MC5 + asio4all

Author
jodoti
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2010/11/19 03:42:28 (permalink)

MC5 + asio4all

Hi,
The standard for MC5 seems MME32 as audio driver.
When I choose for asio4all as driver I have some problems.
Sometimes there is no output audio signal.
A connected microphone gives a lot of noise and a very weak sound.
I'm using a realtek high definition soundcard and basicaly the MME32 driver works very good, but the standalone synths working the best on asio drivers. I,m not always using MC5 therefor I,m using these asio for the standalone synths.
I prefer to use all over these asio drivers in the standalone synths and in MC5.
But it gives some problems.
What I,m doing wrong or has anyone a solution.

regards
jodoti

7 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:MC5 + asio4all 2010/11/19 07:55:48 (permalink)
    The driver you use depends on the sound card.

Most of the factory sound cards do not work with the ASIO drivers, and as you figured out, the MME drivers do work ok. However the MME drivers allow latency when working with soft synths that is often unacceptable and unavoidable.

At times, using ASIO4ALL will allow the combination of drivers, synths and sound card to work better and therefore gives a better experience.

It is currently best to use ASIO for your sound drivers with an audio card that supports the ASIO drivers. By purchasing an interface that uses ASIO drivers, the latency and other issues that are experienced with the "lesser cards and drivers" will go away, and the experience becomes a pleasure to work with.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:MC5 + asio4all 2010/11/19 08:59:33 (permalink)
    try WASAPI if it is available instead.

best solution, tho, is to get a "recording soundcard"

see my website for some recommendations.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:MC5 + asio4all 2010/11/19 13:25:59 (permalink)
    That avatar is Dog gone scary!  Oh and just so you know beagle loves to say WASAPI!

AS a reference also ASIO4All is not really ASIO, it is MME drivers wrapped to act like ASIO. What herbie and Beagledawg are saying is true, a good recording interface or sound card will be your best friend.  

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    fendr1320
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:MC5 + asio4all 2010/11/20 12:08:46 (permalink)
    I'm in a similar boat. I used to have my recording setup pretty dialed in on my last desktop, but now I'm running an Acer with Vista and I'm having trouble with what I believe must be latency. Recording audio results in the waveform being slightly later than the metronome on playback, which I can drag forward to its correct spot (but who wants to do that after every clip). Also, I'm trying to do all my drum programming from a midi controller now (I have a USB M-Audio KeyRig) but the audio response, using the software synth drum sounds, is too sluggish to record anything meaningful.

Do I too need a better soundcard? I'm happy to get one, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't MC5 or the MIDI controller or some other factor that's tripping me up.

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:MC5 + asio4all 2010/11/20 13:06:26 (permalink)
    Hi, I'm using mc5 with asio4all with the Realtek HD codec on my Acer laptop with Windows Vista and get a latency of 2.9 ms so it's not impossible but you do have to experiment with the avanced settings in asio4all. Before you buy a dedicated soundcard I would try it  on your computer because I tried several usb interfaces and in my case the results were worse than the realtek card with asio4all.Just my €0,02.

Greetings , Morenoise
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:MC5 + asio4all 2010/11/20 15:30:24 (permalink)
    If you get better results with a realtek over a USB interface you did not have the interface setup properly. A good interface with native ASIO drivers will beat a built in chip every time.

One problem most folks have is they buy a cheap interface and set it up to record but leave the speakers attached to the built in card, and then they have timing and clock issues. The interface or sound card is the heart and soul of the system, if you do not setup a solid product you will get less than stellar results.

Here are the keyrig drivers page  http://www.m-audio.com/in...support&tab=driver

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    fendr1320
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:MC5 + asio4all 2010/11/20 16:53:19 (permalink)
    still trying some things...

thanks everyone!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1