how to make a glissando with cakewalk pro audio 9.0

Author
Edgardo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 32
2010/11/28 12:19:48 (permalink)

how to make a glissando with cakewalk pro audio 9.0

hello and good morning everybody. i would like to know if is possible and how to make a glissando with a brass sound from C4 to C3. thanks a lot for your help and have a nice week.

edgardo.

2 Replies Related Threads

larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    Re:how to make a glissando with cakewalk pro audio 9.0 2010/11/30 19:08:11 (permalink)
    Edgardo,  Assuming you are using midi, then it is possible to use the Pitch Wheel midi events to make a glissando for an octave or even more.  First you must be able to set the pitch wheel range on the synth you are using to make the sounds.  The default setting for the synths I've used is too small to cover an entire octave.  On my synth, the pitch wheel range (called bend range) can be set to 0 through 24 where 0 gives no bend, 12 gives +/- one octave and 24 gives +/- two octaves.  The physical pitch wheel on the synth can be moved left and right of center.  With the bend range set to 12, center is a bend of 0, full left is a bend of -12 (an octave down) and full right is a bend of +12 (an octave up).  I have no clue how this might work on your synth, especially if it is a software synth.  In any case, you need to figure out how to set the pitch bend range to get a full 2 octave range.

Then you need to be able to enter pitch wheel events into the track where you need them.  In PA9 this is most easily done in the piano roll view in the pane below the display of midi notes.  After making the pane visible, select Wheel events from the drop down box near the top of the piano roll window.  With wheel selected, the vertical range in the lower pane should be -8192 to +8192.  -8192 corresponds to the wheel full left, 0 is the wheel center position with no bend, and +8192 corresponds to the wheel full right.  With the bend range set to 12, full left becomes down one octave and full right becomes up one octave.

You will need to draw (or insert) wheel events running from -8191 to 0 (the end of 0 must be exact or the wheel will be left off center and the following notes will be bent up or down a bit.  If you want gliss up to a C3, then make sure you have a C3 note which covers the entire gliss range.  Then using the line drawing tool near the top of the piano roll window, slowly draw the gliss you want starting and ending when you want and covering the exact range of -8192 to 0.  Note that the coordinates of the line drawing tool are displayed near the upper left of the window so you can get the tool positioned exactly where you want it.

If you don't want the gliss to be a straight line, you can use the Draw (pencil) tool to draw in any kind of curve you want.  The most important thing is that the curve or line end at 0.

So, yes, it can be done but it's not exactly easy.  Good luck!

--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    Edgardo
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re:how to make a glissando with cakewalk pro audio 9.0 2010/12/02 09:36:54 (permalink)

hello Mr. Larry, good morning and thank you very much for answer my question. I follow your indications and I was able to make the glissando. I tried the two ways and everything is fine. I really apreciate your help and the only thing I can say again is thank you very much. Greetings and have a nice week.

Edgardo.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1