microphones and the Lexicon Alpha

Author
sirenadelmar
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 132
2010/11/02 01:08:24 (permalink)

microphones and the Lexicon Alpha

i have an old one point Stereo Sony microphone (#ecm-ms907). it ends in a 1/4 inch plug which doesn't allow for insertion into the Lexicon Alpha.  could i put an adapter on it and use it, or do i have to get a new mike.  which mike would be good for a high soprano voice that's pretty loud and who's on a very tight budget.  (i mean, i have to sing in the subway of New York City until i make the money to buy the mike.  which is what i did for the Alpha. :) so far no regrets!

sirena del mar

19 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/02 08:55:23 (permalink)
    yeah... an adapter should work just fine for now.

A mic that has a 1/4" plug on it is a high impedance mic. I would start looking around to buy a nice low impedance condenser mic. Do not fall victim to buying a USB mic. Buy a straight up old school mic that is low impedance. Expect to spend between $100 to $400 for a nice mic.... more cost is generally better but you can find many good mics that will give you a good sound reproduction at a reasonable cost.

Look around and ask around.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/02 09:12:27 (permalink)
    yep, I agree with herb.  you can't plug it into the line inputs of the lexicon because there's no mic preamp there, so an adapter will work for now, but consider getting a better mic.  check my website for some recommendations.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/02 09:43:27 (permalink)
    I did a similar thing back in the day when I moved from a boom box to a fostex 4-Track. I had previously perchased a nice matched stereo condenser microphone which required a battery to work but was great for picking up ambient sounds as well as recording my different acoustic guitars. Each mic had 1/8" plugs. I purchased the adapters to go to the 1/4" inputs. I still wish that mic was still working. It was great for an overhead stereo pair.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/02 12:44:01 (permalink)
    The Sony products page says it comes with a stereo mini-plug, not a 1/4 inch plug. So is it the really small plug (like the small plugs to listen to iPods and CD portable players) or a 1/4 inch plug (the size of guitar cord plugs)?
    Either way, you can find adapters for it at Radio Shack for just a couple of dollars.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    sirenadelmar
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/05 21:43:09 (permalink)
    i remembered that i have a Shure mike SM48 (its actually pretty old, but i was told that those mikes last forever.)   i didn't have the cable that i bought today.  i plugged it to the Lexicon Alpha and it records,  but there's a lot of hiss.  im in a basement, no other sounds but the computer and other equipment and me.  where's the hiss coming from?  im ready to record but i can't!!!

sirena del mar
    Beagle
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/05 21:56:06 (permalink)
    how much hiss are you talking about?  what do the meters go up to if you've got the track armed, but you're not actually recording anything.  what are you recording voice?

sirenadelmar
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/05 22:02:31 (permalink)
    im talking about an annoying hiss. louder than i would like.  i believe that when one is recording voice there's an amount of hiss to be expected but this is louder than what i think is to be expected.  i think that you're on the right track by asking about the meters, the meter for the voice is not going to high.  in the past, when i have recorded in a studio my voice makes the meter go way high.  now   -54.  when is just turned on the green meter band doesn't spike at all.  i know i'm doing something wrong, but although i looked the audio windows several times, i cannot figure it out.  im new at this part of the project and there are many words in those windows that are Greek to me.
    Beagle
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/05 22:29:02 (permalink)
    ok, then we're onto the problem.  a mic should give you much better than -54dB on your voice.  first, are you within 2-6" of the mic?  if so, and you have the knob on the lexicon turned all the way up, and make sure you've got the mic plugged into the MIC input, not into the INSTRUMENT input.  the MIC needs the preamp of the MIC input, the INSTRUMENT input will not give you enough gain on a microphone.

also, check your lexicon alpha software and make sure the input sliders are all the way up.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/05 22:30:19 (permalink)
    hiss usually comes from a mic input that is turned up too high. try turning the mic input down and get close to the mic.

