NEED HELP - With exporting to audio file...

Author
Ji
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2010/11/27 10:01:43 (permalink)

NEED HELP - With exporting to audio file...

Hi, I recently bought my midi-to-usb cable. And got a casio px310 digital piano. And the cable says UM-1G as both input and output, when I plug a sound system on it, in the outputs, there is a 'microsoft GS wave table synth' in the midi devices list. Alright, to sum it all up:

1. I got my input/output plugged on my digital piano, and the USB straigth into my laptop.
2. I did follow instructions on how to get started etc with the sound setup etc.
3. Now I can record (big R arm button) on a midi track on which I set my piano on.
4. Magic! I see all the dots forming into the track as I play along.
5. I stop everything, I listen to it, okay that's cool, am proud.
6. So I decide to export it to an mp3 file since I want to make my friend listen to it.
7. And that is where all my problems are.

Problem number 1; When I export, I either get that the file cannot be read by windows media player, and when it can, there is no sound, absolutely nothing I hear from the file I just created.

Problem number 2; The sound seems to be coming only from the piano, as it doesnt seem to want to play on the laptop own speaker system when lets say I just hit play.

MY OBJECTIVE: is to make a mp3, file I can listen too from the music I just payed and recorded.
I've looked many many threads before coming to make that one. But in vain, am kinda desperate now.

11 Replies Related Threads

Ji
    Re:NEED HELP - With exporting to audio file... 2010/11/27 18:43:48 (permalink)
    Okay, if my question is stupid, at least tell me.

Am just that kid with crazy talents that never touched a program and even dared before to make a studio at home. Or at least, tell me what am doing wrong, lol.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:NEED HELP - With exporting to audio file... 2010/11/27 18:58:54 (permalink)
    You should select the tracks you want exported... double click a few times and it will select ALL the tracks in the project, or click the midi source and hold the control as you ALSO click the track with the synth audio output in it.

Now, it's FILE> EXPORT >AUDIO > and a box pops up. select 16 bits,  44.1k sample rate,   RIFF WAVE, and I always select the preset WHAT YOU HEAR.

Select the destination, name the file and click OK.

That wave should be burnable and playable on ALL players.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Ji
    Re:NEED HELP - With exporting to audio file... 2010/11/27 22:07:56 (permalink)
    Nope, it still doesnt play.. wow, I don't understand. I tried all what you told me step by step, every track were highlighted yellow, and brown on the right. When I press play i can hear the music playing through my piano. But when I export it, it never plays, always silent. Or either it gives me a corrupt file that windows encountered a problem with.

Mm am at a lost really, dude, I can do music, but I can't sonar too well, haha.

I also tried sending the file to a friend, that couldnt hear it as well.
    I have a midi-usb cable plugged both in and out into piano, and usb to laptop. When I close piano, I can't play the sound for the output of the sound seems to go directly unto the piano and not through the sound of the laptop speaker. Is it related?
    post edited by Ji - 2010/11/27 22:46:21
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:NEED HELP - With exporting to audio file... 2010/11/28 13:35:40 (permalink)
    You can not export normally if your piano is the source of the sound. In such a case you need to connect the audio out of your piano to your soundcard and record the audio in real time.

If your piano is producing the sound the Wavetable Synth has no purpose. It's a synth that is expected to produce the sound. I'm sure your piano has much better sounds than the Wavetable.

Midi is only playing instructions, it has no sound. To export you need to record the actual source of the sound. No audio cables between piano and laptop = no audio transmitted.

If you think the Wavetable sounds are good enough, you need to set the output of the midi track to the Wavetable, and then export like Guitarhacker explained.

What software are you using?? It's quite essential info! Wavetable is the poorest option. TTS-1 is a lot better, if your software includes it.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:NEED HELP - With exporting to audio file... 2010/11/28 14:45:09 (permalink)
    Yeah... I was thinking you were using a soft synth internal to the project. If you are using the external keyboard and sending your midi data to it to produce the sound.....

What I told you would not work under that circumstance. Most people here use soft synths like TTS or some other, and that will work.

to do it your way you need to send the keyboard audio to an audio track. If you have multiple tracks, playing in the midi to keyboard thing.... you really need to set up TTS as a multi channel synth...
    \
    Go to my website and look at the MC4/5 page HERE  and look down to the advanced TTS set up and see how to use TTS to play a number of different instruments at the same time.

BMI/NSAI

Ji
    Re:NEED HELP - With exporting to audio file... 2010/11/28 23:03:04 (permalink)
    Ahhh so close. ;P

Thank you for the info guys, much needed and appreciated. Gave me the extra motivation to keep going today ;) Was about to call it a day.

