Studio Instruments - Adding Patterns

Author
bschelew
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/11/24 10:23:22 (permalink)

Studio Instruments - Adding Patterns

I'm using Guitar Tracks Pro 4 on Windows 7. It includes Studio Instruments. (Just bought it and am fooling around trying to figure things out.)

I've recorded a midi 12 bar electric piano track (using my midi keyboard) and from reading the forum, I understand that I can put this .mid file into the 'patterns'' folder and it will show up on the electric piano list. A few questions...
1. Where is the patterns folder? I did a search on my entire C drive and it never showed up. I also looked in all the Cakewalk folders I could find (which were all over the place I might add.) Is this a hidden folder perhaps? And if so, how does one show hidden folders in Windows 7? (I know how to do this in XP but can't figure it out in 7.)

2. Once my 12 bar electric piano track does make its way into the patterns folder and shows up in the list, does this mean I'll be able to tweak it just like I can with all the other patterns. That'd be great!

3. Is there a place on the web where people upload their patterns (drums, electric piano, strings, etc.) and share them with everyone? The Line 6 Guitar Port community site has a similar thing where members rate the uploaded tone they've tweaked, can comment on it and download it and ultimately add it to their Guitar Port preset list. If this doesn't exist for Studio Instruments and others think this would be a great thing to do, maybe we should let Cakewalk know and they could program the site. Just an idea.

4. I've got Groove Agent 3 which has excellent drum grooves. I can save a groove I've tinkered with to a .mid file on my hard drive. I presume I could also add this to the patterns folder of the drum instrument right and then see it on the list? That'd also be really good. 

Bernie

6 Replies Related Threads

bschelew
    Re:Studio Instruments - Adding Patterns 2010/11/24 18:31:20 (permalink)
    Well I found the patterns folder...it was a hidden folder alright. For those interested, to show hidden folder in Windows 7 its located in Organize:Folder and Search Options:View Tab.

The Patterns folder is C:/Program Data/Cakewalk/Studio Instruments/SI electric Piano.

As a test, I put a drum loop .mid file I had kicking around and put it in the SI DrumKit:Patterns:Jazz and Blues folder but it didn't show up in the patterns pull down. Anyone know why? Maybe it has something to do with Standard vs Format 0  midi file formats. I'll check that out.

B    
    bschelew
    Re:Studio Instruments - Adding Patterns 2010/12/01 21:40:38 (permalink)
    I've tried to add patterns to all the Studio Instruments...saving in Format 0 and Format 1, but the .mid files don't show up in the Studio Instruments list after I put them in the respective patterns folder.

Is there nobody out there that knows how to do this?
    jw_hd
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Studio Instruments - Adding Patterns 2010/12/14 14:39:57 (permalink)
    bschelew

I've tried to add patterns to all the Studio Instruments...saving in Format 0 and Format 1, but the .mid files don't show up in the Studio Instruments list after I put them in the respective patterns folder.

Is there nobody out there that knows how to do this?

How to add patterns to Cakewalk Studio Instruments

Example for adding patterns to SI Drums:
    1. Open “C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments\SI-Drum Kit\Patterns” in Explorer.
    2. In another session of Explorer, open the directory where your .mid patterns are stored.
    3. Copy the directory or files to the “C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments\SI-Drum Kit\Patterns” folder.
    4. Open Sonar and launch SI Drum Kit. Click in the left hand pane where you select your patterns. Press F5 and the new patterns should show up in the selection pane.
    You may have to restart Sonar or the Studio Instrument to see the change---don't forget F5.

One way to know that your .mid files are available for your next session is to look at the "C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments\SI-Drum Kit\Patterns" folder and find the patterns.lst file.  Look at the Date and Time of the file.  The patterns.lst file will have the date and time that it was modified i.e. today's date and the time it was modified.

BTW, you can also drag and drop your .mid files from Explorer straight onto the Studio Instruments pattern selection tile. It should show up w/o F5 but just in case...... 

Hope this helps!

relpomiraculous
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:Studio Instruments - Adding Patterns 2011/05/29 17:58:13 (permalink)
    Bumped as I was looking for this very question and answer today.

I would buy a good pattern add on pack for the drums and bass Si instruments...anyone with any suggestions?

Sonar X2 64 bit - Win 7 Pro 64 bit - Intel Core i7 870 - 8 gigs of ram - HP 3130 desktop
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Studio Instruments - Adding Patterns 2011/05/30 08:40:54 (permalink)
    I would buy keyboard patterns.  I've suggested this via feature requests in the past.  This product could be the EZkeyboards or EZbass in the market if they would take the ball and run with it instead of pushing the product to the side and let it wither on the vine.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re:Studio Instruments - Adding Patterns 2011/05/30 10:55:23 (permalink)
    Mod Bod:
    This product could be the EZkeyboards or EZbass in the market if they would take the ball and run with it instead of pushing the product to the side and let it wither on the vine.

This is exactly what I thought when the product first came out, shame they haven't stayed on it!

Tom

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1