Printing screen shots from Sonar?

Author
cloudhop
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 66
2010/11/17 11:55:21 (permalink)

Printing screen shots from Sonar?

Is it possible to print a screen shot of Sonar say from the Tempo Map?
I need to do this to re-draw my variable Tempo Map from 100% time to 200% time.
I tried all suggestions/methods  from the forum to stretch the Tempo Map with no result so I am left to physicaly re-draw it. I'm only dealing with midi at the moment. This is why a print out of the original Tempo map would help. So far I see the only way to print is via the Staff page.
failing everything else (which is what I expect) I would have to resort to digital photos of the screen itself...not good.

7 Replies Related Threads

jungfriend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 746
    Re:Printing screen shots from Sonar? 2010/11/17 14:44:44 (permalink)
    On my computer (WinXP) you just press the Print Screen button when you have the Tempo map on the monitor, and then open up Microsoft Paint. Then right click on the canvas (the large white box to the right of paint icons) and select paste from the drop down menu. Save as .jpg or .bmp, and modify or print.

Like this:

Hope that helps,
    Paul  
    post edited by jungfriend - 2010/11/17 14:54:43

Sonar X2 PE, ADK Core i7 920 3.6ghz 12gb, UAD-2 Quad,  2x20"+2x19" LCDs, Focal CMS 50, POD HD500, Layla 3G, PoCo mkII PCI-e, Tranzport, Edirol M-16DX, Remote SL61, Mackie MCU, NI Kore 2, NI Komplete, NI Maschine, etc.
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Printing screen shots from Sonar? 2010/11/17 15:00:34 (permalink)
    I tried all suggestions/methods  from the forum to stretch the Tempo Map with no result so I am left to physicaly re-draw it.

Jim, I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to make my workaround work for you. Although it's a little awkward, no doubt, it's definitely easier than the brute force method you are contemplating now.

I'm thinking maybe you could send me a MIDI file with the tempo map in it, tell me where the project ends (in SMPTE time), and I can do the conversion for you, and send it back. Then you should be able to copy-paste the new tempo map into your project.

Or I can try to walk you through it, if you tell me where you're getting stuck.

PM me if you want an e-mail address to send MIDI. I think even an otherwise empty MIDI track will include the tempo map.

19 frets
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re:Printing screen shots from Sonar? 2010/11/17 15:25:10 (permalink)
    cloudhop

Is it possible to print a screen shot of Sonar say from the Tempo Map?
    I need to do this to re-draw my variable Tempo Map from 100% time to 200% time.
    I tried all suggestions/methods  from the forum to stretch the Tempo Map with no result so I am left to physicaly re-draw it. I'm only dealing with midi at the moment. This is why a print out of the original Tempo map would help. So far I see the only way to print is via the Staff page.
    failing everything else (which is what I expect) I would have to resort to digital photos of the screen itself...not good.

brundlefly's method is a good one, but sometimes when I can't get my head around the math, I just take all the tempo changes in a piece and key them into a column in an Excel spreadsheet.  Then I apply a formula like =(A1 * 1.10) into the adjacent cell for the first tempo entry and just drag the foumula down the page in the second column and let Excel calculate all the new tempo values.

This particular formula will yield an across the board 10% increase in tempo for a song with varying tempo changes.  Just change the second value in the formula to the increase/decrease you need.  For example, in your case, just use the value of 2.00 to yield a doubling of the corresponding tempo entries.  This is particularly usefull for me when I need to make a number of different versions of an ensemble piece for my group to rehearse by until we get up to tempo on a new piece.

Not the most elegant way, but one I can deal with and understand.  Once you key the values into the spreadsheet, you can adjust it very easily to any tempo.  Of course then you have to go through and manually edit each entry in the tempo map to insert the new tempo values.  Don't know whether this will apply to your situation or not, but thought I would share it just in case.  Best of luck finding a solution to your problem. 
    post edited by 19 frets - 2010/11/17 15:30:45

19 frets
    Sonar Platinum; Win 7 Ultimate; Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 w/Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 Mhz CPU; 32 GB Ram: 1 TB int. WD drive: 2 TB ext. Seagate Goflex USB drive; RME UFX interface; .... and "Rusty Knobs" my faithful studio engineer (Yellow Lab)
    brundlefly
    Re:Printing screen shots from Sonar? 2010/11/17 15:35:44 (permalink)
    just press the Print Screen button when you have the Tempo map on the monitor

Just FYI - Alt-PrintScreen will give you just that Tempo window, and if set the pane splitter first, you can get this:

cloudhop
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 66
    Re:Printing screen shots from Sonar? 2010/11/18 10:43:39 (permalink)
    I'm really very pleased at the help here..thanks so much for your efforts...I'll re-post shortly about the problem
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Printing screen shots from Sonar? 2010/11/18 10:56:49 (permalink)
    Wonder why that is that sometimes Alt -print screen will capture the top most open window, and other times the whole desktop? One other thing is if you try and include a drop down menu the instant you press Alt it will close.
    brundlefly
    Re:Printing screen shots from Sonar? 2010/11/18 14:32:51 (permalink)
    johnnyV

Wonder why that is that sometimes Alt -print screen will capture the top most open window, and other times the whole desktop? One other thing is if you try and include a drop down menu the instant you press Alt it will close.

Forgot to mention: You'll need to float-enable the window first.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1