Construction Kits.........How to ?

Author
Truckermusic
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1924
2010/11/03 09:19:24 (permalink)

Construction Kits.........How to ?

Ok
My next burning question (I have several....)

Construction kits.......I have a lot of these buggers....

In an over all general theory I understand the concept...(or at least I would like to think I do.)

You load them up into something and then trigger them....When done you will end up with a composit track.....sum should be greater than the parts..or so they tell me...

My stupid question is "HOW do you do this?"
What (program or synth do I use???) do I put them in to trigger to make this happen??

Ok let's say for talking.....
I snag a construction kit off of a CM MAg. Disk
they are Acidized files (I know that in the future I will be asking about Rex files and sound font files but for now let's just stay with the Acidized file)
Recorded at 24 bit / 44.1

this construction kit contains:
 a Kick
a snare
High Hat

OK Now what????
What do I call on to load them into?
How do I trigger them?
Since this is audio will each instrument have it's own audio track? 
If so then we should send them all to a buss in the mixer for over all vol. and processing....

Thank You for the help here
Clifford

P.S. I am going to assume that if you have a one shot the answer you have for me here will be the same as using a construction kit.....because I can see that it is essentially the same idea.....

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
16 Gig of Ram 
4.5 Gighz
Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
Unibrain Firewire Card
Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
Mackie Big Knob
NI Komplete 8
Machine 2

12 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Construction Kits.........How to ? 2010/11/03 10:46:24 (permalink)
    a construction kit is simply a bunch of samples (from hits to measures and more) that go together.

The samples are easiest to load into a sampler and play them.  Or for your drum kit you could just drag a series of samples into a beat of a bar or more, grab and copy it as many times as you want.  Over that you can add more samples/instruments or go into one of your beats and change hits around.

For construction beats or bars - I just drag some into the timeline on different tracks and then shuffle them around.  Some people have an ear or talent for that.  Me, I'm a horrible musician, so when I do my shuffling I have no internal concept of what it should sound like (unlike a trained musician) and I come up w/ different sounding stuff.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Truckermusic
    Re:Construction Kits.........How to ? 2010/11/03 11:13:20 (permalink)
    AT

a construction kit is simply a bunch of samples (from hits to measures and more) that go together.

The samples are easiest to load into a sampler and play them.  Or for your drum kit you could just drag a series of samples into a beat of a bar or more, grab and copy it as many times as you want.  Over that you can add more samples/instruments or go into one of your beats and change hits around.

For construction beats or bars - I just drag some into the timeline on different tracks and then shuffle them around.  Some people have an ear or talent for that.  Me, I'm a horrible musician, so when I do my shuffling I have no internal concept of what it should sound like (unlike a trained musician) and I come up w/ different sounding stuff.

@

Ok....this is generally what I know ....

so you say a sampler....????  In Sonar what is considered our sampler?

I have the plugin "Highlife" from the CM MAg....but have not had any success...

IF not a sampler then can we load them into something like "the Step Sequencer or Beatscape"?
    If so , then how?

I have bits and pieces of info but some how I'm just not connecting the dots..
    I know Cyclone is suppose to be geared for this???
    NO????? 
    but I struggle to get this to work.....

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:Construction Kits.........How to ? 2010/11/05 07:07:21 (permalink)
    Drop Zone is a pretty nice sampler for one shots, Beatscape is a pretty nice sampler for loops (love the content thought, but not the unintuitive browser...). Just drag and drop the sounds you want. Beatscape also does a decent enough job of slicing any loop you drop on a pad by itself.

Shortcircuit from Vember Audio is a really good freeware sampler that used to be payware.

On the CM DVD you'll also find the 404 which is a pretty good and easy to use sampler but it only handles 16 bit wavs.

More than this you can also just drag and drop the loops onto an audio track, maybe turn them into groove clips, and arrange away.
    post edited by Legion - 2010/11/05 07:09:09

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    Truckermusic
    Re:Construction Kits.........How to ? 2010/11/05 09:57:17 (permalink)
    Legion

Drop Zone is a pretty nice sampler for one shots, Beatscape is a pretty nice sampler for loops (love the content thought, but not the unintuitive browser...). Just drag and drop the sounds you want. Beatscape also does a decent enough job of slicing any loop you drop on a pad by itself.

Shortcircuit from Vember Audio is a really good freeware sampler that used to be payware.

On the CM DVD you'll also find the 404 which is a pretty good and easy to use sampler but it only handles 16 bit wavs.

