plug by about 12db

I personally am happier using option 1, and I end up with about 20 or so drum tracks in Sonar

These are routed to separate busses, as follows:

Kick > Bass Bus (along with my Bass track(s))
    Snare, Cymbals, Hi-Hat > Drum bus
    Toms > Tom bus
    Tom Buss > Dum Bus

I'll apply a bit of gentle compression on the individual tracks, where needed (Kick/Snare/Toms)
    A little bit more on the busses (Bass/Toms/Drums)

By the time this all reaches the mater bus, I've got the exact amount of compression I need, still leaving room for the drums to "breathe", but with controlled dynamics.

On a typical rock song, I end up with quite a few busses:

Bass
    Toms
    Drums
    Lead Gtrs
    Rhythm Guitars
    Lead Vox
    Backing Vox
    Keyboards
    Strings

etc.

These then all feed what I call a "Pre Master" bus which in turn feeds the master bus

This is useful as I can apply my chain of mastering plugs and enable/disable it at will for comparison purposes.

Hope this helps!!!!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/23 07:39:34 (permalink)
    Norrie

With all that said though is it wrong for me to be doing things like this.....

Drums out to one bus / fx etc on that bus
    Guitars out to one bus /fx etc on that bus
    Leed guitar out to one bus / fx etc on that bus
    Vox out to bus / fx etc
    Once I am happy with all my levels I send every bus back to the master ?

PLease tell me if I am wrong I just want to wrong and not fal in to any bad habbits like I have

Thanks guys

Norrie
    Nope - nothing wrong with that structure. Although I'll mention that there is no need to go to a bus if there is only one track going there (not sure if that is the case in your scenario or not - IE: lead guitar). In that case, just send put the fx in that track's fx bin and route it directly to the main bus. Besides the fact that the bus would be serving no real purpose in that scenario, you also have the advantage of being able to freeze a track whereas you cannot freeze a bus.

Guitarhacker
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/23 07:40:21 (permalink)
    Some FX will cause clipping in the tracks even if the levels are not above 0db.

Melodyne.... on my system has a bad tendency to do that to the vocal track. It is NOT evident during the playback but it sure turns to crap when it gets exported.

I just had to go back and reduce the track level two times by 2 db each time, and BTW: during playback BEFORE I reduced anything.... the meter did not touch the red anywhere.  It was a try it and see thing..... finally got the vox out and clean....

BMI/NSAI

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/23 10:20:45 (permalink)
    A good grounding in what each staple effect does then it makes sense as to which order you want to apply them to get the desired result.

For example you'd be certain instead of having a suspicion that it was a limiter you needed to tame a few stray peaks on an otherwise good take when you mentioned it earlier.

Aside from technical considerations there are artistic/creative reasons for using particular plugs i.e an eq to get a 'telephone' quality voice or smashing a drum track with a compressor in order to get it to pump rhythmically.

A basic understanding of these things will often naturally imply what order to put them in. For example it is most common to put a compressor after an eq because you'd want the compressor to act on the treated signals rather than it be triggered by frequencies you intend to remove. Of course there are scenarios where you'd want that so there are no hard and fast 'rules'.

On the finished level question again it is worth looking up the differences between peak and RMS db levels as they are vastly different and mostly you'd use db RMS or even K-Metering to arrive at a consistent output volume.

Also I'm of the school of 'if it sounds good then it is' before you get too bogged down in figures, graphs and charts.  You'll get out of it more than the effort you put in though so a bit of study is always worthwhile.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/11/23 10:26:17

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    AT
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/23 10:38:25 (permalink)
    Norrie,

you seem to be asking all the right questions, keep going for it.  There are no stupid questions (tho there are plenty of stupid people that ask them).

a lot of good answers above - your question was pretty broad and doubled so you are going to get shotgun style answers.  But many people will tell you their way of doing things, letting you pick and choose what works for you.  File the tips/tricks away and use them to see if they work for you.  As to the rules, there are good reasons why they exist - such as Jonbouy's eq then comp.  That is how I work most of the time, but you can, of course, eq an already comped track.  You should have a reason, tho.

