Book Recommendation: "Reproducing Sound"

Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2010/12/05 15:55:05 (permalink)

Book Recommendation: "Reproducing Sound"

I wouldn't normally offer a review of a book until I'd read it completely, but this one is going to take forever to finish. It's not that it's dense, although it is that. Rather, it's because every chapter gives me something to ponder, so I have to put the book down and think about the lesson I've just read and its implications. Any book that makes you think beyond what's on the printed page is a treasure to be savored.

The title is particularly unexciting: "Reproducing Sound: Loudspeakers and Rooms" by Floyd E. Toole. It wouldn't jump out at you from the bookstore shelf. It has a bland, pastel green jacket that screams "boring textbook". Frankly, I might have passed it by if not for glowing recommendations by other authors. Which is why I'm writing this: for the serious student of all things audio, it would be a real shame to miss this ugly gem.

In a nutshell, it's a book about acoustics and speakers, but that doesn't do the breadth of ideas justice. The author talks about the philosophy of preserving the Art, with a capital "A", and what that really means. About "high fidelity", why it's always been a lie and why it's an impossible goal. About something he calls the "circle of confusion", e.g. speakers being evaluated by microphones that were evaluated by other speakers that were evaluated by other microphones ad infinitum.

Let me first say that this book isn't for everyone. It's not "Acoustics for Idiots" or "Speakers for Morons". Those kinds of books definitely have their place (the original template for that genre, "DOS for Dummies" was a brilliant piece of work). "Reproducing Sound" is for folks who've already drained the beginners' books of all they have to offer and are ready to move on to the next phase. I'd put it in the same league with "The Master Handbook of Acoustics" by F. Alton Everest and "Mastering Audio" by Bob Katz.

Some of it is rather scholarly. Here's a representative exerpt:

What Haas [1972] discussed in his 1949 thesis, as well as studies by his contemporaries and those that preceded him (well summarized in Gardner 1968, 1969), was just the beginning. Recent research (e.g. Blauert, 1996; Blauert and Divenyhi, 1988; Djelani and Bauert, 2001; Litovsky et al., 1999) suggests that the precedence effect is cognitive, meaning that it occurs at a high level in the brain and not at a peripheral auditory level.

Some of it is fairly technical and assumes some prior familiarity with audio concepts, but most of it is highly accessible. If you understand the basic terminology of audio (e.g. "harmonic", "decibel" and "Q") you'll have no trouble following along. Best of all, there is very little math! Lots of graphs, but few formulas.

I like that the author does not pull punches or hedge his criticism of questionable practices with weasel words like "use your ears". He speaks with such authority (real authority, the kind backed up by annotated research) that you just know the B.S. factor is refreshingly low. For example, he makes a blunt but compelling argument against using Auratone-type lo-fi speakers for monitoring. Here's the short version:

It is disturbing to hear some people argue that they attribute some of the success of their prior recordings to a monitoring situation that is clearly aberrant...This is the kind of misguided argument that has led normally sensible people to promote the use of obviously "less than high-fidelity" loudspeakers for monitoring, on the basis that the majority of consumers will be listening through such loudspeakers.
It is true that the majority of consumers live with mediocre, even downright bad, reproduction systems. The problem is that it is possible to be "bad" in an infinite number of ways, so any boom box or rotten little speaker that is chosen to represent "bad" is just one example of how to be bad, not a universal reference."

In another chapter, he explains why comb filtering is really no big deal (at least, most of the time). Although Ethan Winer is still a hero of mine, I now understand why audio experts routinely criticize him for painting an over-simplified picture of comb filtering and its significance. In reality, comb filtering is around us all the time but we don't hear it. We can't hear it because most of the notches are too narrow to be audible, due to spectral masking. But the pictures used to sell absorbers make it look very scary.

Toole provides some great historical context, too, such as describing Edison's marketing of early gramophones with road tours featuring recordings side-by-side with the artist on the recording performing live. Interestingly, listeners often said they could not tell the difference! It just shows how the human brain has an amazing ability to fill in the blanks, so we don't notice what's missing. It's a common theme throughout the book.

Anyway, if you're hungry for info-meat and up for a slightly challenging read, I give "Sound Reproduction" two enthusiastic thumbs up.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff

4 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Book Recommendation: "Reproducing Sound" 2010/12/05 17:49:55 (permalink)
    Hi Dave I have been checking on Amazon and I just want to confirm that this is the correct book. This is the full title according to Amazon:

Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms by Floyd Toole.

