Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle...

Author
yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
2010/11/20 18:33:26 (permalink)

Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle...

I saw that GC has most of their expansion packs for both EZD and SD2 on half price for the next few weeks.  Time to snag Metal Foundry I says to myself.  Moseyed on down to my local GC and said to my sales guy (and former employee of my own studio) Josh, my good man, I think I'll have me a big ol steamin cup of Toontrack Metal Foundry today as I see you have them on sale.  Sure, says he and begins to google around on his computer.  But guess what?  No, go on guess.  The local GCs didn't have anything about the sale in their computers.  No problem, says Josh, I can match any competitors price...even our own.  I'll wait a moment for that to sink in.  And this is what he did.  He just "pretended" on the computer to match a competitors price (namely GC) and rang up a reciept for 79 bucks plus tax.  OK!  Thanks Josh, ol pal.  But wait...it gets better.  Nowadays, as you might be aware, you don't get a box or a DVD, all you get is a piece of paper with your license code on it which you enter into Toons registration process, download your software, authorize it and go on your merry way.  Not so fast, Hortense!!  When my reciept printed out instead of an ordered series of five (or 6?) groups of 4 letters and numbers my little slip of paper just said "X" in the license code area.  Just the singular letter "X".  Now that can't be right says I.  So off Josh goes to talk to the boss.  And here's what he told me.  Once the reciept is printed out with ANY kind of license code on it (even "X") it can't be reprinted or returned.  And since this is a weekend we will all have to wait till Monday to sort this out...OR...I'm free to head on to Toon's site and see if "X" will unlock and download the software.  I'm waiting till Monday.  GC...don't ya just love em.

PS:  No...X doesn't work.  I couldn't resist.
post edited by yorolpal - 2010/11/20 18:37:42

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.

21 Replies Related Threads

craigfowler
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 356
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/20 20:00:01 (permalink)
    *Every* time I've bought an EZX at GC I've had this kind of problem. The store in town never changes their printer ink, so you always end up with a half dozen characters that could be one of three or four things. Last time it took a DaVinci Code level of decrypting (seriously - working methodically through each of about 20 possible combinations) to get my NY SDX to authorize.
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/20 20:32:46 (permalink)
    I hate to say anything derogatory about any one particular TT distributor so I'll just shut up.

Did I ever tell you that they wanted to add my product to their business (we were already selling Musician's Friend)?  They basically wanted to come in and take over my product and tell me what they would pay for me to put it together.

Told them to take a hike.  (The Musician's Friend business went away.)
    post edited by Mod Bod - 2010/11/20 20:35:17

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/20 20:34:06 (permalink)
    craigfowler

*Every* time I've bought an EZX at GC I've had this kind of problem. The store in town never changes their printer ink, so you always end up with a half dozen characters that could be one of three or four things. Last time it took a DaVinci Code level of decrypting (seriously - working methodically through each of about 20 possible combinations) to get my NY SDX to authorize.

Try scanning your receipt with a scanner and save as a grayscale image and then invert the colors of the image. That helps me read faded print on thermal receipts. This may work for you.

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

craigfowler
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/20 20:44:06 (permalink)
    gustabo

craigfowler

Try scanning your receipt with a scanner and save as a grayscale image and then invert the colors of the image. That helps me read faded print on thermal receipts. This may work for you.

Thanks for the tip - I did scan as grayscale but it didn't occur to me to invert the colors. I'll try that next time (which, let's face it - will be next month unless I go for Abbey Road 70s instead!)

yorolpal
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/20 21:47:56 (permalink)
    Great suggestion there Gustabo, ol pal.  Only on my receipt there was a perfectly clear, stark black "X" and then nothing else...no grey scale...no shadow...no nothing.  If only it could be so easy!!

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/20 21:56:25 (permalink)
    I was referring to craigfowler's faded ink.
    I realize that inverting an X would only give clues to the "I Am The Walrus" Beatles conspiracy so I won't even mention that!
    Cool, I've been referred to as "ol pal"!!!!! (thank you, sincerely)

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/22 08:50:04 (permalink)
    So 'bricks and mortar' really means that the people working there are likely 'thick as a brick'  and you will be 'mortarfied' at the level of indifference to customer service.

That is why I prefer to shop on line, I expect indifference from the internet and usually any mistakes are due to my own stoopidity.

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    keneds
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/22 09:46:56 (permalink)
    I had a similar problem... Couldn't decifer if it was a "D" a "0" or an "O" on my slip and there were several in the code. took about a dozen tries untill I gave up and contacted toon tech service. They helped alot on getting me going and it was a Saturday.