More than this you can also just drag and drop the loops onto an audio track, maybe turn them into groove clips, and arrange away.

Excellent
    I will try these.......Thank you.....
    I was wondering about beatscape...I have fooled with it a bit but nothing serious...
    for what ever reason I'm not really sure what I'm thinking...I guess I'm looking to see if I am missing something.........

So Thank you very much

Clifford

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    AT
    Re:Construction Kits.........How to ? 2010/11/05 19:21:17 (permalink)
    if you have Dimpro LE you can drop samples into it - four at a time.  kick/snare and two others - save it and load anohter instance of LE to round out your "kit."  I guess that would work, tho I don't know about setting them up for keyboard playing in LE.  Or find a SFZ drum kit and use the text sfz file to build your own across the keyboard.  But I think beatscape would be your best bet - is what it is made for.

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:Construction Kits.........How to ? 2010/11/07 03:41:13 (permalink)
    And Beatscape has multiple outs. A feature Dim (even Pro) is missing and sady limits it's use for drums... (Oh how I would love a multi out Dim Pro)

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    Truckermusic
    Re:Construction Kits.........How to ? 2010/11/15 08:44:49 (permalink)
    AT

if you have Dimpro LE you can drop samples into it - four at a time.  kick/snare and two others - save it and load anohter instance of LE to round out your "kit."  I guess that would work, tho I don't know about setting them up for keyboard playing in LE.  Or find a SFZ drum kit and use the text sfz file to build your own across the keyboard.  But I think beatscape would be your best bet - is what it is made for.

@

I have the full version of Dim Pro. I would imigine that I can do the same thing as well.....yes?

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    AT
    Re:Construction Kits.........How to ? 2010/11/15 11:25:41 (permalink)
    Yes, DimPro would work as well for samples.

@

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Construction Kits.........How to ? 2010/11/15 15:09:37 (permalink)
    +1 all ... excellent thread Clifford ...

Construction kits may be the future for 90% of us here.  Correct me, mates, if I'm deluded again! 

Other 2 cents:

1) IIRC, Sonar X1 has 64-bit beatscape ... for all those wonderful rex and rx2 construction kits out there.  I always use Beatscape with its diverse construction kits (my last 10+ songs)

2) Haha ... Now my former lust to purchase *cough* 32-bit Rea$on, seems a bit obsolete.  (Reason may have been a golden standard for construction kits)

3) Construction kits will are awesome for my grooves, pre-fab bass-lines, and drums.  But many chord progressions and vocs are producer-quality, IMHO.

4) The cheapest top-notch construction kits I've found are www.producerloops.com.  But there are many great ones to google.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Truckermusic
    Re:Construction Kits.........How to ? 2010/11/18 15:48:28 (permalink)
    Philip

+1 all ... excellent thread Clifford ...

Construction kits may be the future for 90% of us here.  Correct me, mates, if I'm deluded again! 

Other 2 cents:

1) IIRC, Sonar X1 has 64-bit beatscape ... for all those wonderful rex and rx2 construction kits out there.  I always use Beatscape with its diverse construction kits (my last 10+ songs)

2) Haha ... Now my former lust to purchase *cough* 32-bit Rea$on, seems a bit obsolete.  (Reason may have been a golden standard for construction kits)

3) Construction kits will are awesome for my grooves, pre-fab bass-lines, and drums.  But many chord progressions and vocs are producer-quality, IMHO.

4) The cheapest top-notch construction kits I've found are www.producerloops.com.  But there are many great ones to google.

So then are you saying that you load up your construction kits in Beatscap and go from there?

Clifford

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Construction Kits.........How to ? 2010/11/18 21:01:23 (permalink)
    with con kits, you'll notice the loops made with them also.. so you can do varients .. loops are  nice, but having the con kits helps heaps also.

it's handy to have the separate elements.. but some of the things have "play" patches.

you can make up patches using dim LE even, but needs a small bit of SFZ text programming or drop them into NI battery etc

Truckermusic
    Re:Construction Kits.........How to ? 2010/11/30 08:49:21 (permalink)
    Fog

with con kits, you'll notice the loops made with them also.. so you can do varients .. loops are  nice, but having the con kits helps heaps also.

it's handy to have the separate elements.. but some of the things have "play" patches.

you can make up patches using dim LE even, but needs a small bit of SFZ text programming or drop them into NI battery etc

fog
    This is something that I need to learn how to do....
    Can you give me some simple guidance to start with and then we can move to the harder stuff?

Clifford

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob