Gargle oddities

Author
Jyri T.
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 280
2010/11/21 14:52:31 (permalink)

Gargle oddities

Just to inform y'all about an odd problem I had and resolved.

I was wondering why the sound started 'gargling' in a project. It would play fine first but after stopping and restarting the guitar sounds g-g-g-g-g-gargly.

Finally I was able to pinpoint the problem on the guitar track to the Sonitus delay and the side-chained Sonalksis compressor. (I don't know if the brand names make any difference here.)

The delay was preceding the compressor, which was side-chain-driven by a vocal track. If the delay was first, it'd get all messed up. If I changed the order of these plug-ins, everything was peachy-keen.

Since it did no difference as far as the sound was concerned (in this case), I just changed the order of the plug-ins.

Maybe you'll run into a similar situation and this will help you.

5 Replies Related Threads

Rski
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re:Gargle oddities 2010/11/21 15:19:35 (permalink)
    I had similar audio sounds similar to what you described, switching the order will do the trick. This strangely showed up when 8.5 was installed, kind of gasp at first, with a few projects, a quick grab with the mouse cured.

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Gargle oddities 2010/11/21 21:19:08 (permalink)
    Disable the Listerine plug-in.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re:Gargle oddities 2010/11/21 21:58:22 (permalink)
    It may be the Scope plugin!

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:Gargle oddities 2010/11/21 23:01:22 (permalink)
    Jyri T.

Just to inform y'all about an odd problem I had and resolved.

I was wondering why the sound started 'gargling' in a project. It would play fine first but after stopping and restarting the guitar sounds g-g-g-g-g-gargly.

Finally I was able to pinpoint the problem on the guitar track to the Sonitus delay and the side-chained Sonalksis compressor. (I don't know if the brand names make any difference here.)

The delay was preceding the compressor, which was side-chain-driven by a vocal track. If the delay was first, it'd get all messed up. If I changed the order of these plug-ins, everything was peachy-keen.

Since it did no difference as far as the sound was concerned (in this case), I just changed the order of the plug-ins.

Maybe you'll run into a similar situation and this will help you.

It likely was happening because the compressor would have been trying to bring up the fading delay signals/sounds to the levels you had set the compressor to.  By changing the order you then are putting the delay on the compressed signal/sounds which would likely be the effect you would want. 
    Jyri T.
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re:Gargle oddities 2010/11/22 01:31:21 (permalink)
    lorneyb2

It likely was happening because the compressor would have been trying to bring up the fading delay signals/sounds to the levels you had set the compressor to.  By changing the order you then are putting the delay on the compressed signal/sounds which would likely be the effect you would want. 

No, it was an artifact that has probably to do with the latency (compensation). It's hard to describe the sound in writing --- but what you're talking about, is definitely NOT it.

Jyri

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1