Basic Questions

Author
konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
2010/11/17 20:30:51 (permalink)

Basic Questions

For quite a while, I have used an older version of Sonar (2.1) to sequence MIDI tracks and to run RealGuitar plug ins while recording audio on an external digital recorder.  The output of the MIDI controlled keyboards/modules went to the external recorder along with RealGuitar.  Vocals and other instruments were overdubbed to the external recorder as in any traditional studio.

The external recorder is quite dated (VS1680) and I want to go to a new DAW: either the latest version of Sonar on a much more powerful PC--or possibly Pro Tools.

As basic as this sounds, I don't really understand how the sequenced MIDI machines would be recorded as audio.  Would I be sending MIDI messages from the DAW to the modules and then have the audio returning from the MIDI machines into the interface to be recorded in the DAW?  If so, does that present complications or timing issues?  (Although this is a Sonar forum, I have to wonder if Pro Tools works the same way.)

One other question: I have a hardware TC Helicon Voiceworks Plus and I am very pleased with it.  Is there a software plug-in (e.g., Antares) compatible with Sonar?

I am strongly leaning towards Sonar because I have used it since it was Cakewalk on a primitive version of Windows.  I feel comfortable with its general interface.

Audio quality is top priority, but I would think that would be more a function of interfaces and cards than of the software itself.

MACs are great but expensive for what they are. 

Thanks for any help or information.

The Mighty Konrad

6 Replies Related Threads

RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Basic Questions 2010/11/17 22:20:35 (permalink)
    konradh

As basic as this sounds, I don't really understand how the sequenced MIDI machines would be recorded as audio.  Would I be sending MIDI messages from the DAW to the modules and then have the audio returning from the MIDI machines into the interface to be recorded in the DAW?  If so, does that present complications or timing issues?  

Yes, you answered your own question on this one. In Sonar, while your MIDI track is controlling your external hardware synth, you'll have a separate audio track armed to record the audio from the external synth. Then, when you play your project, your synth part is recorded. 

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Basic Questions 2010/11/17 22:21:43 (permalink)
    Would I be sending MIDI messages from the DAW to the modules and then have the audio returning from the MIDI machines into the interface to be recorded in the DAW?  If so, does that present complications or timing issues?

Yes, that's exactly what you do. Sonar does automatic latency compensation to take care of audio latency. The MIDI transmission and response delays will be no worse than you were already subject to with your previous setup. They can be compensated for as well, but it's hardly worth the trouble. The MIDI delay is on the order of 3-6ms, depending on the MIDI interface and synth.
    konradh
    Re:Basic Questions 2010/11/18 13:45:23 (permalink)
    Much appreciated.  Although many will disagree, I have not been unhappy with the sound quality of the VS-1680.  If I cut a track that sounds bad, it is usually due to mastering more than tracking (or poor EQ on my part).

For using Sonar, any recommendations on hardware (e.g., interfaces, control surfaces, etc.)?  As a point of reference, the VS1680 does not have enough inputs for me and it is lacking in send/return options.  An ideal set-up with have a few send/returns, as well as in/outs for each channel strip for in-line effects.
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Basic Questions 2010/11/18 14:27:49 (permalink)
    For using Sonar, any recommendations on hardware (e.g., interfaces, control surfaces, etc.)?

Too many to choose from, and it depends greatly on you budget. I recommend you research feature sets in your price range on a site like Sweetwater or Musician's Friend, and then google some model numbers and keywords (like latency, pops crackles, crash, etc. ) against site:forum.cakewalk.com to see what forum members have to say about them.

Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re:Basic Questions 2010/11/18 17:58:02 (permalink)
    You might want to re think the way you record. I just have gone through a similar situation myself having not wanting to let go of my old digital 8 track ( Yamaha MD8) it makes excellent recordings etc. I was like you only using my PC as a MIDI slave using MMC to play through my varied sound modules I have kicking around.
    My problem was every time I tried to use ( at the time Guitar Studio) for full recording it was out of sync and sounded terrible. This of course was my own fault and not the software.
    A year ago I decided to dive in and it took about 6 months to get comfortable with using a DAW.
    What I had to do is learn to use the DAW and all it's features 100% and forget about all my outboard gear for now. Learn to use what's built in. The soft syths and EFX are way better than any of my old modules. You can then decide to return to using some of the outboard gear latter, but your probably won't.
    In the end about the only outboard gear I'm still using is a Mixer.
    So look for a good interface that has the amount of inputs you need by reading the forums. Go to the hardware forum here for some excellent advise. Gear sluts is another. Good luck.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

konradh
    Re:Basic Questions 2010/11/18 22:18:19 (permalink)
    Thanks, guys.

Hey, Cactus.  I would actually be happy going to 100% virtual instruments, especially if I could get enough power out of a laptop.  Problem is that a lot of folks say that  going with all VIs is more load than most machines can handle.

If I could make it work, having all the rhythm section plus orchestra on board as VIs would allow me a lot more freedom choosing where I work.

By the way, I think your website is spelled wrong in your signature line.  Didn't want you to miss any hits.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1