Session Drummer 2

Author
gtrshop
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
2010/11/28 14:17:18 (permalink)

Session Drummer 2

Tweaking Project: Drums

Due to recent Carpal Tunnel surgery, I've had to hang up the guitar for a while, so instead of missing out I have decided to take some of my recoup time and freshen up some projects that are mostly complete.

In an existing project I have a MIDI drum track from days before Session Drummer where I used samples on a card, which at the time was very good. In cleaning house and deciding to keep this project, I've inserted S/D as the drum sounds - which of course sounds much better. For the first time today I noticed that when I click on (for example) the hihat graphic within S/D and I click in different locations of the graphic I get wonderful variation in the hihat.

In my project I've used both open and closed hihat sounds (MIDI notes) and now I hear the limitation of that. How do I...

- cause S/D to play the alternate sound (pedal hat for instance) listed under the instruments of the hihat (right click)

and then...

- how do I get these variations desribed above into my project (remember drums are an existing midi file)

Thanks,
Steve

7 Replies Related Threads

brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Session Drummer 2 2010/11/28 16:56:40 (permalink)
    When you left-click on different parts of the drum icons/pads, you get velocity-based sample-switching and loudness variations of whichever kit piece is currently selected (higher on the pad is higher velocity). In your track, you get these velocity variations either by recording with a keyboard or drumkit controller that sends velocity, or by manually editing velocities in the PRV or Step Sequencer.

The alternate "articulations"  or versions of each kit piece are triggered by different MIDI Note numbers. You can see the mapping by right-clicking on the icon, or by looking up the mapping in the Help File that you get by hitting F1 with Focus in the SD2 interface. If you open up the PRV of a MIDI or Instrument track that is pointing at SD2, you should also see the kit piece names in the lefthand pane that normally shows a piano keyboard when not using a drum map.

You can right-click a pad and select which piece will be auditioned when you left-click the pad, but to trigger that sound with your MIDI track, you need to use the corresponding note number, regardless of what's currently selected to be auditioned by the pad.

Hope that helps.
    gtrshop
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:Session Drummer 2 2010/11/28 18:23:22 (permalink)
    brundlefly

When you left-click on different parts of the drum icons/pads, you get velocity-based sample-switching and loudness variations of whichever kit piece is currently selected (higher on the pad is higher velocity). In your track, you get these velocity variations either by recording with a keyboard or drumkit controller that sends velocity, or by manually editing velocities in the PRV or Step Sequencer.

The alternate "articulations"  or versions of each kit piece are triggered by different MIDI Note numbers. You can see the mapping by right-clicking on the icon, or by looking up the mapping in the Help File that you get by hitting F1 with Focus in the SD2 interface. If you open up the PRV of a MIDI or Instrument track that is pointing at SD2, you should also see the kit piece names in the lefthand pane that normally shows a piano keyboard when not using a drum map.

You can right-click a pad and select which piece will be auditioned when you left-click the pad, but to trigger that sound with your MIDI track, you need to use the corresponding note number, regardless of what's currently selected to be auditioned by the pad.

Hope that helps.

OK, I didn't know that was velocity variation. Editing each event seems tedious, is there a was I can record velocity info from real time and apply it to my current track - can this be done one drum element at a time?)

I figured that the vaiation sounds were different midi not values. I didn't see them listed on the left side of piano roll, so wasn't sure. Again changing one note at a time seems painful, is there a way to change many or all simultaneously?

Thanks for the clarification above.

Steve
    planetearth
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 763
    Re:Session Drummer 2 2010/11/29 00:53:54 (permalink)
    You can draw the velocity curve you want for the drum pattern in the Piano Roll View (PRV) or edit the velocity for each note manually in the PRV or the Event List View. Obviously, this works best if you have a four- or eight-bar pattern that repeats. Once you create your velocity pattern, you can simply repeat it.

If you want to draw a velocity curve in PRV, you need to use the Controller Pane while you're in the PRV mode. Press "C" on your PC keyboard to view the Controller Pane.

SD2 allows you to change the sound you hear for each "instrument". Just right-click on the instrument and choose a different one. If the kit has a sample for that instrument, you'll hear it. If you want to change what's played back from MIDI, just select the note you want to change, and SHIFT + drag any one of the notes to a new note. (This will move ALL of the notes to a new note, without changing the timing.) For example, to change

Steve

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Session Drummer 2 2010/11/29 07:00:10 (permalink)
    gtrshop

...Again changing one note at a time seems painful, is there a way to change many or all simultaneously?

Thanks for the clarification above.

Steve

The Cakewalk MIDI tools have some pretty nice options for MIDI editing. Process>Midi Fx>Cakewalk FX>Velocity.

The Select By Filter feature is very useful for homing in on very specific MIDI data ranges.

The Piano Roll View has a nice feature where you can select notes. If you press the middle C, for example, on the keyboard on the left it will select ALL the notes on middle C in the track. So if you wanted to edit just a kick drum, just click the note they are on and you can edit just those. Using the MIDI fx you can make them all the same note, limit the highest velocity, raise all the volumes, randomize, etc.
    Chappel
    Re:Session Drummer 2 2010/11/29 12:16:13 (permalink)
    gtrshop

- how do I get these variations described above into my project (remember drums are an existing midi file)

Thanks,
    Steve

One thing that might help is to have the PRV use the Session Drummer 2 drum map. I haven't done this very much but it seems a good way to see which instrument and articulation is on which note.

In the output section of the midi track you are sending to SD2, instead of selecting SD2, select New Drum Map. A list of included drum maps will open... scroll down to Session Drummer 2 and select it. Now the PRV for the midi track will show only the instruments and articulations that SD2 can play, while still outputting the midi data to SD2. In the PRV, double clicking any drum name on the left side of the window will open a Map Properties box with info on that note. Click Map Manager in that box to open a list of all the instruments and articulations available.

I think I have that right. I just did it and it seems to work OK. If anyone has a correction or easier way to do it I hope they will offer it so we can both learn something.
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Session Drummer 2 2010/11/29 12:51:54 (permalink)
    One thing that might help is to have the PRV use the Session Drummer 2 drum map.

This shouldn't really be necessary. SONAR should show Session Drummer's mapping in the PRV automatically when the output of a MIDI track is assigned to SD. Same goes for other drum synths like BFD that report their mapping to SONAR.

Chappel
    Re:Session Drummer 2 2010/11/29 13:48:51 (permalink)
    brundlefly

One thing that might help is to have the PRV use the Session Drummer 2 drum map.

This shouldn't really be necessary. SONAR should show Session Drummer's mapping in the PRV automatically when the output of a MIDI track is assigned to SD. Same goes for other drum synths like BFD that report their mapping to SONAR.

You are probably right, but the two seem to have some differences. Like, in the normal PRV there are three notes for the high hat. In the new drum map there are 5. There is probably a reason for these differences I am not aware of. My apologies for obfuscating the issue.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1