adding effects to a clip

Author
sirenadelmar
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 132
2010/11/30 13:20:47 (permalink)

adding effects to a clip

finally all my songs are in.  in general the songs sound fine.  time to add a few effects to improve the sound.  up to a week ago i thought that effects were added to a clip from the track pane.  i use to right-click on the FX symbol, go down to cakewalk, choose reverb and add the reverb i wanted from the reverb window.  last week in one of the songs the track pane wouldn't open properly.  the sounds were what i wanted but the pane wasn't opening up, so that the FX symbol wasn't there.  so i right-clicked on the clip itself and follow the path.  the result was dramatic and much accurate than when i open from the track pane.  however, using this method poses a problem: what if i don't like what i've just done and i want to delete it?  on the track pane a little green square comes up when i use an effect.  i right-click on it and can delete what i want, but what happens when i do it directly on the clip?  or have i figured this wrongly?  (that would be a pity, it is the first thing i figured out for myself since i started using MC!!!  )

sirena del mar
post edited by sirenadelmar - 2010/11/30 13:22:08

12 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:adding effects to a clip 2010/11/30 13:50:09 (permalink)
    when you say the "track pane" do you mean the FX bin?

if you want to apply FX to the entire track you should use the FX bin to add the FX instead of adding it to each clip. 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    Re:adding effects to a clip 2010/11/30 13:57:04 (permalink)

What you are referring to is "Destructive" editing vs. "Non-destructive" editing.

Placing an effect into the FX bin does not alter the original clip, it only adds an effect when the clip is played. The waveform of the clip itself is not changed or altered. This is "Non-destructive" editing and can be reversed simply by disabling the effect or deleting it altogether.

"Applying" an effect (such as the way you described) atlers the clip itself and is referred to as "Destructive" editing because it actually changes the waveform of the clip. This type of editing can only be reversed if you use the "Undo" feature, and once you have saved and closed out of the project you will never be able to change it back even with the Undo feature. If you choose to use this method it is usually best to clone the original track, archive the original to save its integrity, and then work with the clone.

Most folks prefer to use the "Non-destructive" method of editing because it's so much easier to tweak things later if needed.

Pete

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    sirenadelmar
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 132
    Re:adding effects to a clip 2010/11/30 14:18:12 (permalink)
    Beagle, although Peter Rabbit answered my question, i would like to tell you that what i call the track pane is the rectangular window that comes up when you add a track on the left side of the track view window.  there you have the vol, pan, and the solo, mute and arm buttons, etc.  on the right side of this that i call the track pane is the FX symbol that when you right-click opens to a large selection of effects.  (i take it that you mostly work with the console view.  i don't work from that view because i never recorded anything before computers, which means that althought i had seen consoles before i have no clue as to how they work.  actually, i bought a Tascam 4 tracks casette recorder once, but i never used it because i never could figure out how.)
    post edited by sirenadelmar - 2010/11/30 14:19:25
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:adding effects to a clip 2010/11/30 14:28:26 (permalink)
    I think what Beagle was referring to was the FX bin in the Track view (Track Pane). You can add effects in the FX bin in either the Track view or the Console view, but you add the effects to the FX bin in the view.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Beagle
    Re:adding effects to a clip 2010/11/30 14:47:14 (permalink)
    tap's right, that's what I was referring to.  in MC5 it looks a little different than in MC4 and before (and different from sonar).  it's not as "intuitive" that it's an "FX bin"

pete - good to see you around - we haven't heard any new music from you lately, what's up, doc?

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:adding effects to a clip 2010/11/30 16:20:11 (permalink)
    I prefer to add an effect in an aux buss and dial up the amount i want to each track with returns. This way i can use only one reverb and get the exact same sound from each track. But sometimes different instruments need different amounts of effect.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Beagle
    Re:adding effects to a clip 2010/11/30 16:57:00 (permalink)
    actually, I do that as well for reverb, but not necessarily anything else unless I have a group that I want to add the same FX for.

and using a bus you can adjust the "SEND" to adjust the amount for each instrument or group.

Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    Re:adding effects to a clip 2010/11/30 16:57:10 (permalink)

pete - good to see you around - we haven't heard any new music from you lately, what's up, doc?

Hi Beag. I'm still making music but I seldom visit the forums anymore. I've been working to improve my skills at playing both piano and guitar and it's coming along quite nicely. I also recently purchased a mandolin and have been toying around with it as well. The music is in my soul and I suppose it's here for good.

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:adding effects to a clip 2010/11/30 17:01:10 (permalink)
    Good for you Pete, good luck. Maybe we'll hear some of your efforts in the near future?

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:adding effects to a clip 2010/11/30 18:27:52 (permalink)
    Reverb is the main effect that busses work very well for. On occasion i will add a compression buss and use that to help lightly and very carefully add some basic compression to some tracks.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Beagle
    Re:adding effects to a clip 2010/12/02 10:22:08 (permalink)
    Peter Rabbit

Hi Beag. I'm still making music but I seldom visit the forums anymore. I've been working to improve my skills at playing both piano and guitar and it's coming along quite nicely. I also recently purchased a mandolin and have been toying around with it as well. The music is in my soul and I suppose it's here for good.

That's cool - I have been doing the same thing and haven't posted a lot of stuff lately.  I'm taking voice and piano lessons at the local community college.

I look forward to hearing some more Peter Rabbit when you get around to recording again!

welt
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:adding effects to a clip 2010/12/06 08:31:31 (permalink)
    interesting for me, thanks
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1