64 Bit operating system

Author
kev11111111111111
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1772
2010/11/20 09:58:58 (permalink)

64 Bit operating system

Hi !
 just bought a new computer and it comes with windows 7,64 bit.  I'm pretty confused as to what this means ?? Most of my programs are 32 bit (collossus,gypsy,Vienna) and I'm running Sonar in 32 bit. Is it advisable to install Sonar as 64 bit on a seperate partition so I can make full use of the RAM ? I've just installed Collossus and it gives me the message "system running low on physical memory,loading more samples may make it unstable"....which is driving me nuts,cos my computer is new !! it has the following specs - [font=""]Intel Core I7 2.8GHz QUAD CORE with HT
120mm CPU cooler and exhaust fan
Gigabyte P55
4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Corsair
500GB OS drive
1TB Audio drive
530W Seasonic

The CPU meter on sonar shows very little activity so no strain there.All other programs seem to work fine,apart from when I load more collossus samples - in which case Sonar crashes and I have to restart.Very confusing ? Can someone help me out here ? Go easy on me,I'm no computer wizard lol
Kev

8 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:64 Bit operating system 2010/11/20 22:45:05 (permalink)
    Is it advisable to install Sonar as 64 bit on a seperate partition so I can make full use of the RAM ?

If you decide to install Sonar 64, there is no reason to do so on a separate partition. Your system specs say you only have 4 GB of ram installed, so you are not going to get much more ram working for you in any case. The 64 bit OS can access more than the 32 bit version, but it requires more ram to run so you are probably not getting a big benefit from your 64 bit windows on that machine.

I am not familiar with Colossus, so I can't help much there. On the face of it you are being told that you need more memory to run the program. Insufficient memory error reports are notoriously misleading however, so it may be  unrelated to the actual memory requirement.
    kev11111111111111
    Re:64 Bit operating system 2010/11/21 08:41:45 (permalink)
    hey
    I posted the wrong specs lol Its the same specs but with 2 x 4GB ram.I installed Sonar 6 (64 bit) on my computer yesterday,and now I have both options - 32 and 64 bit. I'm tracking in 32 bit mode at the minute and then I intend to export and mix in 64 - maybe I'll post the results later.
    For Colossus,ok maybe the message is misleading ?? Maybe it installed badly as the installation disk is slighty damaged.Best bet is to copy the program files from my old computer to my new one I think.
    Thanks for your post
    Kev
    RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:64 Bit operating system 2010/11/21 15:28:23 (permalink)
    Hey Kev - No need to export from Sonar 32 and import to Sonar 64. You can just use Sonar 64 to directly open your Sonar 32 project.

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    kev11111111111111
    Re:64 Bit operating system 2010/11/21 15:34:25 (permalink)
    RogerS

Hey Kev - No need to export from Sonar 32 and import to Sonar 64. You can just use Sonar 64 to directly open your Sonar 32 project.

Cool tip ! thanks
    Kev

fsr76
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re:64 Bit operating system 2010/11/22 15:21:35 (permalink)
    The "system running low on memory" error message you are seeing with Colossus is an NI Kontakt Player engine error which I don't think was ever patched.  This error occurs when loading up sample libraries into RAM beyond a certain threshold.  As far as I know, it doesn't affect playback or performance.  But just to make sure, check the Windows Task Manager to see if you are actually running low on System Memory.  The PF Usage Graph is the one to look at.

Also, if you transition over to using Sonar 64-bit, you might want to also use a 32-bit to 64-bit plugin wrapper called jBridge for certain plugins, and for others just let Sonar's bit bridge do the magic. 
    http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

Fred
    PCAudioLabs
    Rok Box MC
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:64 Bit operating system 2010/11/22 15:56:05 (permalink)
    hey Kev

welcome to the brave new world! sonar 6 was an early version of sonar to support x64, which not many people had back then so not sure how stable it will be - i assume it will have an early version of BitBridge. as far as your workflow goes, being on x64 shouldn't make any difference to things, however there are a few things to think about. be careful making changes on the fly in 32 bit plug-ins using the bridge, it is more likely to cause a crash. you may also see some weird things in plug-in interface appearance.
    you can't use rewire in 64 bit so if you use reason that cold be a problem.

anyhow, see how you get on! i'm happy using win 7 x64 but i have sonar 8.5...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    kev11111111111111
    Re:64 Bit operating system 2010/11/22 16:57:39 (permalink)
    fsr76

The "system running low on memory" error message you are seeing with Colossus is an NI Kontakt Player engine error which I don't think was ever patched.  This error occurs when loading up sample libraries into RAM beyond a certain threshold.  As far as I know, it doesn't affect playback or performance.  But just to make sure, check the Windows Task Manager to see if you are actually running low on System Memory.  The PF Usage Graph is the one to look at.

Also, if you transition over to using Sonar 64-bit, you might want to also use a 32-bit to 64-bit plugin wrapper called jBridge for certain plugins, and for others just let Sonar's bit bridge do the magic. 
    http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

Hey
    Dunno if it affects performance or not...my Stylux RMX has crashed a couple of times,and its only when I have colossus running that this occurs.Maybe related,maybe not...the joys of changing computer eh :)  I've read bit about the jBridge wrapper over the last couple of days - yep this could be worth downloading I think.
    Thanks for your post !
    Kev

kev11111111111111
    Re:64 Bit operating system 2010/11/22 17:20:04 (permalink)
    mgh

hey Kev

welcome to the brave new world! sonar 6 was an early version of sonar to support x64, which not many people had back then so not sure how stable it will be - i assume it will have an early version of BitBridge. as far as your workflow goes, being on x64 shouldn't make any difference to things, however there are a few things to think about. be careful making changes on the fly in 32 bit plug-ins using the bridge, it is more likely to cause a crash. you may also see some weird things in plug-in interface appearance.
    you can't use rewire in 64 bit so if you use reason that cold be a problem.

anyhow, see how you get on! i'm happy using win 7 x64 but i have sonar 8.5...

hey !
    Brave new world,lol yeah you know it ! Been running a pretty big project today,and touch wood no more problems so far.Didn't load anymore of my stylus program (kept crashing  pretty sure its to do with colossus another plugin on my system) but I've managed loads of Vienna,and a few more instances of my Gypsy library ---------yeah this computer rocks,I'm over the moon with it 2 be honest !
    I have thought about Sonar 8 last couple of days.I wrote to Cakewalk support and asked them how much to upgrade,and would it improve my computers performance with VSTs and stuff.I'm waiting for them to get back to me.We'll see - to be honest Sonar 6 has everything I need - its just this damn colossus program giving me grief now - everything else is sitting right...
    I don't think it does have bit bridge installed,though I will double check the installation disk.For sure I can't use colossus in 64 mode so its defo not on sonar at the mo. Rewire isn't a problem since I don't use any programs that use this.I do have an old copy of Tascams gigasampler which uses rewire but its useless,buggy as hell.Wouldn't let it near this computer,in fact I ended up just giving the cool wooden box it came in to my missus to put her bits and bobs in ha...at least it has found some use lol !

Kev

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1