Behringer monitors, any A/B comparisons?

Author
MemphisJo
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 594
2010/11/18 22:13:44 (permalink)

Behringer monitors, any A/B comparisons?

Isn't it great how Behringer has managed to copy 3 brands of monitors (in both looks and sound)?
Essentially the 10xx's are designed to sound like KRK rokits, the 20xx series to mimic Mackie and the newer 30xx's are modeled around the Adam A5's (stupid question - I guess Behringer did)!
Has anyone actually managed to A/B these speakers at all to see how close Behringer got?
Of course there is always the reliability issue even if they nailed the sound.
One could affordably buy all three Behringer models and potentially have it all (albeit one would probably just get totally confused switching from one to another)!  

Personally I'm on the fence right now between Tannoy Reveal 601a's, HS50m's or KRK Rokit 6's....
..... I'm procrastinating because what I really want is the KRK VXT6's
Guess I should just step up to the plate. 
post edited by MemphisJo - 2010/11/18 22:29:10

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

4 Replies Related Threads

Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Behringer monitors, any A/B comparisons? 2010/11/19 02:25:32 (permalink)
    I'd really hope you would reconsider on the KRK's...especially with the VXT's.

I had some personal experience with them. My first pair of dedicated monitors were the RP5's. I struggled to mix on them...but they sounded good for listening to music. Looking back, they had smooth highs, but the mid's were smeared...and I could never get enough resolution to make good mix choices. I then found how crappy the resale was on them when I sold them to upgrade!

I wanted to keep it in the family, so I upgraded to the KRK V8 series one. Now the V-series are a whole other animal...Focal drivers, made in USA...They were great monitors! Resolution compared to the rockits wasn't even a contest...I would wholeheartedly reccomend you consider the V6 or V8's...they can be had probably less than any of the pairs in your list used.

So here comes the other thing...

I decided to downsize my monitors, and sold the V8's (now on those, I made $ selling them). I got in on a good deal for Yamaha MSP7's. They are in a whole different league, and are full on professional mixing monitors....I digress

I also got a deal on a pair of KRK VXT4's...I bought a pair for about $60 to flip. One worked perfect, the other cut-out intermittantly. I looked into it, the amp could only be purchased as a unit for $200 from KRK...and I had to ship them the monitor. Since these were going for $400+ new street price, it seemed pretty safe. I eventually decided to just flip them for a small profit and not bother with the whole KRK thing. I did some research and found the VXT's are plagued with a widespread problem with the amps...and most common in the VXT6's I may add! Long-story short, I had to sell the pair evenually for just under $100...

That is some terrible depreciation from new!

I guess where I'm going with this, is I'd shoot higher and look at the resale on whatever you pick, because you'll probably upgrade at some point. Don't get fooled into thinking monitors need to sound good to make good mixes; you want honesty!

Some of the better low-cost monitors are the Yamaha HS50/80, Yamaha MSP5's, KRK v-series, Event Precision 8's. I would also look used in your price range to get more for your money. When you get in the $500-700 monitor range new, you can't do much better until you spend MUCH more.

It's a tool; an important one. Trust me, you won't know the limitations of your monitors until you get them in your room and mix with them for several weeks. If you find they don't meet your needs a few weeks down the road you will NOT be happy!

PS: sorry for the long reply...I'm chatty today.

post edited by Ron Vogel - 2010/11/19 02:26:45

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Behringer monitors, any A/B comparisons? 2010/11/19 04:20:44 (permalink)
    Although I have not done any direct comparisons with the models you have mentioned I have compared Mackie HR 824's with Behringer 'Truth' monitors. There was a fairly serious difference especially in the bootm end. The Behringer was vague and coloured down there and not that detailed or accurate. I know the Mackies are not perfect in the bottom end either but they are a darn sight more accurate though. So there is not much truth in 'Truth'. They are affordable and that is their intention and they do it well for the money.

I would also be looking into other options as I have read some great reviews lately of other monitors that have sounded excellent. Your monitors are fairly important and warrant a fair bit of attention on them. You need to go into some stores where they are all setup armed with some known reference CD's and see how they all stack up.

One thing I have found out lately is that putting your monitors on proper speaker stands makes a BIG difference. As much as the monitors themselves. I am about to invest into two concrete stands that are so heavy each one is only a barely two person lift. But they are going to make my Mackies sound fantastic though. You need to get your monuitors OFF the same table as your mixer and other equipment. It is just so important.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re:Behringer monitors, any A/B comparisons? 2010/11/19 12:52:48 (permalink)
    I'm sad to hear that the KRK vxt6 has a potential reliability issue.

Good stuff, thanks for your input guys.

I've had good monitors in the past, Event 20/20's on good stands in a well treated room with a great old Hafler power amp (before they manufactured in Asia), but they were way too powerful for that small room and my mixes didn't translate well at all.
    the old Adam A7's can be had for 800 a pair right now (factory re sealed) and with a promised 20% off anything I purchase from my retailer that would only be a $640 pair.

I heard great things from a pro who swears she can do a mix (at a pinch) on a pair of VXT4's in a small well treated room, but they are so small! I considered them (with the KRK sub) also.
    When I heard the vxt6's I was stuck by their tight bass and detailed highs even at low volume. Ron... you've got me woried about KRK now!!

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Behringer monitors, any A/B comparisons? 2010/11/19 14:10:34 (permalink)
    MemphisJo

Isn't it great how Behringer has managed to copy 3 brands of monitors (in both looks and sound)?
    Essentially the 10xx's are designed to sound like KRK rokits, the 20xx series to mimic Mackie and the newer 30xx's are modeled around the Adam A5's (stupid question - I guess Behringer did)!
    Has anyone actually managed to A/B these speakers at all to see how close Behringer got?
    Of course there is always the reliability issue even if they nailed the sound.
    One could affordably buy all three Behringer models and potentially have it all (albeit one would probably just get totally confused switching from one to another)!  

Personally I'm on the fence right now between Tannoy Reveal 601a's, HS50m's or KRK Rokit 6's....
    ..... I'm procrastinating because what I really want is the KRK VXT6's
    Guess I should just step up to the plate. 

I compared the Mackie and Behringer of the same size at banjo center. The Mackie monitors were better and Adam a better still. However, I the Adam's sounded a little fake to me maybe too much detail and harsh in the high end.  I liked the Mackies best for mixing but couldn't hear the difference in price. They sounded a hundred dollars better but not a thousand dollars better. 

I ended up getting the Behringer B2031A monitors and every mix I've done has sounded as expected in the car and on other stereos.  I was really shocked how well the mix translated to other systems, first time in my life I haven't had to go through a bunch of remixes. 

If I ever have a bunch of money to blow I'll get the Mackies just to have them. But for functionality the B2031As get the job done.
    post edited by ohhey - 2010/11/19 14:12:06
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1