Creating manual midi tracks

Author
Ymir
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2010/11/17 14:11:47 (permalink)

Creating manual midi tracks

Hi,

I want to create a 4 bar midi track. In that track I will edit it using the piano roll view to manually create a 4 bar drum track. Then I will repeat the drum track as needed.

I can do this very easily in Cubase, but I'm new to Sonar, and I'm not sure where to begin.

I do know how to add an synth track and assign a vst instrument.

Thanks

3 Replies Related Threads

bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    Re:Creating manual midi tracks 2010/11/17 15:49:47 (permalink)
    Several ways to do this in Sonar. In PRV or Staff view, select the pencil tool, select the note value (quarter, eighth, etc.) and point and click on the grid or staff. Having the Snap-to-grid feature turned on will help with accuracy. Another way is use the Step Entry method where you can play in the notes. You can also use the Step Sequencer to create drum patterns.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Creating manual midi tracks 2010/11/17 19:03:06 (permalink)
    Hey Ymir,  are you from the same town name near Salmo BC ?  My sister lives there.
    Do you have a MIDI controller( keyboard)
    I find it much faster to just arm a MIDI track, set the metronome, and bang the beat out live. Quantize , Then I go in to piano view and edit. Just another way of working. I can never visualize what the beat I want looks like in there so takes me forever drawing with the pencil tool. I've used Cubase LE and I really like it for MIDI editing and at first Sonar seems inferior but in the end both are just different.
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Creating manual midi tracks 2010/11/17 20:58:55 (permalink)
    "...Quantize..." - or not.  The next step, editing in Piano Roll View with the Grid off can get your track fixed up so it's not sloppy (if it was in the first place) but you can keep it sounding like music instead of old school drum machine perfect.  Just use the selection tool and nudge the notes closer to the money.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1