Win7 - Boot problems with video

Author
fwrend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 709
2010/11/13 12:19:03 (permalink)

Win7 - Boot problems with video

Since loading Win7/64 I have to go through a routine getting my computer to boot.

First boot - no video signal -> manual shutdown holding power button in util comp shuts down -> unplug the DVI connection -> plug it back in -> boot computer back up -> voila - boots fine????

nVidea 7300GT - someone said something about needing to move up into the 8000 series cards with Win7.

Can anyone confirm this or have other ideas?

9 Replies Related Threads

IronSound
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re:Win7 - Boot problems with video 2010/11/13 13:19:48 (permalink)
           Hello... So a few more question here to help understand your problem...

1) Do you see the Bios or the Computer Splash screen at all? or does the screen stay blank during a powerup? Windows software has nothing to do with this portion of the normal computer start up or Boot...

2) Are you familar with... getting into... and adjusting settings in your BIOS?

3) A computer will boot to "windows" without a computer monitor on... Do you feel you are in windows but have no video displayed?

4) What is the status light conditions of your computer monitor during startup?... "Boot process?" a green light indicates a video signal being recieved by the monitor... amber no signal... Does status change back and forth...etc? 
    fwrend
    Re:Win7 - Boot problems with video 2010/11/13 13:23:05 (permalink)
    Hi IS

1) No, monitor tries to detect analog or digital source then goes back to blinking power light as it does at rest
    2) Yes, I am
    3) Hard to tell - it very well may because it takes a moment for it to power down when the button is held - typically if it isn't in Windows, it powers down much quicker IIRC
    4) My light is blue and either solid or blinking (see #1)
    IronSound
    Re:Win7 - Boot problems with video 2010/11/13 13:29:15 (permalink)
        Hello...

Ok... if you do not see a Bios startup or Spash Screen is this normal? shut off in the bios? or is it normal to see this?
    post edited by IronSound - 2010/11/13 13:31:12
    fwrend
    Re:Win7 - Boot problems with video 2010/11/13 13:34:18 (permalink)
    No, it's not normal but again I'm not getting a video feed so I don't see these.  Yes - I always have the ability to enter Configuration (I+Ctrl) and Bios (F2).
    IronSound
    Re:Win7 - Boot problems with video 2010/11/13 13:43:22 (permalink)
       Hello...

Ok... so you do see the motherboard BIOS screen every time you start your computer? but then a loss of signal to monitor after the Bios start up screen? with this problem?
    fwrend
    Re:Win7 - Boot problems with video 2010/11/13 13:47:26 (permalink)
    No, you're confusing the problem as stated in OP.  The normal process is for the mointor to detect a signal and then show the boot process.  Since loading Win7, the monitor never detects a signal and therefore doesn't show anything and reverts to hybernation.

EDIT: or I didn't explain it well enough in OP
    post edited by fwrend - 2010/11/13 13:48:40
    IronSound
    Re:Win7 - Boot problems with video 2010/11/13 14:09:39 (permalink)
        Hello...

Ok... so you never see a BIOS start up screen... and never get monitor signal verification either, during power up... with this problem.

Well Windows has no control of the BIOS at startup to your motherboard... no software is loaded into your RAM memory... RAM memory is cleared at powerdown... start up is controled by your Hardware and BIOS settings only!!!

Un-Plug your computer from the wall too determine if your power supply/computer/RAM/motherboard is fully powering down... suggest 3-5 minutes.  

Since you are un-plugging and plugging in your cable to your graphics card? and getting good results... I would suggest trying a different or new cable... or removing the video card... alcohol clean the connector pins... and reseating the video card...

If you don't have a BIOS boot screen... then something in the hardware is not allowing the motherboard to continue to the video part of the boot sequence... sometimes a beep sequence will tell you what is missing ( do you have your case motherboard speaker hooked up? )... and tell you where in the sequence... the Bios failed to continue.  

Now you mentioned Hybernation... well yes there are many problems with certain motherboard Mftr BIOS... with the WIN7 return from hibernation mode? But this is not a computer Boot problem... This is a Return from Hybernation problem... is this what you are experiencing?

Other hardware problems that would cause a motherboard not to Boot would be...

1) A system or CPU fan not being detected by the motherboard... are fans turning?

2) Ram memory not being detected... or timing setting are not correct... start system with 1 stick of memory to explore. 

3) Another hardware card could be bad... remove all cards and boot with just video card to explore.

4) Video card could be intermittant... Do you have another video card to swap out? 

5) Video cable could have a bad pin... Do you have another cable to swap out?  

6) There are multi-power connections to the motherboard... check re-seat connections. 
    post edited by IronSound - 2010/11/15 13:19:12
    fwrend
    Re:Win7 - Boot problems with video 2010/11/13 14:43:20 (permalink)
    :-) I knew hibernation wasn't a good term to use.  That is just as it applies to the monitor not the system.  If the power of the monitor is on and there is no signal, the blue light flashes.  This is all I was referring to.

I'll try your suggestions - thanks!!
    RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Win7 - Boot problems with video 2010/11/13 15:08:01 (permalink)
    Windows 7 might be using a video resolution that is not supported by the video adapter or monitor. You might want to use Safe Mode to boot into low res mode and check your settings. BTW, use F8 for safe mode.

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1