Your title is slightly different and I was just wondering in case it was a different book.
    Thanks for your recommendation. If it's in the same class as Bob Katz's book then it has got to be good.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/12/05 17:51:38

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Book Recommendation: "Reproducing Sound" 2010/12/05 19:32:35 (permalink)
    I'm sure that's the one. It's from Focal Press, and the title I'm looking at on the cover reads "Sound Reproduction: Loudspeakers and Rooms" by Floyd E. Toole copyright 2008, ISBN 978-0-240-52009-4.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Book Recommendation: "Reproducing Sound" 2010/12/06 11:31:16 (permalink)
    This book is scary good! I finished it a couple of weeks ago, and I was truly disappointed that it was over. That is a rare thing for a technical book to accomplish. My copy is riddled with tabs where I've marked items that I need to go back and study.  Here it is on Amazon: Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms

bitflipper said: I like that the author does not pull punches or hedge his criticism of questionable practices with weasel words like "use your ears"
    I totally agree, but would like to add that the book constantly emphasizes all the research he did with listening tests. This is a book that constantly emphasizes the listening experience.  What Dr. Toole found out was that when given the opportunity, people recognized and agreed on what "sounds good". He then developed methods to measure speakers and rooms that then correlated with how people perceive sound.  And it turns out that the measurements of loudspeakers that are needed to provide an accurate description of how they sound are far more detailed than the vast majority of manufacturers publish.  In fact, after reading this book I've looked at a number of speaker manufacturers websites and have only come across two that actually publish useful info (1/24 octave spectra, off axis response) on their websites: Genelec and JBL.  Maybe the others will give you the data if you ask, but what are they afraid of? (It's no surprise that JBL does, since Dr. Toole worked for Harmon)

One of my favorite bits in the book is the discussion of first reflections off of side walls. It turns out that when listening for pleasure, most people like the sound of the first reflection in their room.  But when creating the sound, engineers didn't like the first reflection.  No real surprise there, right?  We all put absorbers on the wall at the first reflection point, yes?  But how many of us put up a full bandwidth absorber? Hardly anyone, I'd guess. If it's not a full bandwidth absorber, then you're still getting a lot of that first reflection, it's a low pass filtered reflection, which is much worse.  It's better to leave the first reflection point on your wall bare, than to just put a simple bit of foam up.  To do it right you need to absorb the majority of the whole reflection.  And because the room reflections are vitally important, it is likewise vitally important that your speakers have a very smooth off axis frequency response. How many manufacturers publish the off axis response of their speakers? (Genelec and JBL)

The book also has given me a greater understanding of surround mixing--not by discussing it directly, but by discussing how multiple speakers can be set up to create an "enveloping" soundfield, and what it means to have that soundfield.  Two speakers just don't cut it, and can't. But 4 can and 5 are even better. The center channel is vitally important. And anything above 5 channels reaches the point of diminishing returns. Yes, 7 channels is better than 5 (when done properly of course) but not that much better.  There are some surround mixes that I've heard that I've really loved, and some that weren't that great. This book gives clues for why that is.

And how about this? Multiple subwoofers are a good thing.  It's fairly  common knowledge that all rooms have huge peaks and nulls in their low frequency response.  Multiple subs can help smooth that out. Details in the book.

I love that he suggests that audio reviewers publish the results of their latest hearing test along with their review. I'm sure that would be interesting to say the least.  He publishes two of his hearing tests, one from long ago, and one more recent to show how hearing loss happens over the years.  He fully admits that his hearing has deteriorated and that he no longer participated in his company's listening evaluations before he retired. I think that is remarkable that he came out and did that.

Seriously, get this book. Read it and learn it.  If you can't afford it, talk your local library into getting it.  It is fantastic. 
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:Book Recommendation: "Reproducing Sound" 2010/12/07 18:38:06 (permalink)
    Found a downloadable copy of the book here; looks like I will be spending some more time staring at my computer screen :

http://www.scribd.com/doc/40410023/Sound-Reproduction-Loudspeakers-and-Rooms-Floyd-E-Toole-p569

scribd, a wonderful site for this kind of stuff, supports copyright laws, so I will assume it is legit; they check and will take it down if they find it is in violation of copyright law:

http://www.scribd.com/copyright

tarsier

One of my favorite bits in the book is the discussion of first reflections off of side walls. It turns out that when listening for pleasure, most people like the sound of the first reflection in their room.  But when creating the sound, engineers didn't like the first reflection.  No real surprise there, right?  We all put absorbers on the wall at the first reflection point, yes?  But how many of us put up a full bandwidth absorber? Hardly anyone, I'd guess. If it's not a full bandwidth absorber, then you're still getting a lot of that first reflection, it's a low pass filtered reflection, which is much worse.  It's better to leave the first reflection point on your wall bare, than to just put a simple bit of foam up.  To do it right you need to absorb the majority of the whole reflection.  And because the room reflections are vitally important, it is likewise vitally important that your speakers have a very smooth off axis frequency response. How many manufacturers publish the off axis response of their speakers? (Genelec and JBL)

The first reflection produces alternating, increasingly narrower bandwidth boosts and cuts. In a nearfield environment, expect something like maybe a +4dB low boost most likely below your monitor's range, followed by a -2-4dB dip between maybe 60Hz and 200Hz, followed by a similar (but narrower) boost an octave above that (the numbers will vary somewhat based on the distance between you, the monitors, and the reflecting surface). IOW, if you put up a typical absorber, you could fairly effectively counter the low frequency effects with a parametric EQ, if that was your room's only problem.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1