I am considering a Rain computer with Sonar 8.53 or Radar Nyquist DAW has anyone used

Author
anniedog
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
2010/11/02 10:24:44 (permalink)

I am considering a Rain computer with Sonar 8.53 or Radar Nyquist DAW has anyone used

Hi I am still having problems with my home built computer and Sonar 64 on win 7 64.
Gigabyte x58UD5 Rev 1 Bios rev 6
12 GIGS Kingston 1333 Ram
UAD quad DSP card
2  10,000  speed hard drives sata 2
2 storage sata2 hard drives  7200 speed
corsair  650watt PS
V studio vs 700
I use a multiplier to get ram to run at 1333  , turned disk caching off , tried turbo and regular modes in bios, tried ram timing settings. 7 7 7 21    and all on auto.      
I still get crashes from bit bridge even though i have set various plugins to run on different bridges as per Cakewalk Tec support. I also getting crashes with messages that I crashed because of  overclocking or voltage issues.
I am thinking of trying Rain computers or Buying a  IZ Radar setup for stability  as I cannot depend on this system and or software combination to not crash in session and wreck any credibility I may  have left with my clients.
Now that Roland supports the (VS700), I don't hold much hope for future quality support, given the history I have experienced with their customer support with other Roland products. Has anyone used a Rain computer with Sonar. Has anyone used an  IZ Radar Nyquist setup

7 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:I am considering a Rain computer with Sonar 8.53 or Radar Nyquist DAW has anyone us 2010/11/02 11:19:21 (permalink)
    What version of Sonar are you running?

If you're using Sonar 8 (first generation of BitBridge), many 32Bit plugins had issues with BitBridge.
    If you're using Sonar 8.5 (BitBridge 2), most 32Bit plugins work fine.  For those that have issues (ie: Melodyne), you can use jBridge.

Getting a new DAW won't have any affect on a 'bridging' related problem.
    Solve the bridging problem/s... and you'll be good-to-go.

The error message you see from the BIOS is the result of a fail-safe mode that the BIOS goes into when the system is improperly shut down (ie: When a crash occurs).  This is to protect the machine from accidental over-clocking.
    In your example, the BIOS (incorrectly) assumes it's been mistakenly over-clocked... which resulted in a crash.
    This is normal/expected behavior given the circumstances.
    Again, solve the bridging related issues... and you'll be fine.  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    anniedog
    Re:I am considering a Rain computer with Sonar 8.53 or Radar Nyquist DAW has anyone us 2010/11/02 13:12:29 (permalink)
    Hi Jim
     Thanks for your help. I have been running Sonar 8 Five.3 producer, sixty four biton windows 7 sixty four bit pro, ( sorry my five key and six key do not work on my lap top , dog spilled glass of juice on keyboard).  I was told I could assign up to 32  numbers of bit bridge but it seems I cannot go over 10. I don't use many plugins at once ,and I record flat. The only VIs I use are pads and Pianos,  session drummer3 and guitar rig 4 pro sixty four bit.  i can't get the roland fantom to work in sixty four bit even with the hot fix. and it is unstable as a plugin as well. I have a UaD 2 Quad card for most of my other plugin effects. I do not use many of these at a time. I freeze tracks I am not actively working on . The rev of my MB is 1   Have you heard of any problems with this MB? I am afraid to get into any work as I never know when I will crash. The  loss of editing data even with  frequent saving . is a real problem, as on at least 4 sessions I lost 4 to 8 hours of wave file work. thanks again for your help.    FYI Melodyne has a new sixty four bit version of Editor both stand alone and as a plugin. I have it but no time yet to test it out, other than to run a file through both stand alone and plugin . Seems to work at this level.

post edited by anniedog - 2010/11/02 13:37:41
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:I am considering a Rain computer with Sonar 8.53 or Radar Nyquist DAW has anyone us 2010/11/02 14:04:48 (permalink)
    If you're experiencing major stability problems... the first thing I'd do is verify the stability of the machine itself.
    Test the RAM... and stress-test the core hardware as a whole.
    Until you can say for sure that the hardware is rock-solid stable... you're chasing your tail. 
    Once you've establish that the core hardware is OK, then you can move on to config/software issues.
    One easy way to rule out "bridging" related problems is to install/run the 32Bit version of Sonar.
    If you still experience stability issues (running the 32Bit version of Sonar), then bridging can be ruled out.

FWIW, On current generation machines, if you're having stability issues, RAM is often the culprit.
    post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2010/11/02 14:07:25

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    anniedog
    Re:I am considering a Rain computer with Sonar 8.53 or Radar Nyquist DAW has anyone us 2010/11/02 14:10:54 (permalink)
    Thanks Jim.
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:I am considering a Rain computer with Sonar 8.53 or Radar Nyquist DAW has anyone us 2010/11/02 14:40:12 (permalink)
    much better options than Rain including Jim!

google "pro audio computers"

also both Jim and I offer paid support to get your system up and running right.

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:I am considering a Rain computer with Sonar 8.53 or Radar Nyquist DAW has anyone us 2010/11/02 14:42:35 (permalink)
    I've been using a Rain PC since 2007 with no problems at all.
    fsr76
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re:I am considering a Rain computer with Sonar 8.53 or Radar Nyquist DAW has anyone us 2010/11/03 19:19:01 (permalink)
    As Jim pointed out, every 32-bit plugin has a different response when running in a 64-bit host environment.  Listing the plugins that aren't working and what's happening when they don't would be a good place to start if you want free help on this forum.

Fred
    PCAudioLabs
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1