SONAR Platinum  
    Dell XPS17 /  External 23" touch screen & 22" HP displays/Windows 10 64bit i5 processor/  
    8Gb ram/500GB (7200rpm SATA HD)/Roland VS-700 set/KRK rockit 6/KRK 10" sub and a bunch of cables
    EZdrummer2 / EZmix2

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/22 10:14:51 (permalink)
    crap!  nashville sdx is the only one not listed as 1/2 price!  that's the only one I wanted!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    craigfowler
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/22 14:20:31 (permalink)
    Beagle

crap!  nashville sdx is the only one not listed as 1/2 price!  that's the only one I wanted!

Do you already have the NY vol II? I think that's pretty spectacular! Definitely worth the price of admission!

Jayo
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/22 16:29:31 (permalink)
    Remember, it's called "Music City SDX", and is available.
    Norrie
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/22 20:21:15 (permalink)
    Hey guys

Just jumping in on this one....

Over here in the scotland we have to buy it by the box and have our disks in our hands that day. Metal foundry has 5. (will be a big download for ya man!)

One of my disks wasnt working when I was doing a reinstall one day and when I went on to my toonaccount I couldnt download the full version only part of it.

I just wanted to ask you guys are you able to download the full versions to your accounts ? or just parts then you ge tteh disks posted to you ?

The reason I ask is I live about an hour and a half drive away from any music shop so would be better for me to just be able to download in the future but I didnt think I could?

I Hope you get your X problem sorted maybe its a sign :P do do with Sonar X1 or something haha toontrack know something we dont :P

Anyways once you are sorted you will love the metal foundry its great and I will be interested to hear how you get on

Cheers and beers

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/23 19:03:51 (permalink)
    I bought Music City from SW ( 4 weeks before it went on sale).

Anywhoo. What I learned is that they were 'supposed' to send me the disks. They only sent me the auth codes. Bottom line from Toontrack was "the download is a limited set, the rest is on the disk". It took a week but I finally got the disks from SW.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/23 19:23:30 (permalink)
    The codes I love are the ones that use upper and lower case letters and also numbers.....

so take your best guess..>>>>. 00Ol-IIl1-0O0O... ???? just a simple combo of cap O's and the 0 zero as well as a few 1 ones a small l L and a cap I (eye) ....

those are always my favorites. And it's really, really fun if the printout is a bit faded....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    yorolpal
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/23 20:19:20 (permalink)
    I finally got it all worked out...GC got me a working serial number and the assistant manager who I just happened to see at his part time job at a wine store I frequent said..."did they give you the content disks?"  To which I replied, "No."  But they found those as well and I'm all loaded up and kickin some metal drum booty.  But here's something just to get the purists fired up.  I only did the 8 gig "limited install" of the sound library and not the full 33 gig version.  I did this for two reasons.  One, I wanted to see if I could tell a real, substantive difference in quality between this new soundpack and my original SD2 full load NYAvatar kits. And two, just because I'm a lazy assed sum**** and didn't want to spend the time tonight to load in all 33 gigs.  Sounds just fine to me at 8 gigs tho...and it's there if I ever want to install the rest which is mostly "bleed"...which, ironically, I spend most of my time (as did Roger Nichols) getting OUT of my drum mixes and not IN.  YMMV.

bapu
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/23 20:23:59 (permalink)
    .which, ironically, I spend most of my time (as did Roger Nichols) getting OUT of my drum mixes and not IN. YMMV.

I can see that. Sometimes the bleed seems.... well.... too bleedin' mush.

Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/23 21:13:09 (permalink)
    bapu

.which, ironically, I spend most of my time (as did Roger Nichols) getting OUT of my drum mixes and not IN. YMMV.

I can see that. Sometimes the bleed seems.... well.... too bleedin' mush.

If you ever study the producer presets, you quickly notice how they don't use that much bleed.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/23 21:21:25 (permalink)

"yoropal"

PS:  No...X doesn't work.  I couldn't resist. 

Although I feel sorry for your misfortune, I just couldn't stop laughing. Nice humor/sarcasm combo. Entertaining post.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/23 21:31:00 (permalink)
    I wanted to see if I could tell a real, substantive difference in quality between this new soundpack and my original SD2 full load NYAvatar kits

Well? Could you?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    bapu
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/23 21:32:58 (permalink)
    bitflipper

I wanted to see if I could tell a real, substantive difference in quality between this new soundpack and my original SD2 full load NYAvatar kits

Well? Could you?

I think myolpal stated above he's lazy (or some such 'scuse). So we'll probably never know.

yorolpal
    Re:Hey Mod, this should give ya a chuckle... 2010/11/23 23:14:53 (permalink)
    Nope.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1