Working with audio in X1

Author
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
2010/11/21 13:47:21 (permalink)

Working with audio in X1

The multi dock is cool and has a lot of potential. :) I'm looking forward to be able to click a clip and edit that clip in the multi-dock at some point (not loop construction only). I don't think it will be in X1, but maybe in the future. Anyone know for sure... ?

Dave
Songs

10 Replies Related Threads

garrigus
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:Working with audio in X1 2010/11/21 14:25:55 (permalink)
    No, there isn't an audio editing view. You can do most of your editing in the Track view as before. The difference now is the new tools, which work in all views.

You can still add an external editor as before except that the Tools menu is now called the Utilities menu.

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
    musicroom
    Re:Working with audio in X1 2010/11/21 17:33:35 (permalink)
    garrigus

No, there isn't an audio editing view. You can do most of your editing in the Track view as before. The difference now is the new tools, which work in all views.

You can still add an external editor as before except that the Tools menu is now called the Utilities menu.

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

Thanks for the reply Scott and I enjoy your books! 

I am still a little amazed that a lot of daws out there don't have an audio window that is optional for opening in order to do some routine editing on a clip/track (my PC Logic days are showing). Seems to be the elephant in the room for any audio program. 

Looking at the multi-dock opportunities, Sonar is positioned to add a number of exciting/useful tools for us over the next few years. For instance, I see where one can drop midi editors into the multi-dock with X1 (cool), audio could be there as well...

Dave
    Songs

Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:Working with audio in X1 2010/11/22 11:08:22 (permalink)
    musicroom The multi dock is cool and has a lot of potential. :) I'm looking forward to be able to click a clip and edit that clip in the multi-dock at some point (not loop construction only). I don't think it will be in X1, but maybe in the future. Anyone know for sure... ?
    Hey musicroom,

Just intrigued as to why you (and perhaps others) are wedded to the idea of a separate 'audio edit window'? If you'd had asked 'do we get sample accurate editing and wave drawing pencil tool?' (ie the tools of a fully functional wave editor) I'd be totally down with that but I don't get the point of opening another window to do it (be it in a dock or otherwise).

One of the glories of Sonar is that it was one of (if not the) first DAW to the table with a single window interface, ditching the (barely relevant) attendance to making things in the computer, and operated with a mouse, look like stuff in the real world and operated with fingers.

One can undertake any task needed in the track view (admitedly they watered it down over the years by pandering to the flat earthers ;-) (I jest, sorta) who wanted something that looked like a mixer in their computer, and culminating in the pchannel).

What task would you like to achieve and how would it be made simpler with a different view rather than a better set of tools?

Not trying to be spikey just genuinly intrigued, I like to put tough questions to Cakewalk too but in this case I think this is something they got right at the outset so think it's important to stick up for.

Child
    elle
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 139
    Re:Working with audio in X1 2010/11/22 12:11:12 (permalink)
    I'd rather prefer that double-clicking the audio clip would trigger zoom/return from zoom to previous view - that is the height of the track would maximize and the clip length would fit the entire width available. You know.. kind of a Fit to Clip feature.
    musicroom
    Re:Working with audio in X1 2010/11/22 13:31:36 (permalink)
    Rothchild

musicroom The multi dock is cool and has a lot of potential. :) I'm looking forward to be able to click a clip and edit that clip in the multi-dock at some point (not loop construction only). I don't think it will be in X1, but maybe in the future. Anyone know for sure... ?

Hey musicroom,

Just intrigued as to why you (and perhaps others) are wedded to the idea of a separate 'audio edit window'? If you'd had asked 'do we get sample accurate editing and wave drawing pencil tool?' (ie the tools of a fully functional wave editor) I'd be totally down with that but I don't get the point of opening another window to do it (be it in a dock or otherwise).

One of the glories of Sonar is that it was one of (if not the) first DAW to the table with a single window interface, ditching the (barely relevant) attendance to making things in the computer, and operated with a mouse, look like stuff in the real world and operated with fingers.

One can undertake any task needed in the track view (admitedly they watered it down over the years by pandering to the flat earthers ;-) (I jest, sorta) who wanted something that looked like a mixer in their computer, and culminating in the pchannel).

What task would you like to achieve and how would it be made simpler with a different view rather than a better set of tools?

Not trying to be spikey just genuinly intrigued, I like to put tough questions to Cakewalk too but in this case I think this is something they got right at the outset so think it's important to stick up for.

Child

No problem Rothchild,

I think they got it right too, and looking forward to X1 as I have been for all of the versions since S3 PE. Never missed an update.

