USB/MIDI cable

Author
lucaskk
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2010/11/29 21:59:01 (permalink)

USB/MIDI cable

Hello.
I want to use my keyboard medeli m10 (cheap) on my pc. But i have a problem/question. The -midi out/midi in- in the keyboard  is an usb B. So i bought an adapter. Then I connected it to my pc via usb a - usb a to my onboard soundcard. The problem is that I get  huge latency(1/4secs or more). I guess the problem is my soundcard... So... I have a digi002, it has the normal midi inputs(5pins)1 midi in 2 out. Should i buy a midi usb cable? I ask this because i think the midi usb cable usually goes from keyboard (5pins) to the soundcard usb. What i want to do is the inverse. From keyboard(usb) to the digi002 soundcard (5pin midi in/out). Will it work?
thanks.

9 Replies Related Threads

RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:USB/MIDI cable 2010/11/29 22:05:48 (permalink)
    Are you saying that your audio interface provides a spare USB port?

Otherwise, if the MIDI interface on your keyboard is USB, you must connect it directly to a USB port on your computer (or a USB hub). The only way you could connect your keyboard to your audio interface is if the keyboard and the interface both have standard 5-pin MIDI ports.  

BTW, what is the adapter you're talking about? Also, you mentioned a MIDI/USB cable. Are you  talking about something like the MidiSport Uno? That would be useful if your keyboard has standard 5-pin ports and you have no MIDI interface. 
    post edited by RogerS - 2010/11/29 22:16:03

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    lucaskk
    Re:USB/MIDI cable 2010/11/29 22:21:10 (permalink)
    The adapter changes the USB B female to an USB A female. So i use a standar usb cable (A male- A male) and connect it to the pc's usb.
    Maybe i didn't explain it well(not so good english) I connect from keyboard usb to pc usb, so im using the onboard soundcard. My digi002 doesnt have  usb, just 5pin ports.
    So, there's no way to use my digi002 with this keyboard? What a shame.
    The latency i get connecting it directly to my pc makes it impossible to record. I've read some people say that i should install asio4all drivers, i install it but i can't select them in sonar 6. I can select ASIO only.
    Thanks for response

Yes, like the midisport uno. Yeah that was what i thought. I have the inverse. Usb keyboard and midi interface. Crap.
    post edited by lucaskk - 2010/11/29 22:24:42
    lucaskk
    Re:USB/MIDI cable 2010/11/29 23:01:24 (permalink)
    Yay. I got almost no latency at all now.
    I selected a softh synth(cakewalk tts-1) The audio out was marked as "master" i don't know what it means with "master". But i changed it for Sigmatel(my audio driver) and i can record now.
    No need for cable : ).

bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re:USB/MIDI cable 2010/11/29 23:15:58 (permalink)
    The medeli m10 uses usb for both audio and midi. The most standard cable for USB connection of a peripheral to a PC is the male B to male A cable. Your adapter is probably not hurting anything though. That keyboard design allows it to be played by a sequencer program by midi via usb while also capturing its audio via USB.

There is no way for a PC MIDI driver & midi cables to carry the USB signals required by the medeli m10 or any other USB device, so your proposed inverted use of the USB midi adapter would not work.

But latency is usually not caused by the MIDI input path. The usual cause of latency you hear while playing is the audio output path, particularly with PC built-in sound devices and their drivers. But you want to use the digi002 for your sound output, right? There should be a way to get good latency using that, no?

The latency you hear is between what and what?

Is it when you play the keys and then hear the sound generated by your keyboard sent (by usb) thru your PC and back out through the sound card and its connected speakers? What about the speakers on the keyboard?

OR --- are you using the keyboard to trigger vst synth sounds in Sonar and they are slow to come out the PC speakers?
    OR -- are you using the keyboard to trigger the midi synth built into your PC sound card?
    OR -- are you actually using the digi002 for sound output?

Bill B
    lucaskk
    Re:USB/MIDI cable 2010/11/29 23:51:36 (permalink)
    When i play in the keyboard i hear the sound like 0,5secs later in the pc's speakers(using the pc soundcard's synth)
    Then i tried using a soft synth(tts-1)(triggering the sounds with my keyboard)  and the latency went down a lot. It's very low... but still not there.
    Right now im using MME (32-bits) audio driver with sigmatel. It's the only one that works good. When i select ASIO, i add a tts-1 but i get no sound, and no messages(using the asio digidesign drivers).
    I always use the digi002 for sound output, i mean, if i turn off digi002 i wont hear anything. But in sonar i have sigmatel selected as output. I don't understand it very well, but its the best way for now.

Thanks
    bvideo
    Re:USB/MIDI cable 2010/11/30 08:44:52 (permalink)
    You are on the right track to improving the latency (eliminating the pc soundcard synth). Next question would be how to get sound directly out of your digi002. I assume that you have already connected amp/speakers directly to it, and not through the PC sound card. Also, I assume you have tried adjusting the latency when you are using the sigmatel drivers.

This could be a topic for the Sonar (producer?) forum. Someone there will know how to get you going with the digi002. Describing the setup and audio connections will help.

Bill B

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:USB/MIDI cable 2010/11/30 09:02:20 (permalink)
    lukas... using the MME driver is probably the right one for the built in sound card.

IF you are ever able to purchase a decent external sound interface that is an AUDIO and MIDI interface, it will likely be used with ASIO drivers and at that point, the latency problem will basically disappear.

Latency is caused by the on board factory sound card's inability to process all the information in real time and get it to the speakers with no delay. Many factory cards have a very noticeable delay as you have discovered.
    Truth is, all interfaces have some sort of delay but most of the better ones can easily keep that delay to under 10ms which is good enough  since most people can not detect that short of a delay.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    lucaskk
    Re:USB/MIDI cable 2010/11/30 14:49:29 (permalink)
    I managed to lower the latency to 5,3ms. I think that's acceptable, no?
    I reinstalled Sonar6 and in the new installation i selected asio drivers, then the asio digidesign 1 as output. And it worked.
    I tried to do that before but my Sonar crashed, so i reinstalled and worked.
    Thanks everyone for the tips and all.
    bvideo
    Re:USB/MIDI cable 2010/11/30 16:53:16 (permalink)
    Yes, that's pretty good. Way to go!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1