Music Creator 3 Sync problem

Author
Spiv
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2010/12/03 20:03:02 (permalink)

Music Creator 3 Sync problem

Hello,
I am having difficulty syncing my Tascam 2488neo with my notebook running Cakewalk Music Creator 3.  My Midi Interface is E-MU XMidi 1x1.
I am trying to use Midi Clock to run my Tascam as a Master and Music Creator as a slave.

I set my Tascam to use an internal source for its clock (Internal Mode) and generate Midi Clock messages. 

I then set Music Creator “Project Options”-“Clock” to “Midi Sync”.

I then tell Music Creator to Play (using thePlay button). Music creator waits for signal.  The Stop button (on Music creator) Grays and becomes unavailable. So far so good.

I then press “Play” on my Tascam (and the time moves on the Tascam).

At the exact instant that I press Play on the Tascam, The play button in Music Creator turns green and the stop button becomes available again.  Music creator does not play.

If I press Play on Music creator again the play button will return to normal.  Then when I check the clock setting on Music Creator, it has returned to “Audio”, not “Midi Sync”

I should also not that while the Tascam is playing, my interface shows that there is message traffic from the Tascam to my notebook.

Also Note: I have tried disconnecting the connection from the Notebook to the Tascam and that has no effect on the above.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Spiv

9 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Music Creator 3 Sync problem 2010/12/03 20:12:30 (permalink)
    I've never tried to sync MIDI with cakewalk before, so I'm not sure if I can help or not.  but I *think* I remember that cakewalk has to be the master for MIDI sync.  try using MC as the master instead of the tascam.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Spiv
    Re:Music Creator 3 Sync problem 2010/12/03 20:19:14 (permalink)
    Thanks or the advice.

I have tried to use Cakewalk as the master, the problem is that the Tascam will only be a Slave for Midi Time code which is different than the Midi Clock Sync that Music Creator 3 allows.  The Options in Music Creator's Clock portion are Audio, internal and Midi Clock.  So it seems as if Music creator can be a slave (otherwise how would one have the Midi Clock option?)

Again, thanks for the advice.  If you know of a budget software sequencer that can master or slave Midi Time Code please let me know.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Music Creator 3 Sync problem 2010/12/03 20:20:28 (permalink)
    This is something I know almost nothing about. My 2 versions of MC don't mention a single word about MIDI sync, but I got this from SONAR Home Studio 6. Mind if I ask what you're trying to accomplish?
      SONAR as the Slave
    When SONAR is slaved to an external MIDI device, the following changes occur:
      When you click the Play or Record button, a message (Waiting for MIDI Sync) is displayed in the status bar. When you start your external device, SONAR will follow. If you change the tempo using an external device, the SMPTE time code display in SONAR will be incorrect. SONAR will not transmit MIDI Start, Continue, Stop, and Clock messages. Digital audio will play back, but not necessarily in sync.
    To Use MIDI Sync with SONAR as the Slave Configure the external MIDI device you want to use as the master device to transmit MIDI Sync. Configure external slave devices to receive MIDI Sync. Choose Options-MIDI Devices to display the MIDI Devices dialog box. Make sure that your MIDI interface is highlighted in the Inputs list, and click OK. Click on the Sync toolbar to use the MIDI Sync clock source. From now on, SONAR starts playback and recording only after the appropriate message is received from the master device.
    Tip: Make sure the Status bar is displayed when using MIDI Sync. Otherwise, you will not be able to see the MIDI Sync status messages. To display the Status bar, choose Options-Global and click the General tab. Then check the Show Status Bar box.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Spiv
    Re:Music Creator 3 Sync problem 2010/12/03 20:38:00 (permalink)

I'm trying to record midi signals for drums at the same time that I record them (8 tracks simluatneously) in the Tascam. 

I am also trying to use my Tascam as the primary audio source and drive my midi gear (including drums) with the computer.

57Gregy
    Re:Music Creator 3 Sync problem 2010/12/03 21:33:44 (permalink)
    Okay.
    So you have a MIDI drum set with it's audio being output to the TASCAM to be recorded, and the MIDI being sent to MC?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

Spiv
    Re:Music Creator 3 Sync problem 2010/12/03 21:34:36 (permalink)
    Yes.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Music Creator 3 Sync problem 2010/12/03 21:50:17 (permalink)
    Are there any other existing tracks (audio or MIDI) in the MC project?
    There has to be something to play, or MC won't do anything.
    Have you tried arming the MIDI track and hitting the Record button instead of Play?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    Re:Music Creator 3 Sync problem 2010/12/03 22:02:19 (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure that MC can record multiple MIDI channels on seperate tracks while also recording the stereo output from your drums.
    If your drums can be set up to send on different channels, it should be a cinch.

Greg 

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Music Creator 3 Sync problem 2010/12/03 22:26:18 (permalink)
    you have to have SHS to record using clock sync instead of MIDI sync.

EDIT - well, I mean that's what SHS6 would do, I don't remember if SHS7 does that or not - they removed a lot of functional capabilities in SHS7.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1