Finally up and running!

Author
Tozour
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/11/05 03:24:48 (permalink)

Finally up and running!

Its been a long road. I started with an mbox 2 mini with pro tools le. This was about two years ago? Remember, I'm just looking for a way to record my music, and put some demos together. a place to mix tracks and have a nice CD quality level to the recordings I was making. I had originally been very happy with my H2 zoom recorder which did an awesome job, just recording my sessions.

Here's how the whole home recording mess evolved from there:
  • Mbox2 Mini wasn't compatible with my Vista Laptop. No drivers or versions available. I couldn't buy the system.
  • Avid claims that pro tools le and the mbox 2 mini are compatible with Windows 7
  • I buy a new laptop, and the mbox2 mini. Life is looking good, but no...
  • The Pro tools le hardware and the mbox 2 mini, still don't really work with win 7. Avid claims it has to do with the 64 bit nature of the os and that no one should even be messing around with 64 bit operating systems.
  • My mbox2 mini is sitting like a brick in my equipment bag...I decide, to downgrade, and purchase  the maudio fast track. the entry level system. That works great, and Mpowered is a nice software program. Unfortunately, it doesn't like windows 7 either. As soon as I start trying to add tracks, or drum sessions the software fails mid recording, audio drops out. there are crazy error messages. It's completely unstable. Avid also says its because of my hard drive, my operating system, the way I comb my hair...blah blah blah.
  • Avid finally sends another email out maybe six months ago and claims that they have solved the windows 7 problem. I feel alive again. My vigil is over, my mbox2 will finally get a chance to live again and fulfill a long forgotten promise.
  • Guess what? After 5 attempts of trying to install this "upgrade" I quietly put it into my bag and started to think about all the people I hate who needed recording equipment.
  • Luckily, I started to look for something that actually operated in Windows...That's when I found Sonar 7. Checked it out and gave it a chance. At first it worked well with my m-audio interface, but then claimed it didn't recognize it...blah blah blah.
  • Upgraded to Sonar 8.5 and bought a mackie unit to interface with it. However, when I plugged it in, the mackie wasn't recognized by either my windows system or the Sonar program....it was incompatible...blah blah blah....
  • Finally, I broke down in tears like a little girl and walked to the store with my tail between my legs and just submitted. I bought the ua25ex. the interface designed and supported by roland for Sonar Studio. I feel like I've been beaten.
  • Brought the UA interface home. Dropped the driver on my system, plugged it in. started Sonar, a couple of clicks here, there, and voila. It was up and running...
  • I'm really happy with where I am now in the process. But, I guess everyone has to go through some crazy trial by fire as they ramp up their understanding of recording, especially "budget" recording. And, of course, I'm sure there are a lot of you folks that bought all the right stuff and never had a problem. You should go and buy lottery tickets as well, since your lives are charmed.
  • Finally recording! Very happy with Sonar.
Dell Inspiron Laptop 17" i5 Intel Core, 4G DDR3 Ram,1TB HD, Sonar 8.5, Cakewalk UA 25EX Interface.

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1