Confusion over 64-bit dll locations

Author
Garry Stubbs
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2619
2010/11/13 06:11:06 (permalink)

Confusion over 64-bit dll locations

I am currently rebuilding my DAW to Win7 64-bit with Sonar PE 8.2.2

The base configuration, inlcluding all the new 64-bit drivers for audio interface and MIDI controllers is working sweetly.

However, when it comes to loading the 64-bit versions of Kontakt 4 (from DVD) and Superior Drummer (V2.2.2 update from download from Toontrack) the dll's for both seem to end up in the directory Progam Files (x86)/Cakewalk/Vstplugins which as I know is a directory for 32-bit apps.

Even though at installation I select the 64-bit install, I still get this result. In the case of Kontakt 4, my Sonar VST scan will find it and load it, I suspect I am running a 32-bit version under Bitbridge, but not sure how to verify this. In the case of Superior Drummer 2, again, it will load into a project but not work (no sound). On a second attempt, I did point the install into what I believe to be the correct directory C:Program Files/Cakewalk/Vstplugins but the dll just dropped in without creating a Toontrack subdirectory like it did in the 32-bit directory and although scanned by Sonar it still was the 32-bit non working version.
From searching the forums, I know the 32-bit version of SD2 will not work in Sonar 64-bit and I know its only the 32bit version loading as the 64-bit version reveals itself as so on the SD2 GUI.

So, I am going round in circles a bit here and looking for any clues or help from anyone who has been through the successful 64-bit installation of Kontakt 4 and Superior Drummer 2 64-bit.

Thanks 
post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2010/11/13 06:17:03

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)

4 Replies Related Threads

Mark D.
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 122
    Re:Confusion over 64-bit dll locations 2010/11/17 15:16:31 (permalink)
    I wonder about that too. I had a successful upgrade, to Win 7 64 bit from XP SP3 32 bit. That seems more complicated than
    it needs to be, and additionally, many old songs with 32 bit versions of plugins can't be opened properly. You open and the
    plug-in isn't found, so it tells you this. But you're still screwed. There should be a 'BROWSE' button you can click, to find that
    new .dll location and have it look there for that in the future. Then when done that plug-in loads WITH the settings it had in
    the older 32 bit machine. It doesn't do this, and it pisses me off. It makes it impossible to have a true archive going forward
    should people want to open a bundle, tweak and bounce it out again. That move from 32/XP to 64/Vista, or Win 7 has been
    going on for a while and it's the future and inevitable for most. So why hasn't Cakewalk addressed this after all of this time?
    post edited by Mark D. - 2010/11/17 15:29:38

www.westernmastering.com  Production ... Mixing ... Mastering
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:Confusion over 64-bit dll locations 2010/11/17 16:42:11 (permalink)
    Yes I agree with you Mark, I did complete my DAW rebuild successfully. However the seemingly random placings of DLL's made it a lot more ungainly than it needed to be. I understand that each plug-in vendor will currently structure their installer in a way that works for different DAW's on different OS, but if there was some sort of standard it would encourage folk to upgrade more often, and almost certainly enhance the market for additional plug-in's. I for one keep my plug-in choices to an absolute minimum, one of the reasons being the unwieldly directory structures that end up having to be maintained and navigated just to be able to get musically creative
    post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2010/11/17 16:43:36

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Confusion over 64-bit dll locations 2010/11/17 17:51:40 (permalink)
     I recently switched from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Win7 and also got confused about 64-bit dll folder locations.

In Sonar, from the VST Layout Manager, can you disable your 32-bit versions so you know for sure you're selecting 64-bit? Or leave them disabled but create a custom plug-in list that only shows the 64-bit? I didn't have the exact issues as you so this suggestion may not work for you, but I thought it might address the issue of confustion over whether you're using 32 or 64 bit versions of the plugin.
    whattarush
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:Confusion over 64-bit dll locations 2010/11/19 17:00:13 (permalink)
    I had this same problem. This is what I did to resolve it:
    1. I created a new folder under Program Files> Cakewalk called "Plug-In Menus" then
        copied my old plug-in menu to this folder.
    2. Under Option> Global, I selected "Folders" and pointed the plug-ins to the new folder.
    3. Next while still in the Global edit screen I went to VST Plug-Ins and selected "reset VST Plug-Ins" then "re-scan VST Plug-Ins"

Try that and see if that helps!!!

"When your moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star"!!! www.elmarqrecords.com/ www.reverbnation.com/label/elmarqrecordsllc" www.facebook.com/pages/ElMarq-Records/160103362281 "Never look down on anyone UNLESS you're picking them up!"
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1