A bad cable usually causes hum.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    sirenadelmar
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/05 22:33:34 (permalink)
    the lexicon alpha only came with the Cubase, which i never installed because something went wrong.  that's when i decided to use MC.  so i don't know what it is that i should check.  i only downloaded the drive from the LA website.

the microphone is connected in the microphone port in the back of the lexicon with a microphone cable that i bought fresh today. 
    Beagle
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/05 22:36:02 (permalink)
    look in your START menu and see if you have a program for the LEXICON ALPHA.  when it opens, check the sliders.

herb - I would agree with you if her peaks weren't at -54dB even with the source.

sirenadelmar
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/05 22:55:48 (permalink)
    what i have under Lexicon Alpha is

Alpha Manual
    Alpha Software Installation Guide
    Reinstall Alpha Drivers
    Uninstall Alpha Drivers

when i reviewed the Software Guide it said something confusing.  it asked me to make sure that the settings are in favor of the computers soundcard.  Gregory had adviced to make sure that they were in favor of the Lexicon Alpha and it has been working well.  i was able to record all my keyboard tracks (not MIDI) the way i wanted them.  they actually sound great.  if i could get 2/3 of that sound for my voice track i would have a very nifty CD, which is what im trying to do.
    sirenadelmar
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/06 07:06:38 (permalink)
    Hey Beagle,  have you abandoned me!  please help!
    Beagle
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/06 08:37:32 (permalink)
    Sorry, Rosateresa, I had to go to bed!!!  I'm in the US, central time.  when you posted last it was about 10:30 or 11pm for me!

Ok, let me try to find an online version of your manual and see if I can make sense of that.  I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Beagle
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/06 08:48:17 (permalink)
    one thing I see off the bat just to be SURE, you said you're using the MIC input in the back for the mic hookup, but which knob are you using to turn the gain up for the mic?  your manual says that you should be using INPUT 2 knob.  turn it all the way up.

I'll keep looking in the manual for more info.

Beagle
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/06 09:02:17 (permalink)
    OK, next thing I notice from the manual is that it partially says and otherwise implies that if you have anything connected to the LINE INPUT 2 (a 1/4" cable) that the MIC input is disabled.  make sure you don't have anything in the LINE INPUT 2, only the MIC connected to the MIC (XLR) input.

Beagle
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/06 09:10:26 (permalink)
    next thing is make sure you're selecting the correct INPUT in Music Creator.  on your AUDIO track, in the PROPERTIES, make sure you have it set to "STEREO IN > RIGHT"

NOT LEFT!

and then make sure you've ARMED the track by clicking on the little round icon on the AUDIO track properties and it will turn RED.  if you hover your mouse over it, it will say "RECORD OFF" if it's off and "RECORD ON" if it's on and red.

sirenadelmar
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/06 19:23:19 (permalink)
    i apologize.  you've spoiled by answering my questions quickly every time i post.  i hope you had wonderful musical dreams. 

i on the other hand was terrified about not being able to finish this CD, so i slept an uneasy sleep  (its ok, they will be a time in my life that i will sleep eternally. ) but thanks to you (ta, ra, ra ta, TA) i was able to sing into my track.  the problems was with the selection of the Stereo.  When recording the keyboard i was recording on Left Alpha In/Out,  so since im doing this by the seat of my pants, i was recording on the left again.  It makes sense that im to record on the other side of the stereo track, but i couldn't see this before. 

i have the booklet for the Lexicon Alpha, but i think i left it somewhere that i don't have access to when im in the place where i record. (Yeah, you would think that i will keep the literature with me so i could read when necessary, but then i wouldn't have an excuse to correspond with you, and the other wonderful people of the forum. )

anyway, as always im in your debt.  since we live in different time zones (im Eastern Standard Time) i doubt very much that ill be able to repay you, but know that every time i think of you and the solutions you send thru the forum i wish for you many good things.

sirena del mar
    Beagle
    Re:microphones and the Lexicon Alpha 2010/11/06 20:09:58 (permalink)
    very glad to help out!  the part about the STEREO>LEFT is actually in the CUBASE setup part.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1