VST Folder Location?

Author
silvercn
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1238
2010/12/05 14:33:37 (permalink)

VST Folder Location?

I am wondering if for the sake of overall C drive discs space, if there is any problem I should be worried about with putting my VST folder/files to an external drive - my DAW will be on C.

Thanks

3 Replies Related Threads

gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re:VST Folder Location? 2010/12/05 16:15:32 (permalink)
    No but make sure that drive is plugged in before you open any projects.

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:VST Folder Location? 2010/12/05 19:36:53 (permalink)
    silvercn

I am wondering if for the sake of overall C drive discs space, if there is any problem I should be worried about with putting my VST folder/files to an external drive - my DAW will be on C.

Thanks

With Sonar I've found that keeping the Sonar default VST install location and then custom location/s after that is the way to go.

Simply because certain Cakewalk plug-ins (e.g. Dimension Pro) won't work from a different location than the default install (without fiddling around at least).

Similarly a bona fide Audio editor such as Wavelab, Sound Forge etc, will have some non-realtime plugs that will not make much sense in a realtime host, so you may want to keep those in an application specific folder too.

That way you can set the scanned paths in Sonar to scan it's own folder and ignore the Audio app VST plug-ins and vice versa.

Over and above that any available plug-ins you want to be available to any app, put them where you desire and set up the scan paths in each app accordingly.

However as you are citing disk space being an issue I'm wondering if you are meaning VSTi's that come with large libraries, because the plug-ins themselves generally take up small amounts of space.

Generally you will want large sample libraries on your fastest drive (especially ones that are accessed direct from disk such as Kontakt) to save on loading and sample retrieval times which your external drive isn't likely to be, although it may well be fast enough not to cause issues.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/12/05 19:53:27

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:VST Folder Location? 2010/12/05 20:11:11 (permalink)
    I would consider upgrading the C drive. Buy a new, larger drive and clone the existing one into the new one. With the proper software this is pretty painless. If you are that close that you are considering moving critical files outside the box..... think upgrade and clone.

I do have a huge storage drive where I keep my massive samples libraries.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1