Could someone please help me pick a subwoofer I need to buy from the UK though....

Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2010/11/03 21:45:50 (permalink)

Could someone please help me pick a subwoofer I need to buy from the UK though....

Hi all!!!!

I am hopeing to buy somehting tomorow but I havent got the first clue what will work and what wont work ;(

First off I need to find the cheepest possible Subwoofer that will work with my set up as I plan to up grade my monitors and sub in about 6 months time and spend around 1k
so a cheep sub would just be for a bit of extra feeling in my mix to go with the monitors I have at the momment so the cheeper the better...

Ive been thinking for a while now about geting a small subwoofer for my home studio the room isnt very big.

The one big down side to all of this is I havent got a lot of money Ive used almost everything I have to set up my home studio to the standard it is at the moment.

So with that said and house hold bills comeing in I have a limit of what I think will be about £60 -£100 at the very most. rven lower if I can would be great like I said I am not loking for mirricles at a cheep price ( I know this is not a lot of money and I dout I will get something at this price).

The monitors I am useing are Tapco s5's ( made by mackie but have been discontinued).

You can read a review about them here http://www.soundonsound.c...4/articles/tapcos5.htm

I like them and cant really fault them they are doing me well but as the review here says "Clearly there must be compromises with a monitor of this size and cost — the bass end drops away quite rapidly below the traditional kick-drum frequencies, the overall 'focus' isn't quite the equal of expensive monitors, and the maximum SPL is lower — but there are no compromises so serious that you can't make great mixes on them"

I have noticed this a lot recently  ( I use a roland td20 and also use superior drummer 2 but have noticed the lack of feeling in the kick drum ) I have been doing some jams with my bass player friend once I have a ruff mix of the two of us I will take it to my other computer that has a cheep set of creative speekers with a subwoofer and the first thing I can see a difference is the kick drum just hits you and the bass is pounding (this is just from a cheep sub like i was saying)

So I am hopeing to find somehting I can use and pick up very cheep that will at least give me a bit more of lets say a thump and a kick up the arse

I have seen this http://www.richersounds.c...rumble/elta-rumble-blk

Its chee but looks like it could do the job

I have no idea if I could set this up with my vs 700 or with my tapcos so I am looking for some advice or some one to tell me yes it will or no it wont.

Even if some one could point me in the direction of something in my price range I could get I will by it straight away  It would have to be from a UK shop / suplyer though

I hope some one can help me with this

I dont just want a sub for mixing I spend a lot of time just relaxing in my studio listening to music so would be nice to have it for that reason aswell.

Thanks to every one who reads this and I am sorry about the long email and I hope I have explained my self as best I can

Thanks to every one

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

3 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Could someone please help me pick a subwoofer I need to buy from the UK though.... 2010/11/04 01:21:17 (permalink)
    If you are planning on upgrading I would get the cheapest thing and use it for home listening later.  I have no idea what that would be, in the UK or USA, tho.

When you do upgrade I would suggest getting 8 inch woofers - the best you can afford.  I'm partial to Yamahas.  A lot of people like the HS 80s and you can step up to the MPS 7s, which are true music monitors and pretty flat, which is what you want.  And whatever money is left over spend on room treatment, which will even further flatten the sound you hear.  A subwoofer can help add bass, but like speakers it costs money to get quality.  It is probably simpler to go with 6.5 to 8 inches which gets you down into the 40 dB range.  Unless you have a very big and nicely balanced room and lots to spend on speakers, going lower is problematic.  Of course, if you are doing club music or tuba solos, it might be worthwile just to have the volume.

Almost any pro monitor will do, esp. with room treatment.  One has to discover how the monitors translate to other systems, which is a learning process.  The flatter the environment and speakers, the easier this will be.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Could someone please help me pick a subwoofer I need to buy from the UK though.... 2010/11/05 19:34:04 (permalink)
    richer make home speakers which fluff the sound.. get off to a pro audio shop.. e.g. DV or one near you ?

I use missions to test my sound on a home setup.. and they are "ok" to work on tunes.. but not totally flat..

normally it's best to get the one that matches your speakers.. in my case 824's.. but the sub is as much as TWO speakers!!! so forget that.. m-audio and more do them.. you just set the crossover to take the lower end.. them current speakers you can cut the frequency a bit?

the low end.. well I just use z230's .. logitech speakers.. as well.. the low end you have as mono (with no panning).. as some people only have 1 sub in a cabinet .

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/subwoofers/

you want one that's active.. not passive.. thats a given.. and some like the m-audio one have a cut off switch as when ya mixing , most use near fields and higher hz range.. 50+

BretB
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:Could someone please help me pick a subwoofer I need to buy from the UK though.... 2010/11/06 07:33:01 (permalink)
    Most mix without subs.  Invest in a a nice set of headphones to check low end content.  If you need to impress clients, that is another story.

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
    https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1