is there a way to attach a lyric sheet to a mic boom?

Author
syntheticpop
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 688
2010/11/25 15:28:13 (permalink)

is there a way to attach a lyric sheet to a mic boom?

I'm looking for an alternative way to place a lyric sheet somewhere besides on a music stand because there's no room for one.  I thought about attaching it to a mic boom but don't know if they sell any special clip for it.  What are some good places to put a sheet of lyric onto if it's not ideal to attach it onto a boom.  I thought about getting an iPad just to have my lyrics typed in and having it stand on my desk, but that's a costly way me thinks.

13 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:is there a way to attach a lyric sheet to a mic boom? 2010/11/25 15:42:34 (permalink)
    Duct Tape?

Seriously, I have pondered this issue as well. My studio is a bit on the dark side.... someday, If I build a dedicated studio, I will have some lights...... but laying the lyrics on the music stand presents 2 issues..... it's too dark, and the lyrics are hard to read with these old eyes....

A solution I have come up with is to prop the lyric sheet on a shelf in front of my stereo, and use a blues slide to keep it from sliding off the shelf...and it happens to be right under the light that's clipped to the shelf above it.... in the photo below, you can see the stereo and the light...I just prop the page right there. I will generally hold the mic in my hand as I sing.....

another solution I use.... is to hold the lyric sheet in my hand.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re:is there a way to attach a lyric sheet to a mic boom? 2010/11/25 15:55:16 (permalink)
    Memorize them...and it's free.
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:is there a way to attach a lyric sheet to a mic boom? 2010/11/25 15:56:25 (permalink)
    sticking them to the mic stand will leave you in a poor physical position for singing (you'll be focussing down).  Behind the mic is best, so you'll be more inclined to project and your torso and head will be aligned.
    Can you tape them to the wall somehow?  Corkboard maybe?

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:is there a way to attach a lyric sheet to a mic boom? 2010/11/25 17:39:52 (permalink)
    There are products that will let you put sheet music, etc, on a mic stand.

Like this

this

or this.

There are also document clips that attach to your computer monitor

Like this.

I used to use a document clip on my old CRT monitor and it worked great for holding up sheets of paper right next to the screen..

spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re:is there a way to attach a lyric sheet to a mic boom? 2010/11/25 18:06:19 (permalink)
    Until you do memorize those lyrics...here.
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:is there a way to attach a lyric sheet to a mic boom? 2010/11/25 21:01:09 (permalink)
    They make a mic stand attachment for an iPad so you can use it for lyrics or music:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/04/iklip-puts-your-ipad-on-a-mic-stand-steven-tyler-drapery-sold-s/
    post edited by guitartrek - 2010/11/25 21:02:51
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:is there a way to attach a lyric sheet to a mic boom? 2010/11/26 16:01:49 (permalink)
    I generally avoid having lyric sheets anywhere near a mic. They'll either force you to look down while singing (already noted above) or may even reflect sound back to the mic. Not to mention reading lyrics while singing may compromise getting the best possible performance, because you're essentially multi-tasking, and you should be focused 100% on singing.

Memorize them, or just do a few lines at a time if you can't, that always works....or hang a chalk board or something on a facing wall so you can write them very large and read them from a distance.  
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:is there a way to attach a lyric sheet to a mic boom? 2010/11/26 16:49:29 (permalink)
    How about using a Teleprompter like Obama does?  It is at eye level so you don't look down.  It is transparent so the audience can still see you.  It is angled down so your voice doesn't reflect back to the mic.  It's perfect!
    Norrie
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    Re:is there a way to attach a lyric sheet to a mic boom? 2010/11/26 21:08:33 (permalink)
    syntheticpop

I'm looking for an alternative way to place a lyric sheet somewhere besides on a music stand because there's no room for one.  I thought about attaching it to a mic boom but don't know if they sell any special clip for it.  What are some good places to put a sheet of lyric onto if it's not ideal to attach it onto a boom.  I thought about getting an iPad just to have my lyrics typed in and having it stand on my desk, but that's a costly way me thinks.

If you were thinking I pad and theres enough room on your desk then theres loads of options......

Second monitor or 3rd ? Instead of paying for an Ipad?

How about a clipboard ? and stick that on your desk with something behind it to hold it up ?

I sure wouldnt be buying a Ipad for reading lyrics from

Unless your looking for an excuse to buy one :P if so go for it ;)

We can never have enough toys haha

But yeah what guitar hacker said Duct Tape is the way to go print it and stick it on

I use a SE Reflection filter.... Any of you guys ever tryed to read lyrics while useing one ? Haha Its imposable !!!!!

I juat have to do what bronzo and spacey are saying and memmorise them or at worst sing lines at a time

Its digital after all so you can keep going for the best take :D

Just my opinion though

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Slugbaby
    Re:is there a way to attach a lyric sheet to a mic boom? 2010/11/27 08:04:13 (permalink)
    Another reason to memorize...

I read somewhere that before recording the last U2 album, Bono was complaining to someone (i think Chrissie Hynde) that his recorded vocal tracks were always missing the "excitement" that he hears elsewhere.  She suggested that he rehearse the vocal tracks with recorded instrumental, mimicking performing live.  This way, the elocution and feel of "live excitement" would be there instead of the rigid perfection of a studio atmosphere.

i'm trying this theory on my current project.  The music is done, i'm just heavily rehearsing the vocals and trying to perform them like there's an audience.  Although I'm not quite at the "wink at the cute brunette everytime her boyfriend looks away" stage of comfort.  That's when I'll record.

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Norrie
    Re:is there a way to attach a lyric sheet to a mic boom? 2010/11/27 08:35:47 (permalink)
    Slugbaby

Another reason to memorize...

I read somewhere that before recording the last U2 album, Bono was complaining to someone (i think Chrissie Hynde) that his recorded vocal tracks were always missing the "excitement" that he hears elsewhere.  She suggested that he rehearse the vocal tracks with recorded instrumental, mimicking performing live.  This way, the elocution and feel of "live excitement" would be there instead of the rigid perfection of a studio atmosphere.

i'm trying this theory on my current project.  The music is done, i'm just heavily rehearsing the vocals and trying to perform them like there's an audience.  Although I'm not quite at the "wink at the cute brunette everytime her boyfriend looks away" stage of comfort.  That's when I'll record.

........Sturgleing to hold back with comment about Bono....... Must hold back........ aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Slugbaby
    Re:is there a way to attach a lyric sheet to a mic boom? 2010/11/27 13:29:57 (permalink)
    Norrie

........Sturgleing to hold back with comment about Bono....... Must hold back........ aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Aside from the "who," it's a technique that makes sense.
    As for Bono, i quite liked him until seeing the U2 show last year.  I lost A LOT of respect when he thanked Universal Music, along with the support crew and Bishop Tutu...

Norrie
    Re:is there a way to attach a lyric sheet to a mic boom? 2010/11/27 15:43:37 (permalink)
    Slugbaby

Norrie

Aside from the "who," it's a technique that makes sense.
    As for Bono, i quite liked him until seeing the U2 show last year.  I lost A LOT of respect when he thanked Universal Music, along with the support crew and Bishop Tutu...

Haha

Bono rambles on about saveing the world etc global warming etc....
    But....
    Did you not hear the story about when cold play got stranded somewhere due to a prolem with there flight....

Its ok though Bono sent his "SPARE" private jet to go pick them up!!!!!

Yeah Bono you wan*er thats helping global warming

Just one of a million reasons I hate that hipocrite !!!!

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1