using speaker with mixer for playing

Author
horus2
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 229
2010/11/09 10:04:22 (permalink)

using speaker with mixer for playing

Is it possible to hook up a mixer(behringer xenyx802) to a 10"pa speaker to use as a substitute smaller PA? Also is it possible to hook this speaker up to a laptop? Trying to go from instrument to mixer to laptop(which I already do), but get louder sound by going from laptop to speaker or mixer to speaker. I want to bypass the sound from the laptop and substitute the speaker.

8 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:using speaker with mixer for playing 2010/11/09 10:10:45 (permalink)
    is it a powered PA speaker?  the output of the mixer is LINE level and requries amplification.  if it's a power PA speaker or if you have an amp between the mixer and the speaker, then yes.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    horus2
    Re:using speaker with mixer for playing 2010/11/09 10:34:37 (permalink)
    By powered you mean there is a knob controlling the volume on the speaker yes? Also is Active another word for powered or is that something different?
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:using speaker with mixer for playing 2010/11/09 10:40:48 (permalink)
    yes, Active or Powered are the same WRT PA speaker.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:using speaker with mixer for playing 2010/11/09 19:10:40 (permalink)
    I recon you could use the mixer in your DAW..... with your sound card output going to a power amp or a powered speaker set up to play.

The DAW gives you levels control....  why not?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    horus2
    Re:using speaker with mixer for playing 2010/11/09 21:17:41 (permalink)
    Uhoh:) What is this DAW you speak of? Could you explain more? and once I understand, I would still need the powered speaker correct?
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:using speaker with mixer for playing 2010/11/10 01:23:59 (permalink)
    If your pa speaker needs to be plugged into a power point to work, then it is active/powered. If not (ie, passive/unpowered), then you need a seperate amplifier to amplify the signal from your mixer to create enough current to power the speaker and make it move.

DAW - Digital Audio Workstation. Eg, SONAR. He is saying you could use your DAW (probably SONAR) to act as a virtual mixer. So you mix everything on your computer instead of your begringer mixer. The soundcard will still only put out a line level so you will still need active speakers OR an amplifier (which accepts the line signal and amplifies the signal to a size large enough to power the speaker) and your passive speaker combination.

An active speaker is simply a passive speaker with an amplifier built in. Active speakers contain their own amplifier, thus they need to be plugged into power to get enough current to run the damn things.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:using speaker with mixer for playing 2010/11/10 09:15:51 (permalink)
    Matt got it right....

The only reason I suggested this was to give another option since you already have this in your laptop...... although, as you will see below, it is NOT the best way to do it.

Use the DAW platform in your laptop with a decent interface...run the interface into a power amp to some speakers OR to a powered speaker system (better option IMHO) however........

I would caution you about using a live DAW setup on stage. Be sure the platform including the OS, the computer, and the DAW software are STABLE... not prone to crashes, freezes, BSOD, and other assorted issues that are simply an inconvenience in a studio/recording situation, but are totally unacceptable in a live performance. Nothing like being halfway through a song performance, when for some unknown reason, the computer decides it's BSOD time and everything shuts down and reboots....

For live performance, if it was me, and I was not playing with a full band... I would opt for tracks on a CD. Send the tracks into a small mixer and then to some powered speakers. Plug in a mic and your guitar and have fun. This sort of system is not very likely to glitch on you. Just keep the CD's clean and protected. This was in fact, the premise of your OP. Small mixer, small speakers. IMHO THIS is the best way to do this.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:using speaker with mixer for playing 2010/11/10 10:47:29 (permalink)
    Horus, do you have just the one PA speaker?
    You won't get stereo.
    And you will actually only hear one side of the mix. You can address this with a mono y-adapter.
    It's far from ideal, but doable.
    Are you, in fact, wanting to use this onstage, or are you just trying to get something louder than a bumblebee?
    A while back, you were looking at external interfaces. Did you ever get one?
    Do you have access to a set of powered PC speakers?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1