no midi in one project file

Author
mysticalfairy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2010/11/21 23:36:22 (permalink)

no midi in one project file

Hello,
   I have began working on an old project file and whenever I select one of the midi vst plugins it does not seem to recognize my midi keyboard.  I hit the keyboard and no sound comes out.  It worked fine the last time I worked on the file.  If I open up a new project while this one is open and select the same soft synths, everything plays fine.  If I try to import any new soft synths in to this project, it does not work either.  I can't figure out why this one particular project file is not recognizing midi.  It won't let me step record or anything, so it doesn't seem to be recognizing the midi input, yet my midi is setup fine because all of my other project files work fine with my midi rig.  Any ideas?

7 Replies Related Threads

lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:no midi in one project file 2010/11/22 00:05:14 (permalink)
    First thing to check is is the Input Echo turned on for the track you are working on and pointed to your midi device.

If above is yes and the meters are bouncing when you press a key.  Then check your output routing.
    The easiest place to check this is in console view. Check in the Synth audio ouput track at the bottom if the box right below the fader says -none-  left click that box and choose your sound card's output.  Or go to Tracks - Property - Outputs and in the Audio box direct it to your sound card.

(If the problem is as in the second paragraph what could have happened is opening Sonar with your sound card turned off or inaccessible and then saving the project.  All the audio outputs could get set to none)
    mysticalfairy
    Re:no midi in one project file 2010/11/22 22:06:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.  I checked and input echo is definitely on.  I tried switching it from "auto thru" and "on".  In both instances, I see no bounce.  Actually, I see the meters bounce in one of the 8 midi tracks, but that track does not play either.  I also, don't notice any difference in the settings of that one track versus the other midi tracks. It does bounce in all midi tracks of all other project files and in new files I open. 

The output routing seems fine.  I say that because the same project I am trying to play has midi tracks already recorded a while ago.  The midi in those tracks plays back fine and the soft synths respond and play sound fine.  I just can't record any new midi on them.  I can't play the sounds from the keyboard any longer.  So, it definitely seems to be an input problem as opposed to an output problem.  Any other suggestions?
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:no midi in one project file 2010/11/22 22:30:16 (permalink)
    What is your MIDI interface?

Check Options-MIDI Devices and make sure your MIDI interface or keyboard is selected as input and output. Be sure to click the Move Checked Devices to the Top button.

On your MIDI track make sure you have the MIDI interface selected as the Output and the Input Echo button should be purple. When you play, the MIDI data is basically going to be routed through the computer back to the keyboard when using an external keyboard synth. If you're using softsynths, you need to have a softsynth in the synthrack and set the output of the MIDI track to the softsynth. In that case the output will come from your soundcard.

post edited by daveny5 - 2010/11/22 22:32:00

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    mysticalfairy
    Re:no midi in one project file 2010/11/22 23:12:48 (permalink)
    I am using an mbox 3, windows 7, and cakewalk sonar 8.5.  The combination works flawlessly in all of my other projects.  It seems like some esoteric function, that is not common, has gotten altered in this particular project file.....

If I open options-midi (both in this project or any other), it shows "mbox external" as being selected for both inputs and outputs.    I tried clicking "move checked devices to top", but it did nothing.  They were already the top lines anyway.

The midi interface is selected as the input (selected as omni, but I also tried selected channels 1-16) and the output is selected as the soft synth.

Any other ideas?  Although, so far, nothing has been mentioned that I hadn't thought to check before, I appreciate the brain storming!
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:no midi in one project file 2010/11/22 23:40:42 (permalink)
    Maybe your keyboard is not sending MIDI. Look at the little keyboard icon in the system tray. Does the left LED blink when you play the keyboard? If not, the keyboard is not sending or its not connected to the interface.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    mysticalfairy
    Re:no midi in one project file 2010/11/23 10:03:02 (permalink)
    No, I know my keyboard is sending midi, because it works in all other project files, but I just put the little keyboard icon on my system tray and  sure enough it lights up when I play......

Thanks for the help!  Anyone have any other ideas?  I'm quite sure it is some sort of setting that can be defined per project or per track, as opposed to a global or hardware issue.  Its just so weird.  I've been using cakewalk for 6 years and never experienced anything like this.
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:no midi in one project file 2010/11/23 10:41:57 (permalink)

In both instances, I see no bounce.

If your velocity offset control is 0, you might get no meter movement, and no sound. But in addition to the velocity indicator, there is a small indicator at the end of the MIDI meter that registers output, whether the events have velocity or not. If that is not showing activity, either the echo setting is still not right, or the input is set to the wrong port or to a specific channel (i.e. not Omni) that does not match what your controller is sending.

post edited by brundlefly - 2010/11/23 10:43:08
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1