Audio Snap 2.0 question *PLEASE CHECK OUT VID*

Author
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
2010/11/19 09:14:36 (permalink)

Audio Snap 2.0 question *PLEASE CHECK OUT VID*

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this in audio snap? I was replacing a kick drum from a client that had excessive bleed going on. I snapped it up and when I copied and pasted to a midi track, it put one section on the correct midi note, all the rest was on all different midi notes. How is this even possible if I have it set for C4? LOL!

I thought it was something I was doing wrong, so I went and looked at the AS video offered here on the site....the only difference between what I did and what was done on the vid was I had to use 65 instead of the default on the threshold. Does anyone know how or why this might be happening? I can't get it to place the entire pasted midi notes to the right note number EVER. I've checked my settings, followed the video to the T, yet only a partial section ends up on the right midi note number. Any advice? Thanks in advance. :)
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2010/11/20 00:37:03

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester

16 Replies Related Threads

brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Audio Snap 2.0 question 2010/11/19 10:32:39 (permalink)

it put one section on the correct midi note, all the rest was on all different midi notes. How is this even possible if I have it set for C4?

Never seen that. I'm thinking some notes from another track must have been included in the paste buffer, but I don't se how that would happen either.

Does the timing of the oddball notes match the rhythm? And if you re-paste to another track, do you get the same pitch pattern?
    post edited by brundlefly - 2010/11/19 10:33:41
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Audio Snap 2.0 question 2010/11/19 19:26:18 (permalink)
    Hi Brundle, thanks for the response. I've never seen it either and it's really starting to bother me. I'm going to make a video of it so I can show what I do and what happens. Maybe it's me that's doing something wrong, but I can't see how it can paste assorted wrong midi notes. It's impossible isn't it? Here's what I do if this helps any.

1.Select the track
    2. apply trimming
    3. open AS
    4. set the options for C4 and the vary velocity thing so they don't all end up at 100.
    5.  set my threshold.
    6. check for stray transients and disable/enable what I may need
    7. copy as midi
    8. paste to midi track

Am I doing something wrong? It ends up on about 4 different midi notes and is never in perfect time like the video shown on here. I have to move it back a few increments as it's always a bit early. It IS snapping all the right transients, so that's a good thing. But this midi note thing is boggling my mind.

My Site
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Audio Snap 2.0 question 2010/11/20 00:37:51 (permalink)
    Here's a video of what's going on. If any of you can help me out or tell me what I'm doing wrong, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks very much!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4909348/AsTroubles.zip
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2010/11/20 00:40:22

My Site
    brundlefly
    Re:Audio Snap 2.0 question 2010/11/20 02:00:06 (permalink)
    Here's a video of what's going on. If any of you can help me out or tell me what I'm doing wrong, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks very much! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4909348/AsTroubles.zip

That's whacked, Danny. I dunno. I was just doing this yesterday to demonstrate separating kick and snare hits with EQ and pasting MIDi for each to its own track. No problems.

What version of SONAR is this, and is it x86 or x64?
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Audio Snap 2.0 question 2010/11/20 02:15:09 (permalink)
    Isn't that the weirdest thing brundle? I just can't understand how it's even possible. Thanks so much for taking a look at it for me. At least I know I'm not crazy. It does it in both 32 and 64 bit versions of Sonar running 8.5.3. The version you saw up was 32 bit. 

My Site
    lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:Audio Snap 2.0 question 2010/11/20 02:17:02 (permalink)
    Ok.  I can totally duplicate this doing what you are doing.  It appears that when you have multiple clips in the track it is adding 1 to the note value for each subsequent clip.   From the help menu it says this for extracting from clip(not tracks) 

It appears that you would have to do 1 clip at a time instead of the whole track.  I tried splitting at beats and got a really nice escalating chromatic scale.  I could not find any setting that would avoid this problem other than doing 1 clip at a time. 

It likely is an internal numbering of the clips that is taking place and somehow that number is getting added to the note value.  I think you have the makings of a problem report here.  I think it is temporarily shut down though till after X1 is released.  Maybe it will be fixed in X1.
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Audio Snap 2.0 question 2010/11/20 02:25:07 (permalink)
    Oh wow...thanks lorney! So it's the actual split clips I have causing it? If I bounce that split snare to a full track, it will probably work ok I'd imagine?

I emailed one of my buds at Sonar tech support to see if he can make anything of it. Thanks so much for at least narrowing it down. I'm going to try clip at a time, and then bouce the whole thing down to see if it will do it as 1 full clip. I really appreciate your help on this..thanks for taking a look at it for me. I'm pulling my hair out (and I need my hair bein a lil rocker dude lol) on this because I need to finish this up for a client.

I can get it nearly spot on using Drumagog to fly a sample in, but I'm still getting a few kick and tom samlpes that trip off Drumagog once in a while. That's why you see the clip so split up like it is. I tried to elminate all the extra stuff going on in the track...I've even tried to gate it a bit, but then I lose my ghosties. I don't know where this poor baystid recorded this stuff, but man, I never in my life heard as much bleed through this snare drum mic in all my years. It's even worse than the Cake vid where the dude used that U-87 on his snare. I literally got as much hat as I do snare in this thing...it's horrible. Shame too because the drummer is incredible. Oh well, thanks so much again.

