General Questions/Fears About Upgrade Leap!

Author
Quill
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
2010/11/18 15:19:21 (permalink)

General Questions/Fears About Upgrade Leap!

Hi all...

I am a S7 Pro user, and this new X1 deal has me trying to get past my terrible phobia about "breaking something that ain't broke".

I want to upgrade to 8.5 pro and get the x1 pro. My system is compatible, etc.  My fear is about plug ins, both Cakewalk and others (IK, NI, and a few others)

Can you guys either give me a "Man, go on and DO it already!", or a "Yeah, you have every right to be a big chicken.... its gonna be a freakin' nightmare" affirmation?

Specifically, what happens,when I install 8.5, to all of the xtras that came with S7 Pro? Will 8.5 find everything ok? Will I end up with 2 versions of Sonar xtras like LP64 and Dimension Pro and such, or is the install smart enough to help protect me from the dreaded clutter monsters?

I am so into the Pro strip idea that it is worth a moderate amount of backside pain, as I am an old dude and the console strip concept takes me back to the old days.

I look forward to all of your help and opinions and stories.  I use this board infrequently, but am always impressed with everyone's knowledge and assistance.

Thanks

Q

5 Replies Related Threads

kevo
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1038
    Re:General Questions/Fears About Upgrade Leap! 2010/11/18 15:41:13 (permalink)
    Not sure what your afraid of.

Do a HD image, then install Sonar X1. If you didn't like it, simply restore your drive.

Simple.

You can use acronis true image, or norton ghost to do drive images.

So if you're looking for an "Atta Boy!" 
    ATTA BOY!  Go For It! :)

kevo
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1038
    Re:General Questions/Fears About Upgrade Leap! 2010/11/18 15:43:03 (permalink)
    not sure what happened.  Had a duplicate post.
    post edited by kevo - 2010/11/18 16:15:10
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:General Questions/Fears About Upgrade Leap! 2010/11/18 15:48:10 (permalink)
    Your previous version of SOnar are still on your hard drive an you don't need to unistall earlier versions.  The newer one will "find" your older plug-ins, too.

I've never had a problem w/ upgrading SONAR - I think I have 2 or 3 on my music computer.  So, just do it.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:General Questions/Fears About Upgrade Leap! 2010/11/18 15:51:02 (permalink)
    The other thing you can do is not uninstall any previous version(I have from 7 on still installed on my system).  I will still use an older version occasionally when there are some old plugins that I used and will fire it up and bounce the tracks that used it and then reopen in Sonar 8.5 64bit.  It just saves some mucking around sometimes. The new plugins with the upgrade versions (Dim pro, True pianos for example) will use up a fair amount of space but the Sonar program itself is not that space intense. 

The new X1 looks great for work flow improvements so I think it should be well worth it to make the plunge.
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:General Questions/Fears About Upgrade Leap! 2010/11/18 16:32:20 (permalink)
    Go for it Q.

Until I upgraded to 64-bit last week I had S7PE, S8PE and S8.5PE on my DAW, on the 64-bit system I have a 32-bit S8PE and 64-bit S8.5PE, in three weeks X1 is gonna be there too.

So you CAN have your 'Cake' and eat it !

Garry Kiosk

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1