Midi wont record

Author
ed tamboni
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
2010/11/21 16:37:06 (permalink)

Midi wont record

I'm trying to record Session Drummer 3 to a track.

I have the groove running, I arm the midi track and hit record but it doesnt record anything...

Someone said select both tracks and then bounce-to-track-  how do you 'select' a track?

What I'd like to do is run SessionDRummer3 - and have all the drums record to their own audio track - I just got Sonar 8.5 Producer a few days ago...

Can someone give me the steps to do this?

Thanks,
Ed

3 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Midi wont record 2010/11/21 17:20:50 (permalink)
    With soft synths your only record the MIDI data and not the actual audio.
    Do you see any MIDI data? Maybe a trip through the tutorials will help you tremendously, since your very new to sonar
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Midi wont record 2010/11/21 19:37:27 (permalink)
    As CJ said, you would need MIDI data first to be able to bounce the track to an audio track.
    I've very little experience with Session drummer but I believe it is just playing a pattern AKA drum machine style.

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Midi wont record 2010/11/21 21:32:02 (permalink)
    "I'm trying to record Session Drummer 3 to a track.

I have the groove running, I arm the midi track and hit record but it doesnt record anything... "

And it won't. Unlike salmon, MIDI data does not swim upstream.
    The MIDI track feeds data to the synth. The synth cannot record to the MIDI track, it only responds to the data in it.
    When you play the patterns in SD3 (or 2), the data is being processed internally.
    You need to drag the patterns from SD3 to your MIDI track
    Watch the Get Your Groove On With Session Drummer 3 video here.
    http://www.cakewalk.com/P.../session%20drummer%203
    The key is at 1:55.
    Robin does it quickly, but whichever pattern you have selected can be dragged to your MIDI track from the note icon.
    You can drag different patterns into your track for variation.
    Once the patterns are in your MIDI track, you can manipute them pretty much at will.
    When you hit Play in the Sonar transport, the MIDI track will feed the pattern data to the synth(SD3).
    Be sure to click the Stop button in the SD3 GUI, or you will hear the patterns from the MIDI track AND the currently selected pattern in SD3.
    To have each drum play to its own track, it's best to insert SD3 with All Synth Audio Outputs.
    You can then direct each drum to a specific audio track within the synths framework.

Watch the video, and as CJ suggested, do the tutorials, and read through the SD3 help files
    Once you understand how it works, it is very easy to use..

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1