My Site
    lorneyb2
    Re:Audio Snap 2.0 question 2010/11/20 02:29:05 (permalink)
    With the test I did the first thing I thought of was to bounce to clip to get all one clip.  Unfortunately it created transients in between the clips I split out.  I will try a bounce to track to see if that works better.
    lorneyb2
    Re:Audio Snap 2.0 question 2010/11/20 02:40:17 (permalink)
    Just tried bounce to track and it does the same thing, it inserts transients in the areas that were blank.  So it appears either way you are going to have to do some editing.  I think your original method of just dragging all the notes down to the note you want would still be the easiest.  

A quick way to do that is to insert note at the very start of the copied midi track for each note that it interpreted. (eg at beat 1 measure 1 insert a 1/4 note from F3 to the highest note it spit out)
    Then select that note from the keyboard(drum map) (click on the keyboard note)and that will select all the notes of that value and just drag it down to where you want it (E3).  That will move all the F3 notes to E3.  Repeat the process for each note it gave you.  You likely are aware of that method but thought I would mention it just in case you weren't aware of that feature.
    post edited by lorneyb2 - 2010/11/20 02:47:15
    brundlefly
    Re:Audio Snap 2.0 question 2010/11/20 03:03:27 (permalink)
    Unfortunately it created transients in between the clips I split out.

Those are User markers (another bug) that you can get rid of by keybinding Delete Transient, and then right-clicking the the clip with the transient tool, choosing Select > User Markers, and using your keybinding to delete them all at once. Without the keybinding, you can only delete on at a time, even when they are all selected.

Good catch on the split clips. I only had time for a quick look earlier, and didn't pick that up. I think I was distracted by Danny going to the menu to bring up the AS Palette. I always just hit Shift-A. 

Danny Danzi
    Re:Audio Snap 2.0 question 2010/11/20 03:04:49 (permalink)
    Good stuff lorney, thanks a lot! I just tried the bounce...same results as you. There will be a little editing no matter what unless I just do clip at a time. It does work bouncing though...I just have to edit the midi a few times. Would be easier to just process AS clip at a time and paste each midi as needed because that worked well too. At least I can finish off this project now thanks to you. Yeah I'm aware of the method you mentioned for the midi notes...thanks for everything, I owe ya one. :)
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2010/11/20 03:51:02

My Site
    brundlefly
    Re:Audio Snap 2.0 question 2010/11/20 03:07:10 (permalink)
    I think your original method of just dragging all the notes down to the note you want would still be the easiest.  

I would just select the whole track and use the Event Inspector to change them all to the desired note number/pitch in one fell swoop.

Danny Danzi
    Re:Audio Snap 2.0 question 2010/11/20 03:08:11 (permalink)
    brundlefly

Unfortunately it created transients in between the clips I split out.

Those are User markers (another bug) that you can get rid of by keybinding Delete Transient, and then right-clicking the the clip with the transient tool, choosing Select > User Markers, and using your keybinding to delete them all at once. Without the keybinding, you can only delete on at a time, even when they are all selected.

Good catch on the split clips. I only had time for a quick look earlier, and didn't pick that up. I think I was distracted by Danny going to the menu to bring up the AS Palette. I always just hit Shift-A. 

Oh man, thanks for that marker tip brundle! I was deleting one at a time and said to myself "there has to be an easier way!" Thanks for your help on this also. Yeah I don't know why I don't use Shift-A...I know it's there I just forget until someone tells me "why don't you use shift-a?" LOL!! I think I'm too afraid to hit ctrl-a by accident or something. I'm gonna burn it into my brain from here on out though....shift-a...shift-a...shift-a! :) Thanks so much again.

My Site
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Audio Snap 2.0 question 2010/11/20 03:09:44 (permalink)
    brundlefly

I think your original method of just dragging all the notes down to the note you want would still be the easiest.  

I would just select the whole track and use the Event Inspector to change them all to the desired note number/pitch in one fell swoop.

The more I stay here, the more you guys teach me. LOL! I forgot all about doing it that way! Man, I get so wrapped up in trying to remember so much stuff, I forget the obvious. Thanks!

My Site
    lorneyb2
    Re:Audio Snap 2.0 question 2010/11/20 03:41:48 (permalink)
    brundlefly

LOL.  I keep forgetting about that one.  I use it, drag it down to where I am working and then hit X to close it and it disappears from the tool bar.  Then it usually seems like more inconvenience to go load it back onto the tool bar so I use my roundabout methods as above.

Thanks for the reminder brundlefly! 

That why I love this place.  Now matter what you think you are doing efficiently there is always a better method.
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Audio Snap 2.0 question 2010/11/20 03:50:30 (permalink)
    Totally agree there lorney, not to mention, our members here are the best tech support on the net! Hey, sorry for spelling your name wrong....uggh, I'm gonna go fix it as I spelled it wrong every time I said it! Sorry about that!

My Site
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1