Can I get away with 1 overhead mic/ AT3035?

Author
vmf007
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 145
2010/11/14 23:29:06 (permalink)

Can I get away with 1 overhead mic/ AT3035?

Was wondering if one could get away with one overhead mic the AT3035 because I already own one for my vocal tracks.  instead of 2 overheads like most traditional home studios have? And the other dinamic mics would go in their respective places, kick, snare etc.

Lenovo Thinkcentre E6550, i3 Processor, 6GB Ram, 1TB HD, SPEX1/AT3035/ATH M30/M-Audio Bx8/

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/victormfloresmusic.htm

Jesus Saves!!!

14 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Can I get away with 1 overhead mic/ AT3035? 2010/11/15 07:15:03 (permalink)
    Sure a single overhead is fine.

If you really want to make the best of it... use the string method to place the overhead equidistant between the center of the snare and kick.

Recorderman did a book report about the technique... you can look it up on the net as "recorderman" technique.

best regards,
    mike

vmf007
    Re:Can I get away with 1 overhead mic/ AT3035? 2010/11/15 08:09:20 (permalink)
    Thanks friend, I'll look into that article.

Lenovo Thinkcentre E6550, i3 Processor, 6GB Ram, 1TB HD, SPEX1/AT3035/ATH M30/M-Audio Bx8/

Jesus Saves!!!
    vmf007
    Re:Can I get away with 1 overhead mic/ AT3035? 2010/11/15 10:33:39 (permalink)
    According to the youtube video, it uses two overheads. The articles I found in written form describe the process with two mics. Also found an article saying in order to use one mic, place it in front of the drum set 3 feet in the air, and move around until you get the best sound. Guess I can do this till I can afford a second Condenser Mic.

Jesus Saves!!!
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Can I get away with 1 overhead mic/ AT3035? 2010/11/15 10:41:42 (permalink)
    I was refering to the string method of locating your mic so that  both the kick and snare are equidistant.

You can use that method with either 1 mic or 2 mics.

The string method is intended to help keep the kick and snare aligned in the OH when you blend it with the tracks of the direct mics that are placed near the respective kick and snare heads.

It is a way to predict that you will find a good natural sound... and you can use the string method while moving the mics around a bit to find something by ear... because it doesn't direct to an exact place but rather a range of locations that you can choose from.

Have fun.

best regards,
    mike

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Can I get away with 1 overhead mic/ AT3035? 2010/11/15 11:02:36 (permalink)
    Nothing wrong w/ using one mic and it solves a lot of phase issues, esp. for a beginner.  Learn to get a good sound out of it, and as you add stereo and close mics you'll be all primed to listen.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    vmf007
    Re:Can I get away with 1 overhead mic/ AT3035? 2010/11/15 11:47:07 (permalink)
    Thanks guys!!!

Jesus Saves!!!
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Can I get away with 1 overhead mic/ AT3035? 2010/11/15 13:52:41 (permalink)
    I backed off of stereo OH mics on live drums about two years ago....I go with a mono OH most of the time now.

I haven't had a single complaint from a drummer yet.

Fewer phase issues.  Punchier.  Seems more focused.

I do, however, usually use stereo mics in the room.  But not always.  You'll get plenty of stereo spread from the close mics on toms and all that.

I'm a big fan of a mono OH!

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Can I get away with 1 overhead mic/ AT3035? 2010/11/15 15:39:51 (permalink)
    Moving a good quality (mono) condenser over the top of the drum kit is a good idea. Think of it like this. When the OH is directly over the top, it is a thinner sound and has a slight snare focus. It is a toppier sound there. Adding close miked snare parts in will have a strong effect when you start reversing phase of the close snare mike. (and varying level of course)

The OH out front of the kit up slightly high and looking down at the kick has this more rounded sound that has a deeper feel because you are starting to hear the kick now. Also the snare is fading a bit out there. Close miked kick tracks will react now more with phase reversals etc. More room sound around the drums now too.

As a drummer we get a bit of the kick (acoustically) because we are sitting back a bit and can see the kick head so we hear it a bit more. Overheads that are directly over the snare are not always ideal because that sound is missing a bit of the kick wollop as it is going out front and back horizontally a bit more.