Ok, here's where I am now. I did your tutorials, and I haven't changed my wiring. NOW:

I can play the sound through my piano, goes right into the laptop, and from the laptop, goes right into my sound system. Now I can hear what I played through the laptop in other words instead of being played on the piano.

I can change sounds, and hear my piano playing different sounds other than the basic ones I had on it through the selection of the samples on the program. So far so good.

I tried your tutorials, doing the advanced now.
    So, I thought I had it, but then, I tried the exporting part.

And still the same, no sound coming out of the file I tried to export.

At least, you already made me resolve many issues I had. Starting to enjoy it. Its freaky playing the piano and hearing different sounds, now I know what the guy at the store meant by 'this aint going to be a piano no more, its going to be a controller'. ;P

Alright, so now its just the export thing. I called, and they saying I need a sound card external... I will but with fruity loops, I never had that, and I could save my samples, and hear them as mp3s afterward. Why can't I with sonar, that is the question.

Getting closer ;P
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:NEED HELP - With exporting to audio file... 2010/11/29 06:16:14 (permalink)
    What kind of tracks are you using? Simple instrument tracks (which are a combination of a MIDI and audio track) or a MIDI track and an audio track? In order to output to an audio file, an audio track must be used when you bounce/export to audio.

Having never used the MS Wavetable device for recording I'm not sure how this would work but it is how you can do it with softsynths like the TTS-1. Create a MIDI track with the UM-1G as its INPUT. Select the MS Wavetable device as the MIDI track's OUTPUT. Then create an AUDIO track and set the MS Wavetable device as the track's INPUT. So the data from the keyboard goes into the MIDI track, the MIDI track sends the data to the soft synth for processing, and the soft synth sends the data to the audio track so you can hear it. After you have recorded your MIDI data, select the MIDI Track and the AUDIO track and select Bounce to Track. That should result in a new audio track containing the sound of the soft synth playing your midi data.

For sure you will have better results using a good audio interface made for audio recording than you will using the audio interface built into your computer.

What version of Sonar software are you using?
    post edited by Chappel - 2010/11/29 06:42:19
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:NEED HELP - With exporting to audio file... 2010/11/29 07:45:15 (permalink)
    You need to record the audio ( coming from the piano) in real time on an audio track in your project. Then you can export it.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:NEED HELP - With exporting to audio file... 2010/11/29 08:32:17 (permalink)
    I want to say there is some sort of issue with using a wavetable synth... but I don't recall exactly what it is. Something to do with exporting IIRC....

The fact that you are able to get the computer to play the music is good. TTS was an early favorite of mine. Playing with it taught me so much about midi and channels and all sorts of things.

The advanced tutorial show how to use ONE TTS to play up to 16 different instruments.. in the example I use less to keep it simple.

The next step is to look at the way the computer plays the music. It's OK to use the wavetable synth but you really should be looking for a better way to play the music.

In your audio devices, do you have any other options showing besides the wave table? If so, I'm thinking it's probably the computer soundcard..... if so try selecting it, use the MME driver and run the wave profiler in cake again. see if you get sound that way.

When you select tracks to export.... such as when exporting the TTS project I set up in that demo..... you must select at least ONE audio track in the group. That means the synth output track where TTS is located. Selecting just the midi tracks will not work.

Change the output from wave table to your soundcard/other option, and try exporting again.

The best option when working with any CAKEWALK product is to invest the money to buy a decent external midi/audio interface that connects to the computer by USB. Visit a higher end music store with a professional audio/recording department and talk to the people there. Expect to invest $100 to $200 (USD) to get a decent interface that lets you record and use the ASIO drivers, which are the better driver to use on music related stuff.

The whole point is... you're progressing, so keep at it. You will eventually get it solved.

BMI/NSAI

Ji
    Re:NEED HELP - With exporting to audio file... 2010/12/01 20:29:44 (permalink)
    Cakewalk TTS works fine thank you :)
    And the exporting works like a charm now.

I maybe did a mistake, I was trying to play the file, without sound, but I think that it was related to the fact that I had sonar still on. When I close it, I can listen to my file.

For sure, I entered few notes, basic stuff, but now I can assume that I can tap on my keyboard and record (as far as my learning is concerned) haha. For the rest, the synth, words like that, beats me, totally newbie.

But thanks alot for the info.

In fact, I want to do electro hip hop kind of music. All I have as pre-requirments is knowing how to keyboard well, creating melodies. Only I really don't know what I should be looking for, or googling at, lol. But hey, its a first :) THANKS.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:NEED HELP - With exporting to audio file... 2010/12/02 08:56:05 (permalink)
    Ji..... glad you got it working good.

You will discover, this is a journey, not necessarily a destination. So much to learn along the way.

Have fun, and post your stuff in the songs forum. That is one way to get multiple ears and thoughts on how to improve your craft.

BMI/NSAI

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1