But can I have things I want? I think so. :) Here is where I see value - Working from within the main track screen is fine, been doing that for years... Also, when something needs that extra power editing, I open the track/clip in SF and edit. So I am familiar so to speak and don't mind going back and forth too much.

Now to my preferred way to work. I can envision clicking on an audio clip and/or dropping it into the multi dock for quick edits. Like, removing noise, auditioning a clip fx, even destructively chopping and cutting if I so desire. Maybe that is where Sonar could combine some of their tools like V-Vocal edits, do time stretching. Who knows, Sonar rocks with possibilities. Love the program and I am just white-boarding here.

It seems to me that adding an audio editing window to be a natural next step with X1 (clearing my throat, in an audio focused software like X1). I don't really think it would have been as natural for the previous 8.53 PE version. But with X1's multi-dock and drag/drop everything, I like what I'm thinking.

If this was such a non-deal so to speak (I too am just having a friendly back and forth here), then why have this option for midi? The answer of course is workflow, we don't wish to open an external midi editor to perform routine midi edits. We want to quickly edit within our DAW. As I mentioned in a earlier post, Logic had a minimalist audio editor back in the PC days and I really found it useful. I still ported over to SF for extensive edits, but less frequently than I do now.

For me, I don't get the defenders view of this missing feature in an audio program. Sure we can move around on the arrange screen positioning the clip in the middle of the screen, zooming in/out. But, why not have that editing possibility pop up right in front of you like midi in the multi-docker? I am in no way wanting Sonar X1 to bloat the software with everything a SF type program can do. It is more of a viewing/editing option of what Sonar currently offers in the arrange screen.

We already have loop construction view, (which I never use :)), that audio window appears to be just a step away from being really useful for what I would like...

And finally, I think it is very safe for me to say that when Sonar adds this feature (or if) in the future. There will be an outpouring of people including Sonar staff, the media and users who will proclaim this feature to be a game changer in the DAW world. That, I would bet on.

Thanks,
    DM

Dave
    Songs

musicroom
    Re:Working with audio in X1 2010/11/22 13:39:48 (permalink)
    elle

I'd rather prefer that double-clicking the audio clip would trigger zoom/return from zoom to previous view - that is the height of the track would maximize and the clip length would fit the entire width available. You know.. kind of a Fit to Clip feature.

That would be cool as well. I think having the clip automatically line up for you with a big footprint (zoomed in) would be a nice feature.

Dave
    Songs

Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:Working with audio in X1 2010/11/22 14:24:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for the full response musicroom. An interesting and valid take on the situation.

Perhaps there should be a spin off competition / activity (sorta like the orchestration thing) where folk are given a project file, and a set of tasks to complete, with everyone capturing a screen cast of how they go about completing the tasks. I reckon it could be a real eye-opener on why such a simple term as 'workflow' is so deceiving!

I like elle's version, sorta sounds like a better way of using what we've got already, to me, it synthesizes the two points represented here (a more full set of audio tools in the track view or an audio editing tool in another window/view).

Cheers,
    Child
    musicroom
    Re:Working with audio in X1 2010/11/22 14:36:40 (permalink)
    Rothchild

Thanks for the full response musicroom. An interesting and valid take on the situation.

Perhaps there should be a spin off competition / activity (sorta like the orchestration thing) where folk are given a project file, and a set of tasks to complete, with everyone capturing a screen cast of how they go about completing the tasks. I reckon it could be a real eye-opener on why such a simple term as 'workflow' is so deceiving!

I like elle's version, sorta sounds like a better way of using what we've got already, to me, it synthesizes the two points represented here (a more full set of audio tools in the track view or an audio editing tool in another window/view).

Cheers,
    Child

Thank you Rothchild. That workflow competition idea of yours would be great! I can only imagine all the things a lot users do routinely, that I have never thought of...  

elle's version would also have my vote - a nice compromise!

Thanks,
    DM

Dave
    Songs

tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    Re:Working with audio in X1 2010/11/22 14:58:49 (permalink)

Rothchild said...

That is actually called Usability Testing which I would hope Roland/Cakewalk already did that (with their beta testers) as part of the project for creating X1.

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Working with audio in X1 2010/11/22 16:22:30 (permalink)
    elle

that is kind of the way it was back in Cakewalk Pro Audio9 days. I found it very useful as you could have a bunch of wav windows open at once and alt/tab thru them. very convenient. I really don't understand why they did away with that. The new dock bar thingy looks like it might be sort of like that but only one wav at a time. Maybe the screen sets will make it possible. 

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1