When miking out front and little further away take note of that distance as it is important. It may translate to 6ms or more and you may want to shift the OH track back by that amount and have a listen to see how it compares with all the close sounds. (try moving it the other way too) If you have got a nice room then the outfront kit sound will most often be good.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    vmf007
    Re:Can I get away with 1 overhead mic/ AT3035? 2010/11/15 19:07:57 (permalink)
    Great stuff guys, I got my work cut out for my self :)

Jesus Saves!!!
    GHOSTNOTES
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 210
    Re:Can I get away with 1 overhead mic/ AT3035? 2010/11/27 10:07:51 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

Moving a good quality (mono) condenser over the top of the drum kit is a good idea. Think of it like this. When the OH is directly over the top, it is a thinner sound and has a slight snare focus. It is a toppier sound there. Adding close miked snare parts in will have a strong effect when you start reversing phase of the close snare mike. (and varying level of course)

The OH out front of the kit up slightly high and looking down at the kick has this more rounded sound that has a deeper feel because you are starting to hear the kick now. Also the snare is fading a bit out there. Close miked kick tracks will react now more with phase reversals etc. More room sound around the drums now too.

As a drummer we get a bit of the kick (acoustically) because we are sitting back a bit and can see the kick head so we hear it a bit more. Overheads that are directly over the snare are not always ideal because that sound is missing a bit of the kick wollop as it is going out front and back horizontally a bit more.

When miking out front and little further away take note of that distance as it is important. It may translate to 6ms or more and you may want to shift the OH track back by that amount and have a listen to see how it compares with all the close sounds. (try moving it the other way too) If you have got a nice room then the outfront kit sound will most often be good.

It's funny
    I was having problems with my single overhead only to realize it was too far away, it took me about a week to realize it was picking up a few milliseconds later almost causing a reverb effect. I actually use a single overhead choir mic(don't laugh) it actually works quite well....at least for me. I use it to tighten up the low end and add snare brightness

Equipment:
    Sonar
    MSI Z170A Titanium Gaming motherborad
    Intel i7-6800K
    32Gb DDR4 3400
    6X1TB Samsung SSD
    EVGA 1080 Graphics
    Alesis IO-26
    PreSonus DigiMAX D8
    http://www.myspace.com/peartfan1
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Can I get away with 1 overhead mic/ AT3035? 2010/11/28 14:11:31 (permalink)
    I miss my old set up at the studio where I would be in the control room with almost zero leakage. You could then have an assistant move the mikes around while listening.
    jimmyrage
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:Can I get away with 1 overhead mic/ AT3035? 2010/11/28 17:58:16 (permalink)
    I got kinda curious after reading some of the post and started experimenting a little with different single overhead setups. I've used a single overhead live for years but for recording I've always used a matched pair, usually a XY pattern.  One setup that I liked was sort of a recordermans method ( didn't measure the kick drum distance ) with a single condenser In front,  kind of like what Jeff was talking about except lower and far enough back to point at the kick and snare. Almost like a single room mic but not as far back. It has the delay effect Ghostnotes mentioned but sounds pretty cool if you compress it and just mix in a little with the rest of the kit. You can always nudge it back some.
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Can I get away with 1 overhead mic/ AT3035? 2010/11/30 01:31:11 (permalink)
    I'm not a fan of "nudging".

The minute you nudge to fix one problem, you'll get phase issues elsewhere.

I think you gotta get all that right from the beginning.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    GHOSTNOTES
    • Total Posts : 210
    Re:Can I get away with 1 overhead mic/ AT3035? 2010/12/02 20:00:53 (permalink)
    jimmyrage

I got kinda curious after reading some of the post and started experimenting a little with different single overhead setups. I've used a single overhead live for years but for recording I've always used a matched pair, usually a XY pattern.  One setup that I liked was sort of a recordermans method ( didn't measure the kick drum distance ) with a single condenser In front,  kind of like what Jeff was talking about except lower and far enough back to point at the kick and snare. Almost like a single room mic but not as far back. It has the delay effect Ghostnotes mentioned but sounds pretty cool if you compress it and just mix in a little with the rest of the kit. You can always nudge it back some.

I might try that this weekend

Equipment:
    Sonar
    MSI Z170A Titanium Gaming motherborad
    Intel i7-6800K
    32Gb DDR4 3400
    6X1TB Samsung SSD
    EVGA 1080 Graphics
    Alesis IO-26
    PreSonus DigiMAX D8
    http://www.myspace.com/peartfan1
    Jump to: