Abbey Road Drums in Sonar Setup Help

Author
blinduncledallas
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
2010/11/20 07:21:26 (permalink)

Abbey Road Drums in Sonar Setup Help

Hi,

This is a repost from the Native Instruments forum. Hopefully someone has a similar setup and can help.

I am having problems setting up the drums on separate tracks in Sonar.

I have added extra channels in the Kontakt mixer and saved them as per the advice from the Native Instruments forum. I seem to be getting the signals going to separate audio tracks in Sonar but they are coming into the single audio tracks separately AND all together and I can't seem to figure it out and it's driving me mad! They also do this in the Kontakt mixer too so I think it's something I don't have set up properly within Kontakt.

I have only started using Kontakt properly recently due to these WONDERFUL sounding Abbey Road drums. I used to use Battery which I know inside out from using on a daily basis but have only used Kontakt for the Pianos really so you'll have to explain it to me like you would to a child

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many Thanks in advance!

7 Replies Related Threads

yorolpal
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:Abbey Road Drums in Sonar Setup Help 2010/11/20 10:36:36 (permalink)
    I feel your pain there BUD, ol pal.  When I first got Abbey Road Drums I had a devil of a time figuring out how to get them to separate tracks in Sonar too.  Then I discovered a post on the NI forum that sorta explained how to do it and...it worked!!  I have recently got a new DAW and simply imported the Template folder I made for ARDrums so, of course, now I can't remember exactly what I did.  However, you are right that it's not having your routing set in Both Kontakt and the Abbey Road GUI.  Plus there is something about having to set it up...save it as the default setup in Knotakt...then delete that instantiation of Kontakt from Sonar and reopen a new one.  Please search the NI forum for routing Abbey Road Drums in Sonar again.  Sorry I can't be more help, but I'm working in the project studio today and I'll take a look again and see if I can jar my memory.  Also EW might pass by here as he is want to do (he's a Kontakt forum moderator) and help us both out.  It can be done.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    blinduncledallas
    Re:Abbey Road Drums in Sonar Setup Help 2010/11/20 19:19:36 (permalink)
    Hi yorolpal!

Thanks a lot for replying. You are actually the guy I was looking for on the Native Instruments forum as I noticed the posts in thread you mentioned but unfortunately it's still not working for me. I'm getting really really stressed out over this!!! It's driving me crazy!

I'll try to explain what I've been doing and see if there is anything I'm doing wrong. I keep trying many different ways without any success:

As it was explained in the NI thread, I have added tracks in the Kontakt mixer then set as default. Then I save and close Sonar and reopen. The plugin outs now show in the Kontakt mixer 'conf' section. I then send each drum to it's own mixer channel with the pulldown menu above the name of the drum in the drums mixer section.

Do I have to add tracks as 'mono' (1 track with one channel) or Stereo (1 track with 2 channels) in Kontakt's mixer? This is where I am getting confused. If I add them as mono tracks, I can't seem to get any sound when I set up a midi track in Sonar but if I add them as stereo tracks, the plug in outputs go to each L,R of the channels and go up to plug in out #15 on track st.8 and then I get sound ok.

I then route audio tracks in Sonar to each drum using the inputs as each mono st track from Kontakt's mixer. The problem is if I solo the kick (St.1) , it is fine and has it's own track but if I solo the snare which is on st.2 in Kontakt I get the whole kit playing. I've tried different tracks and they are all getting the full kit signals. It seems only the Kick (St.1) is getting it's own channel and I can't figure out what setting is wrong.

I notice in Kontakt's output section at the top it says the output is 'St.1 + groups'. Is it something to do with this?

Thank you very much for your help in this. I believe you are going to be the key to a solution to this as you have been through this frustration yourself. I really wish NI would help more in these matters but alas they don't!

I'm itching to get some music made as like yourself I have just put a new DAW together and it's taking ages to configure everything. This is now the only thing in my way (for now ;))

Cheers

Dale
    BretB
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:Abbey Road Drums in Sonar Setup Help 2010/11/20 19:35:45 (permalink)
    I am working my way through setting up Steven Slate Drums on my Sonar Producer DAW.  The Slate drums work though Kontakt Player.  If your new kits use Kontakt, maybe I can help.  Mine is ported to 16 stereo channels.  I am stumped on getting my Hats dialed in from my EDrums.

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
    https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
    yorolpal
    Re:Abbey Road Drums in Sonar Setup Help 2010/11/21 11:31:23 (permalink)
    Yea, Kontakts mixer output thing is anything but easy or intuitive.  Lets say you've tracks 1-8 in Sonar.  That might equate to outs 1&2 to track 1, outs 3&4 to track 2, outs 5&6 to track three...you get the picture.  You have to sort of translate between Kontakt and Sonar.  Plus you've got to make sure (which I think you have) to have your little chicken head mixer settings right in Abbey Road.  Sheesh.  I'll pull it up here in a minute and see if I can refresh my own memory.

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    yorolpal
    Re:Abbey Road Drums in Sonar Setup Help 2010/11/21 12:24:19 (permalink)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n32-P9vLyXs&feature=related

This should help ya.  I even learned that I was doing one thing wrong.  As you can see in the video Kontakts routing scheme is a big ol steamin pile of stinky poo.  It may be (and I love NI and Kontakt) the single most non-intuitive mixer routing scheme ever devised by evil men.  But...once you can suss it...you can make it work.  Keep me posted on your progress, ol pal.  Turns out I didn't save over my old template and am having to create my Abbey Road template from scratch too.

yorolpal
    Re:Abbey Road Drums in Sonar Setup Help 2010/11/21 12:53:21 (permalink)
    OK BUD, ol pal.  I've got a track template for Abbey Roads 60s Drums all done.  If you'll just PM me with an email address I'll send it to ya.  Apparently I can't send it through Cakewalks PM setup.

PS:  Ignore what the guy in the video says about using the aux outputs first...they should be last.

blinduncledallas
    Re:Abbey Road Drums in Sonar Setup Help 2010/11/21 19:30:45 (permalink)
    yorolpal

OK BUD, ol pal.  I've got a track template for Abbey Roads 60s Drums all done.  If you'll just PM me with an email address I'll send it to ya.  Apparently I can't send it through Cakewalks PM setup.

PS:  Ignore what the guy in the video says about using the aux outputs first...they should be last.

Yeah. I thought that was weird and totally wrong. Why would you use the Auxes first?

I gave up yesterday trying to route this up. I totally agree. It's the worst mixer setup I have ever used. And NI's 'deal with it' attitude just aggravates me. Why couldn't they let you use it in BATTERY? Lots of people are also asking the same question of why they can't use them in BFD. They have locked the samples up. It seems they are trying to move ALL sampling to Kontakt and use that as a spring board for everything. Sort of makes sense but they need to implement some kind of 'per sample pack' mixer. The way I see it, the AR Drum packs would work fine if they just worked straight from the mixer within the software pack and ignored the Kontakt mixer. Hopefully that will be done in a future update. Hopefully...

I've also heard a few people saying the room mic channels are out of phase which if true is astounding saying they are coming from a pedigree like Abbey Road.

Anyway, enough moaning. I'm just sending you a PM now with my details.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1