Or like my advice not to worry about the mix volume.  That was important back in analog days, not so much now since there are various ways to raise the average level of a song.  The real trick to mixing is to find you a convienent layout so you can tweak the bus mixes, raising the mix a few dbs w/ a few faders or lower it the same way.  Music has a lot of science in it, but it is art.  It takes time, but also an enquiring mind, which you obviously have.

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/23 11:46:08 (permalink)
    you seem to be asking all the right questions, keep going for it.

Absolutely!

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Norrie
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/23 13:23:39 (permalink)
    Hey guys thanks for all the replys

Haha

Now where to start with what I have read above.........

Bristol..... I am glad I am not the only one who is seeing a drum program causeing instant cliping.

I am doing exactly like you are now and mixing out of the box well out of SD2 that is and sending to tracks in Sonar by doing this I felt it would give me more of a feel as if I was actualy mixing a accoustic kit and I would then have an Idea about how to go about it when the time comes ( apart from mic positions but I will get round to that when I need to)

So I do all my drums sent out of Sd to individual tracks now and it works better for me that way :)

I am glad to hear I am not the only one.

Thanks also to AT and Jon for the kind replys and great help aswell

Good to know you are all willing to help especialy when I want to learn so bad :)

We were talking above about my use of busses and for instance haveing one bus for the leed guitar and one for the bass etc.....

I should have explained that a bit better so I am sorry

The reason I have been doing it that way is because I have been useing out board gear for my sounds rather than plugins for my guitars and bass

I have been useing a Vamp pro and Vamp pro bass

Once I have my first guitar down I need to then freeze the track so I can use the amp for my next part problem I have found with this is though I cant then add anything on to the freezed track so I send it out to a bus then add in what ever I need :)

Thats my reason for haveing a leed buss and bass bus etc.... a bus for this that and the next thing haha

Is this the wrong way for me to be doing this ?

I would rather get out of bad habits now than find out later on down the line I could have been doing things a lot better

You guys have been great I cant thank you enough this thread is a great help to me!

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    AT
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/23 15:19:06 (permalink)
    Norrie,

see, you are learning to do things your way, the same way you figured out how to use buses.  There is more than one way to skin a sound, or song. 

@

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/11/24 04:17:43 (permalink)
    +1 AT

Norrie, another way around your problem with frozen tracks is this.

1 - Copy/Drag your frozen track into a new track (so you now have 2, one frozen, one unforzen)
    2 - Mute (or archive) and hide your frozen track

Now you can apply any Fx to the copy in the tracks own Fx bin

If you want to revisit your frozen track, unfreeze it, make any changes via the Pod or V-Amp, then freeze again, and copy/drag down to the clone.

This way, you can the set up your busses accordingly - just have one bus for lead guitars, another bus for Rhythm/Acoustic guitars, another one for drums etc.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    picklebunker
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 130
    Re:correct order of a efx chain on the master buss ? What level do you all mix to ? 2010/12/19 19:48:00 (permalink)
    All this is great but leaves one piece of the puzzle out. Once you have all of the busses, Ozones and tracks (oh, my) set and ready to go, what is everybody's preference to producing a final wave file? Is it exported as a wave file with Powr dithering, or is it recorded as "what you hear"? What is the preference for the final stereo file? 16 bit 24 bit? and of course what is realistic for putting onto the web, a cd, or an Ipod?

These are questions I've had.

al

YAMAHA SY22
    Zoom R16
    DELL INSPIRON 1 GIG. 2.7
    SONAR 6PE
    REASON 1.0
    ZOOM GFX-3
    ESP LTD H 300
    MIDISPORT UNO 16
    Bugera 6262
    APEX MICS