Nectar Review: Opinions

Author
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
2010/11/19 08:15:18 (permalink)

Nectar Review: Opinions

I DL'd the Nectar demo.... it runs in full function mode for 10 days.

So I popped it into a song I have been working on and played a bit with the vocal track.

After spending a bit of time... and I admit I did not spend a long time playing with it and exploring it...I will jump back in later, hopefully before the 10 days are up..... or maybe I'll just reset the system clock.....

What I did notice on the pitch correction, I heard a bunch of weird noises in the track as it was doing it's thing.....every time I ran the track I heard the noises.....and ...... I could not get it to show the blobs like Melodyne does for manual manipulation. maybe I didn't do something right.

The EQ presets: some sounded pretty decent ( I was choosing the country settings) but a number of them were simply too gimmicky. Sounding alot like a newbies attempt to hide a poor vocal performance behind tons of FX. I concluded that with a little bit of time and effort, you could easily set up the same EQ in Ozone. The GUI and the controls appeared to be identical to Ozone's handling of EQ.

The most concerning thing to me was the CPU that this thing ate up. Just having it in the project ran the normal CPU level from 12% to 15% running several Ozones, a bunch of default cake plugs, and Melodyne in the vocal track.....................to..... 25% to 30%  having removed Melodyne and replacing it with Nectar.  An easy doubling of CPU numbers for that ONE plug.  If this was my older lappy DAW, I'm thinking Nectar would have stopped it cold...or at least caused major popping and clicking and audio drops.

So far, I'm not too impressed with Nectar. If you already have Melodyne you have a sweet pitch correction plug. And if you have Ozone 3 or 4, I think it's easy enough to set up dedicated presets to get the EQ, loudness, reverb, and compression that you need for a vocal track. I have already done that in O3/4 and find it works well and Ozone is much lighter on the CPU than Nectar seems to be.

I will of course load it up and play with it again before I make a final determination as to thumbs up or thumbs down on this new software offering.

Your thoughts and observations?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 

7 Replies Related Threads

MrMook
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 589
    Re:Nectar Review: Opinions 2010/11/19 11:09:58 (permalink)
    Haven't installed mine yet but I did want to make a comment about pitch correction. I can't find the info I read last night but apparently Nectar does not support Manual pitch correction in 64 bit SONAR. It does in 32 bit.

Manual Pitch Correction Host Support

Manual pitch editing in Nectar is not supported in the DirectX version. In addition, manual pitch editing requires the host application provide robust support for reporting transport location to plug-ins but not all hosts provide this information. Download the demo and try it in your favorite host.
    Hosts that do not support manual pitch correction can still use automatic pitch correction and all of the other features of Nectar.

I'm trying to find exactly where I read that.

Found it in the FAQs for Nectar:

Manual pitch editing requires robust support for reporting transport location from the host application. Unfortunately, not all hosts provide this information to plug-ins. The following lists represent the hosts we've verified support for at this time as well as the hosts that we know do not support manual pitch editing in Nectar.
    Please note that manual pitch editing is not supported at all when Nectar is instantiated as a DirectX plug-in, therefore please use Nectar as a VST plug-in when available.

Manual Pitch Correction Supported:

Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 (32 bit only)

Manual Pitch Correction Unsupported:

Sonar 8.5 64bit

Dave- 

SONAR Platinum

Intel i7 4790 360 GHz , 32 GB RAM, SR-22, UA-25EX, Win 7 x64, Too many Vsts and Effects.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Nectar Review: Opinions 2010/11/19 11:25:51 (permalink)
    I'm running Music Creator 4 as the host on a 32 bit OS.

Perhaps that's why I could not see the audio blobs.  I have a few hours until my next appointment so mI might log off here and load it up and play a bit.

BMI/NSAI

tparker24
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 544
    Re:Nectar Review: Opinions 2010/11/19 16:49:57 (permalink)
    Several of the presets (Soul & RnB "Subtle Ballad" and Country "Not Your Grandpa's Country") spiked my CPU to 90% and/or froze up SONAR.  I wrote to support who said those two presets use the Doubler; he suggested switching from Mix mode to Tracking mode (which helped only a little) or editing Doubler to use Polyphonice mode (which still froze my system).

I'm on an older PC with 2.5Ghz and 1G ram, and Nectar seems way too CPU hungry for me.  Too bad, I'm a "preset" kind of guy.  Maybe Nectar 2.0 will have some optimization.  ;-(

post edited by tparker24 - 2010/11/19 16:51:14
    tparker24
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 544
    Re:Nectar Review: Opinions 2010/11/19 16:58:56 (permalink)
    Oops .... duplicate.  Sorry.
    post edited by tparker24 - 2010/11/19 17:04:54
    simeon
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 494
    Re:Nectar Review: Opinions 2010/11/19 17:02:29 (permalink)
    To get the manual pitch correction to work you have to set the "configure as a tempo based effect" parameter in Plug In Manager.

I also got the manual pitch correction to work in SONAR x64 by using jBridge.

Nectar is a very "full" plug in and they seem to have introduced some new modeling techniques for this plug in to help set it apart from Ozone and Alloy specifically.

Simeon Amburgey
    Sound Creations, Inc.
    www.PraiseTracks.com
    ***PS.89:15***
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Nectar Review: Opinions 2010/11/19 20:17:31 (permalink)
    Hi, Herb,

I'm also in the process of testing it out, and for manual pitch correction, it says to make sure that you use the VST version for Sonar, and I'm guessing all Cakewalk products.  You may have inserted the DX version of the plugin instead of the VST version, which is what I also did.

Also, if you are using the plugin in "Tracking Mode", manual pitch correction is disabled to save CPU.

Hope this helps!
    Bob
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Nectar Review: Opinions 2010/11/19 20:56:09 (permalink)
    Upon the setup window opening, there were several options to install.... I made sure I selected the VST version and deselected the other two...one was dxi and IDR the other...

I will have a look at this later.

Right now, I am really inclined  to say my interest in this Plug is very low. After the trial, I'll probably remove it.  It seems to be redundant of the other TWO really nice plugs I already have, use and love.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/11/19 20:58:26

BMI/NSAI

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1